Portfish - call for professional testers

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
bpfliegel
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by bpfliegel » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Dear all,

are there any kind souls who can professionally test the performance and playing strength of my Stockfish .Net port?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43571

According to CCRL 40/40 ratings I estimate it above 3100 - particularly interesting would be short/long TC matches against Junior, Spike and Shredder, preferably x64, 4 CPU. The x64 ones are more optimized for speed than the x86 ones.

The best build so to say is the 4.5 x64 one, but that requires .Net 4.5, which is a beta framework (but has the JIT support for aggressive method inlining), so it's no use to utilize this build if .Net 4.5 is not present.
The 4.0 x64 build ranks second (this should be the targeted build) and 4.0 FW support should be present on Windows machines having the latest patches.

Hopefully posted at the right place, please let me know if not!

Thanks a lot for your help, cheers,
Balint

User avatar
gleperlier
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by gleperlier » Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm

bpfliegel wrote:Dear all,

are there any kind souls who can professionally test the performance and playing strength of my Stockfish .Net port?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43571

According to CCRL 40/40 ratings I estimate it above 3100 - particularly interesting would be short/long TC matches against Junior, Spike and Shredder, preferably x64, 4 CPU. The x64 ones are more optimized for speed than the x86 ones.

The best build so to say is the 4.5 x64 one, but that requires .Net 4.5, which is a beta framework (but has the JIT support for aggressive method inlining), so it's no use to utilize this build if .Net 4.5 is not present.
The 4.0 x64 build ranks second (this should be the targeted build) and 4.0 FW support should be present on Windows machines having the latest patches.

Hopefully posted at the right place, please let me know if not!

Thanks a lot for your help, cheers,
Balint
Hello,

I am very busy with Vitruvius tests but your work seems very interesting.

I really hope you all the best.

Gab

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by geots » Wed May 09, 2012 7:39 pm

gleperlier wrote:
bpfliegel wrote:Dear all,

are there any kind souls who can professionally test the performance and playing strength of my Stockfish .Net port?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43571

According to CCRL 40/40 ratings I estimate it above 3100 - particularly interesting would be short/long TC matches against Junior, Spike and Shredder, preferably x64, 4 CPU. The x64 ones are more optimized for speed than the x86 ones.

The best build so to say is the 4.5 x64 one, but that requires .Net 4.5, which is a beta framework (but has the JIT support for aggressive method inlining), so it's no use to utilize this build if .Net 4.5 is not present.
The 4.0 x64 build ranks second (this should be the targeted build) and 4.0 FW support should be present on Windows machines having the latest patches.

Hopefully posted at the right place, please let me know if not!

Thanks a lot for your help, cheers,
Balint
Hello,

I am very busy with Vitruvius tests but your work seems very interesting.

I really hope you all the best.

Gab

I can't even consider anything that would take all of my 4 cores. But I too wish him the best. This would be a good project for Misha- he has 6- 4cpu boxes and 2 or 3 - 6core systems. Doctors have all the money, don't they Dr. D?


gts

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9764
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed May 09, 2012 8:24 pm

geots wrote:
gleperlier wrote:
bpfliegel wrote:Dear all,

are there any kind souls who can professionally test the performance and playing strength of my Stockfish .Net port?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43571

According to CCRL 40/40 ratings I estimate it above 3100 - particularly interesting would be short/long TC matches against Junior, Spike and Shredder, preferably x64, 4 CPU. The x64 ones are more optimized for speed than the x86 ones.

The best build so to say is the 4.5 x64 one, but that requires .Net 4.5, which is a beta framework (but has the JIT support for aggressive method inlining), so it's no use to utilize this build if .Net 4.5 is not present.
The 4.0 x64 build ranks second (this should be the targeted build) and 4.0 FW support should be present on Windows machines having the latest patches.

Hopefully posted at the right place, please let me know if not!

Thanks a lot for your help, cheers,
Balint
Hello,

I am very busy with Vitruvius tests but your work seems very interesting.

I really hope you all the best.

Gab

I can't even consider anything that would take all of my 4 cores. But I too wish him the best. This would be a good project for Misha- he has 6- 4cpu boxes and 2 or 3 - 6core systems. Doctors have all the money, don't they Dr. D?


gts
Well,in general yes...but at the cost of tons of nerves wasted away and too liitle personal time to enjoy your life and evetually the hard earned money :cry:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

bpfliegel
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by bpfliegel » Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 am

I would be happy if anyone will get some spare time and horsepower to check on it. There is a kind soul named Bob on chess2u who already started helping me on initial testings. Please PM me later if someone is interested.

Thanks a lot again, cheers,
Balint

Jouni
Posts: 2133
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by Jouni » Thu May 10, 2012 7:42 am

Can't You simply measure speed difference to standard SF and do the math like here http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43598 !?
Jouni

bpfliegel
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by bpfliegel » Thu May 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Jouni wrote:Can't You simply measure speed difference to standard SF and do the math like here http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43598 !?
I wish I could but technology wise the setup is different. I already found a couple of things to overcome - after that it might apply.

Thanks anyway, cheers,
Balint

bpfliegel
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by bpfliegel » Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm

New version out here if anyone interested: https://github.com/bpfliegel/Portfish/downloads.

Plays Blitz games a lot better. Performance drops around 15% when multiple games are launched per CPU (I think this is unique for the technology utilized).

Cheers, Balint

bpfliegel
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by bpfliegel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:03 pm

New builds here:
https://github.com/downloads/bpfliegel/ ... elease.zip
No major changes: Around 7% performance gain, alignments to latest Stockfish source.

Sources here: https://github.com/bpfliegel/Portfish

Guess noone has any spare CPUs for testing :)

Cheers, Balint

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Portfish - call for professional testers

Post by michiguel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm

bpfliegel wrote:New builds here:
https://github.com/downloads/bpfliegel/ ... elease.zip
No major changes: Around 7% performance gain, alignments to latest Stockfish source.

Sources here: https://github.com/bpfliegel/Portfish

Guess noone has any spare CPUs for testing :)

Cheers, Balint
You may have a better luck if you post in the main forum. This is not the best sub-forum for announcements or requests.

Miguel

Post Reply