Plagiarism

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Plagiarism

Post by Rebel »

Don wrote: By the "dictionary" definition of plagiarism which you take absolutely literal, I am a plagiarist. Do you agree that this construct makes me a plagiarist?
By the Rybka verdict of the ICGA yes, we all are.

But more important, do you agree with:

Every chess programmer can code but the main secret to success is not to code but about ideas, new ideas especially. An average programmer with excellent ideas can lead the field, an expert programmer with average ideas never will.
MM

Post by MM »

Rebel wrote:
Don wrote: By the "dictionary" definition of plagiarism which you take absolutely literal, I am a plagiarist. Do you agree that this construct makes me a plagiarist?

Every chess programmer can code but the main secret to success is not to code but about ideas, new ideas especially. An average programmer with excellent ideas can lead the field, an expert programmer with average ideas never will.
+1
MM
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote: How about typing something that actually makes sense? "Computer software plagiarism." Read some of the stuff you get there.
I am not one of your students. Here is your claim. Uncredited so far. So worthless. Until you back it up.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: How about typing something that actually makes sense? "Computer software plagiarism." Read some of the stuff you get there.
I am not one of your students. Here is your claim. Uncredited so far. So worthless. Until you back it up.
He expects you should know and if not research it. His students are by far more reasonable or they would be out on their ears.

Ed, just cut the crap.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

MM wrote:
Rebel wrote:

+1
Thanks "Twitty"... :roll:
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:

Would you PLEASE stop making false statements? Also known as lies? The ICGA verdict said absolutely NOTHING about "ideas". It only mentioned source code. Not ideas. And you know that. EVERYBODY else knows that...

The ICGA verdict had nothing to do with ideas. Ideas were NEVER mentioned. Not ONCE.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
Simple statement: "fall through your ass and hang yourself."

We went thru this with the Rybka assembly language code. I'm not going through it again. You can either act like a grown man, look up copyright law and see the EXPLICIT exclusion of "ideas". Or you can do as you did the last time, and go pout again...
Milos

Post by Milos »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Laskos wrote: By many definitions of plagiarism, say one with some more or less shades, you certainly have some shades of plagiarism. I would really like to see your prowess as a chess programmer in the 1960es, if you so blatantly claim that only some few, you among them, are building wheels. Really? What original wheel did you invent? Can you elaborate? And I would really like to see you without Fruit/Strelka/Glaurung/StockFish/IvanHoe and even Houdini (you seem to have its sources) open sources. For now, your "utterly original" wheels are the level of a _textbook_ called IvanHoe, that in science research is called "utter failure", "utter incompetence" and an "utterly unpublishable work". Are you doing "science research" or "science education", "science history", "science morals"? At my PhD, the weakest students, unable to do research, were going to "science education", and there is no other way around. Judging by your results and posturing, there is no way to science research for you too. Go on with education.

Kai
Kai, do you know Don's history in computer chess? From what I just read I don't think so. I think you need to do some research.
Just being present and writing chess programs for 30 years doesn't make you a researcher (despite what is written in chess programming wiki).
Since you know computer chess history very well could you please enlighten us by showing one important chess programming idea (not the whole concept or technique, only 1 important idea is sufficient) that actually and originally came from Don (and not from someone else) for all those 30 years of making computer chess programming history?
Could you point us please to at least 1 significant ICGA or any other research publication authored by Don for last 30 years (and please don't make ppl laugh by the Cilk paper :))?
And even regarding scientific education I would not be so generous as Kai. Is there somewhere a source of a program that Don published to the community so far? What are the students he educated? What are young programmers that learned chess programming and took inspiration from his work and sources of his programs?
Sorry but for the development of chess programming and for chess education of future programmers Ivanhoe (Vas I will not even mention coz it would be like comparing Newton and my primary school physics teacher) is infinity more important than Don. I know truth can be painful sometimes, but it's good to look it in the eye sometimes.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Roger Brown wrote:I have no Ivanhoe axe to grind, I am just not agreeing that Ivanhoe is all there is in chess programming. I do not think that strength alone should be the sole - or most important - criteria in what interests me in a chess program.
I would say your preference as chess programs user certainly doesn't define what's important in the course of chess programming nor it has to do anything with chess programming research. Seams you give yourself too much importance...
Terry McCracken

Milos wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Laskos wrote: By many definitions of plagiarism, say one with some more or less shades, you certainly have some shades of plagiarism. I would really like to see your prowess as a chess programmer in the 1960es, if you so blatantly claim that only some few, you among them, are building wheels. Really? What original wheel did you invent? Can you elaborate? And I would really like to see you without Fruit/Strelka/Glaurung/StockFish/IvanHoe and even Houdini (you seem to have its sources) open sources. For now, your "utterly original" wheels are the level of a _textbook_ called IvanHoe, that in science research is called "utter failure", "utter incompetence" and an "utterly unpublishable work". Are you doing "science research" or "science education", "science history", "science morals"? At my PhD, the weakest students, unable to do research, were going to "science education", and there is no other way around. Judging by your results and posturing, there is no way to science research for you too. Go on with education.

Kai
Kai, do you know Don's history in computer chess? From what I just read I don't think so. I think you need to do some research.
Just being present and writing chess programs for 30 years doesn't make you a researcher (despite what is written in chess programming wiki).
Since you know computer chess history very well could you please enlighten us by showing one important chess programming idea (not the whole concept or technique, only 1 important idea is sufficient) that actually and originally came from Don (and not from someone else) for all those 30 years of making computer chess programming history?
Could you point us please to at least 1 significant ICGA or any other research publication authored by Don for last 30 years (and please don't make ppl laugh by the Cilk paper :))?
And even regarding scientific education I would not be so generous as Kai. Is there somewhere a source of a program that Don published to the community so far? What are the students he educated? What are young programmers that learned chess programming and took inspiration from his work and sources of his programs?
Sorry but for the development of chess programming and for chess education of future programmers Ivanhoe (Vas I will not even mention coz it would be like comparing Newton and my primary school physics teacher) is infinity more important than Don. I know truth can be painful sometimes, but it's good to look it in the eye sometimes.
You're obviously talking about yourself. I know you're behind Ivanhoe. I know you took it from Vas. Vas stole from Fabien. Yeah, you guys are geniuses. And it's people not ppl...save that for your phone texting, script kiddie.
Terry McCracken