WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Locked
User avatar
Peter Skinner
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Full name: Peter Skinner
Contact:

WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Peter Skinner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Hiarcs and Shredder needed to win their final games to overtake Junior to become the WCCC 2011 Champion, but both only managed to secure a half point.

Junior faced Hiarcs in the final round and Shredder's final dance partner was Jonny. Both games ended in the same fashion, a draw.

Therefore, Amir Ban and Shay Bushinsky are the 2011 World Computer Chess Champions.

Congratulations to the Junior team on a very well played event and I look forward to the upcoming versions to be released before Christmas.

Peter
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

User avatar
fern
Posts: 8755
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by fern » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm

No doubt Junior is a great engine, I bought the last one time ago and I happy with it, but surely I would like it in a tourn against the engines that all know are the strongest, cloned or not.
I have not organized a tourn, but maybe someone did...or will. I would like to know about THOSE results.

Fern

User avatar
mhull
Posts: 12496
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Full name: Matthew Hull

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by mhull » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:41 pm

fern wrote:I would like it in a tourn against the engines that all know are the strongest, cloned or not.
That's like wanting to see clean athletes compete against doping athletes.
Matthew Hull

MM
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 am

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by MM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Peter Skinner wrote:Hiarcs and Shredder needed to win their final games to overtake Junior to become the WCCC 2011 Champion, but both only managed to secure a half point.

Junior faced Hiarcs in the final round and Shredder's final dance partner was Jonny. Both games ended in the same fashion, a draw.

Therefore, Amir Ban and Shay Bushinsky are the 2011 World Computer Chess Champions.

Congratulations to the Junior team on a very well played event and I look forward to the upcoming versions to be released before Christmas.

Peter
Hi,

with respect to Junior's programmers i'm waiting for the real world chess software championship that starts tomorrow (with all partecipants with the same hardware).

Regards
MM

Lion
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:26 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Lion » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Which tournament ?
Are there some info somewhere ?
Rgds

MM
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 am

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by MM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Lion wrote:Which tournament ?
Are there some info somewhere ?
Rgds
Hi,
yes, look at here:

http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/resear ... ents/icga/

Regards
MM

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33258
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Congratulations Amir and Shay.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 4852
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Peter,

that are good news. I like the playing style Junior has and after the little comeback with Junior 2010, Junior 11, 12, an 12.5 is clear to see that Amir have success in the development of Junior.

A small tourney this year but with interesting engines.

Congratulations to Amir and all others participant programmers. All are winners! Amir more as the others :-) but winners are all.

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

User avatar
kranium
Posts: 1824
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 am

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by kranium » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:10 pm

fern wrote:No doubt Junior is a great engine, I bought the last one time ago and I happy with it, but surely I would like it in a tourn against the engines that all know are the strongest, cloned or not.
I have not organized a tourn, but maybe someone did...or will. I would like to know about THOSE results.

Fern
+1
Agreed..

The World Champion should normally be the strongest program available...
this year = Houdini

and towards that goal, the tournament should be 'open' format, not a hand-picked selection of 'approved' programs...
apparently the organizers can 'divine' which programs are 'clean' and which are not?

(like they knew the last 5 years w/ Rybka?)

the fact that Houdini is excluded is a travesty...
all due to the CCC establishment erroneously, unfairly, and without any evidence, labeling and blacklisting Ippolit engines as 'the clones'...

what a farce this has become.

referring to what M. Hull posted:
the ippolit source code is now known 'clean', thus competing against it is not akin to competing against a 'doped' athlete...they analogy is ridiculous.

tomgdrums
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:48 am

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by tomgdrums » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:25 pm

kranium wrote:
fern wrote:No doubt Junior is a great engine, I bought the last one time ago and I happy with it, but surely I would like it in a tourn against the engines that all know are the strongest, cloned or not.
I have not organized a tourn, but maybe someone did...or will. I would like to know about THOSE results.

Fern
+1
Agreed..

The World Champion should normally be the strongest program available...
this year = Houdini

and towards that goal, the tournament should be 'open' format, not a hand-picked selection of 'approved' programs...
apparently the organizers can 'divine' which programs are 'clean' and which are not?

(like they knew the last 5 years w/ Rybka?)

the fact that Houdini is excluded is a travesty...
all due to the CCC establishment erroneously, unfairly, and without any evidence, labeling and blacklisting Ippolit engines as 'the clones'...

what a farce this has become.
With all due respect Norman, I believe Robert Houdart himself chose to not enter into the competition. If he had chosen to enter any burden would have been on ICGA.

I say that with the full disclosure that Houdini has become my main engine for doing post mortem analysis on my OTB games.

Locked