Logicial "open letter" consequence: SWCR ended!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alexander Schmidt

Re: Logicial "open letter" consequence: SWCR ended

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:But if you like you can read this one:
http://forum.computerschach.de/cgi-bin/ ... l?tid=3975
Sorry, nothing new inside.

You denounce the fair sportsmen who don't want to face a cheater. You say the letter was the wrong way. It was not. A tournament director did a mistake. He invited someone who was convicted of cheating and banned from official tournaments. If a cheater is allowed to start at official tournaqments then this would legalize what the cheater did. The only way to face such unfairness is to go to public.

The damage to computerchess is not done by this letter, the damage is done by the cheater and the people who accept the cheater because of the absurd reason he is better than the others.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Alexander,

OK, if you will not understand the main problem you should discuss about your points for the next 30 years. I wish you many fun!

Believe me, I can used my time better!

Best
Frank

But perhaps:
You can give us a solution?

What you wrote here isn't a solution, only a discussion I read now more as 1.000x without any results. And please thinking on all the new Houdini's which will be available in the next years. Should be important for find out a good solutiion.

What you wrote here is very boring for myself! I think we should come back to the reality.
geots

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

after all the FRC things I do in the past ... no, no chess is my topic.

But so far I have really a problem to find a good GUI for my chess activities. I will try out Winboard again and perhaps I start a new ratinglist with other engines, we have more as 500 ... no problem for myself, because I will have fun with my own work, each time, again and again.

Stockfish, Spark, Critter, Naum in combination with many other amateurs. Very interesting on Chiron so far.

Best
Frank

It's all backwards anyway. Looking at the rating list, it would make more sense for Critter and Stockfish to be commercial, and Shredder, Hiarcs and for damn sure Chess Tiger to be freeware.

Only fair to tell you up front- I have a new policy of only reading responses from people: 1. I respect 2. who make sense
Frank Quisinsky

Hi George,

Stockfish will be never commercial if I understand the interview I made with the Stockfish team.

I am very happy about it not to find the signature from the Stockfish team on this open letter and from so many other persons I have a very high opinion.

This open letter signature "only" a small group of programmers. That give me hope!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Easy, the group Alex have in his brain :-)

That is the main problem we have in computer chess fora. Each one have right. Not a good position to solved really an problem. And so long this one never will understand so long we discuss about clones.

Really easy!

And if we found nothing to solve this problem ...
We can write an open letter.

Now we have number two ...
A await the next one, the next tourney will be available in a short time. Let us await the third open letter :-)

HELP, what for a nonsens!

Best
Frank
geots

Re: A good example: The programmer of Chiron wrote ...

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:What I like to support is this one, honest programmers!

The Chiron programmer wrote in CSS forum:
He goes with a good example in front of all the older commercial "Open Letters Programmers".

Code: Select all

I've been taught to be honest and to thank who, or whose work, helped me. Thinking about that, I should have also thanked Tom Kerrigan and Adrien Regimbald, because looking at TSCP and Faile, I understood, when I was a kid, how a chess program works and how it is structured.

The fact that some engine author doesn't write in the readme file or in the website that he looked at other engines' sources doesn't mean he didn't. For example, Don Dailey wrote several times at talkchess that he tried several ideas from Stockfish and Ippolit and that Stockfish ideas worked better for Komodo.
If it might feel you more comfortable about Chiron, I could remove that sentence and replace it with a general "Thanks to every engine author who shared his work"
Could be interesting for the Houdini programmer: "All is from myself"

What the Chiron programmer wrote is the future of computer chess. Programmers should look in open sources by others, should used ideas but never should say: All is from myself! Such things I will support in the future. I think we have to thinking about it that a wheel can't invented 500 times again and again. The fantastic work Fabien and others do should be readable in the textfiles by the programmers.

You are taking some things a bit out of context. I imagine Robert in saying "All is from myself" meant all the important parts that mean the diff. between success and failure.

If you look again, I think you will see he also made that statement when he was getting a bit sick of being accused of everything from the assassination of Abraham Lincoln to global warming.

He probably hasn't yet mastered the art of semantics. When he does, then he can say, "I tried several ideas from bingo and bongo."
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Hello dear Frank,

Really sad and shocking news of ending SWCR...

But anyway i respect your decision and i give you understanding

As we see,unfortunately now ComputerChess is really in crisis and sick
And for solution....we need to find a Professor Doctor Docent urgently :)

One thing more (as i mentioned before):nowadays its very hard to find an original work
Mostly of us are concentrated only on TOP Chess Programs about which are clones or not...
But my feelings say that there are many other chess programs,where they are still counting as original work

Who knows...maybe its needed more time to look more carefully at the originality of the rest chess engines

And last:which original chess engines we should test ?!
I think this number will be no more than 20-30 original chess engines

BTW,your site was one of my favorites and i hope/believe you will come with a very good interesting project!

Best Wishes,
Sedat
Alexander Schmidt

SzG wrote:Which group to believe?
Do you believe Ben Johnson? He said someone mixed the stereoids into his food.
Alexander Schmidt

Frank Quisinsky wrote:You can give us a solution?
Yes, my solution is to ban the cheaters not the honest proigrammers.
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Frank, I share your disgust with the actions being taken by the anti-Rybka faction, whom I believe have collectively taken leave of their senses.

My feeling is that the worst thing that can happen is a counter-reaction which sets in concrete the current animosities. What we need is the pillars of the hobby (people like you) carrying on as if it were universally known that the offending programmers were suffering from a bad case of malaria. In other words, some of us have to be adults and retain a sense of proportion. We don't need emotional protests; we need cool wisdom.

The best thing you could do, and everyone in the hobby could do, would be to take punitive actions against nobody, least of all against ourselves.

SWCR was a worthy undertaking. I valued your games and your results. Many others did too. By rending your garments in this way you hurt all of us, just because several programmers are suffering from "malaria". Let them recover their health in good time. We who are healthy have to carry on, right? :wink: