Naum 4.2 !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

alpha123

Re: Naum 4.2 !

Post by alpha123 »

naum wrote:Hi,

After finishing my 64-bit improvements test results indicated bigger gain then what I expected from just a speed increase (probably result of changed move ordering).
I don't think it's a rip-off. Hopefully tests by CEGT/CCRL will prove me right.

I have to admit I feel a bit guilty since I didn't work very hard on this version, but I found out from 4.1 that sending an update to hundreds of customers is a lot of work and this will pay for my time and narrow the update base only to people who are still interested in the engine.

Next thing I plan to try are some of the Robbo ideas, so there may be another free update (or new pay version if ELO increase is big).

Regards,
Alex
Really glad you are working on Naum again. Expect me to buy it when I get the money :P.

50 elo is pretty impressive. You're now like ~20 elo behind Rybka 3, I think 8-).

Peter
Arturo Ochoa

Naum 4.2 : waiting for the update

Post by Arturo Ochoa »

Hello:

I bought Naum after the 4.1 upgrade.

I am waiting for the free update.

Thank you.

/Arturo Ochoa
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

alpha123 wrote:50 elo is pretty impressive. You're now like ~20 elo behind Rybka 3, I think 8-).
Peter
Hm,
I have another result:

5 Rybka 3 x64 1CPU 3100
47 Naum 4 x64 1CPU 2973

Naum 4.2 x64 1CPU = 3023 - so still 70-80 elos ahead.
Werner
Graham Banks

Re: Naum 4.2 : waiting for the update

Post by Graham Banks »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:Hello:

I bought Naum after the 4.1 upgrade.

I am waiting for the free update.

Thank you.

/Arturo Ochoa
Pretty sure the website mentions around the 20th March as when it will be available.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

After finishing my 64-bit improvements test results indicated bigger gain then what I expected from just a speed increase (probably result of changed move ordering).

I have to admit I feel a bit guilty since I didn't work very hard on this version, but I found out from 4.1 that sending an update to hundreds of customers is a lot of work and this will pay for my time and narrow the update base only to people who are still interested in the engine.

Next thing I plan to try are some of the Robbo ideas, so there may be another free update (or new pay version if ELO increase is big).

Regards,
Alex
Your efforts are much appreciated Alex and I for one support you 100% :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Regards,
Alex

This is awesome news! Do the new improvements center mostly on 64 bit versions? I am still hanging in the 32 bit area. Either way I am excited as Naum 4.1 is a great engine for analysis!!
naum

Post by naum »

Nothing changed in regards to Naum development. Still doing it when I find some free time at work. I got a bit lucky with 4.2
I'm testing the 32-bit version and even though it's only 10% faster I'm getting considerably more then expected ~10 ELO.
But my testing is very bad, so you should definitely not buy it based on what I say.
I'm curious as anyone to see what will CEGT/CCRL get. I hope to get very close to Rybka 3 in long time controls, but that may only be a wishfull thinking :)
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

That's a very constructive and sincere handling with these engines by a renowned author. Wish I were a chess programmer too : )
RN
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
jpqy wrote:Naum 4.2 +50Elo !!
http://naumchess.brinkster.net/
JP.
And +25€
I usually don't buy every version of an engine. I purchased Naum 4 only because Alex said it is probably the last one. And if there would be an update it would be for free.
Now I would have to pay 25€ for an update from 4.1 to 4.2.
I'll drop this one...
First of all, congrats to A. Naumov that he enjoys chess programming again. BTW, of course I also hope that excellent programmers like Fabien Letouzey , Anthony Cozzie and Christoph Théron will rejoin the frontline engine makers as soon as possible. But it's only the wishful thinking of a simple Multi Processor 64 Bit Chess Engine Tournament Fan (MP64CETF) :)
Well, after good mood has returned and he has overcome the paralyzing Rybka agony, the author of Naum found himself confronted with the catch-22 situation (Ok,Ok, it's my interpretation). On the one hand his promise that he will only, - if at all -, be busy in free updates, on the other hand there was the memorization that he was long before on the commercial side of chess software production. On short, he want's to be payed for his work, an attitude which is to be found still very frequently on our planet . And, as I believe, he has found an excellent algorithm to solve the dilemma. With nearly biblical wisdom he deals according to the principle: Give unto the people of Pro Deo, the 4.1 update with 25 Elo, and give unto the people willing to pay, the 4.2 version with 50 Elo. Simply salomonic .

Yes, indeed, User, you can't demand one single Elo for a free update, you can be quite content with a little bug correction. Therefore, thank you, Mr. Naumov for your generous 4.1 update and of course I'll buy the 4.2 version. 50 Eurocent for one Elo, that would be in effect 1500 Euro for an 3000 Elo engine. Do you consider this, User ;)
Well, I'll also buy Deep Fritz 12, and Deep Rybka 4 (in the case of materialization) and perhaps Deep Hiarcs 13 (waiting to the Elos) and Deep Junior 11 and... Stop! Wait a minute! Deep Junior? No, probably not. I don't like being ordered against which opponents I'm allowed to let this engine play. I've invited free Firebird to my tournaments and it entertains me very well. The boring Rybka dominance is finally over.
RN
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

we can hope that his comments are as pessimistcally as his naum 4.1, in which case, the gap might be narrower and the money worth it. though i am a notorious sap when it comes to these things anyway.

btw, im also very much impressed with what youre doing alex & hope we see a naum 5 at some point.