The great disappearing act : Toby Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

Re: The great disappearing act : Toby Chess

Post by tomgdrums »

Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote: Seems the site is back up
Steve
Can't see any sign of the Toby-Tal chess engine there any more, unless I've missed something?
Hey Graham,

I don't think the Toby-Tal engine was ever listed on their actual website. As I stated before the whole Toby Chess things looks fishy.

Most of their products (DVDs and CDs) are pdf scans of other peoples books. Some may be common domain some may not.

For instance their Endgame DVD is just scanned PDFs of the entire Enyclopedia of Chess Endings and Averbahk's Comprehensive Chess Course volumes. I don't think those are common domain. I could be wrong. That is why I never bought the aforementioned endgame DVD from them. It just smelled funny and didn't pass the eyeball test!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote: Seems the site is back up
Steve
Can't see any sign of the Toby-Tal chess engine there any more, unless I've missed something?
Fairly good reason to give when reporting the listing i would think
Ebay will query the seller about that
im betting that if Vas reported the listing and a query is generated this Toby chess guy will not want any headaches and drop the listing like a hot potato

Ebay can threaten to suspend the seller and with 355 sales on Ebay(total completed auctions) i am betting the auction listing is history

Steve
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

There is a free download of the Deep Tactics 4.1 interface (211 mb) at

http://www.tobychess.com/tobychess_2_006.htm

Has anyone tried this yet?
towforce

Post by towforce »

The message says that the site owner has exceeded their bandwidth limit. If this is correct, then it implies that somebody has launched a denial of service attack against it.
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

towforce wrote:
The message says that the site owner has exceeded their bandwidth limit. If this is correct, then it implies that somebody has launched a denial of service attack against it.
Yes, you are correct. I wasn't getting this message yesterday, but now i am. :(
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

towforce wrote:
I am sure it only means that some people have downloaded the 211MB thing ;-)

Guenther
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...