Chessbase Promoting RobboLito?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Chessbase Promoting RobboLito?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:I see that everybody else has their name quoted in full. Who are you? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :wink:
Unfortunately, I can't edit the user name.

Go through the book section of http://www.playwitharena.com/ and you will see who I am. :)
Okay. 8-)
One Playchess rule that is quite clear is that Users who do not put their full name in their profile will not have a rank above pawn. In his Profile it just says Franklin T.

To answer his other point although I think it is quite clear when Holger said he did not work in the Bureau he was referring to the fact that he had no idea why you had not received a reply from them. Playchess policy is clear on Robbo and Ippo, they are not allowed. If you join Playchess like with any club you agree to abide by the rules.

Copying and pasting chat is not the best way to prove what is said as it can easily be edited - much better to take a screen shot.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:I see that everybody else has their name quoted in full. Who are you? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :wink:

Go through the book section of http://www.playwitharena.com/ and you will see who I am. :)
Okay. 8-)
One Playchess rule that is quite clear is that Users who do not put their full name in their profile will not have a rank above pawn. In his Profile it just says Franklin T.

To answer his other point although I think it is quite clear when Holger said he did not work in the Bureau he was referring to the fact that he had no idea why you had not received a reply from them. Playchess policy is clear on Robbo and Ippo, they are not allowed. If you join Playchess like with any club you agree to abide by the rules.
I'm just a vaguely interested outsider in this matter, but is that 'not allowed' in the sense of 'can't be used in the engine room' or 'not allowed' in the sense of 'may not be named'? Seems like the former is reasonable, if there are doubts as to the legitimate nature of the engine (although this is another subject of debate and obfuscation on all sides). The latter is just plain dumb, whether you base your thinking on political theory, psychology or common sense.

Jeremy
Harvey Williamson

sockmonkey wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
kingliveson wrote:

Okay. 8-)

I'm just a vaguely interested outsider in this matter, but is that 'not allowed' in the sense of 'can't be used in the engine room' or 'not allowed' in the sense of 'may not be named'? Seems like the former is reasonable, if there are doubts as to the legitimate nature of the engine (although this is another subject of debate and obfuscation on all sides). The latter is just plain dumb, whether you base your thinking on political theory, psychology or common sense.

Jeremy
If you are spamming the chat with it you will be warned if you dont shut up you risk being muted. There are several conversations about both engines each day that are allowed.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I don't see what the big deal is. The policy of Playchess has always been to try to prevent use of clones or pirated engines. This is not the first time that cloned or pirate discussions have not been allowed and probably will not be the last time. If such conditions are not acceptable you can always decide to move your business elsewhere.
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
There are many individuals using bogus names and texts. I don't expect there to be house cleaning by going through the lists and demoting accounts suspected of using false identities. Since the text fields only requires 2 strings, I used my real name and the first character of my last name. Not filling in your name is not a policy violation--this is optional for ranking purposes. He demoted my rank which he had every right to do.
Harvey Williamson wrote: To answer his other point although I think it is quite clear when Holger said he did not work in the Bureau he was referring to the fact that he had no idea why you had not received a reply from them. Playchess policy is clear on Robbo and Ippo, they are not allowed. If you join Playchess like with any club you agree to abide by the rules.

This is not about whether or not I was using this playchess prohibited chess engine. Four emails sent since 11.25.09 and not a single reply or acknowledgment of my emails. Another email was sent today and I will be surprised if I got a response.
Harvey Williamson wrote: Copying and pasting chat is not the best way to prove what is said as it can easily be edited - much better to take a screen shot.
Let us not insinuate. If you have evidence that what was posted here is not the actual text from your server, make it available to the public. I know Holger Lieske logs the chats--he told me this after I let him know that I log the chats from the server at which time he changed his tone towards me. He even posted a comment I made to another user a few days back telling that user that he cannot use the engine because it is prohibited though i disagree with the rule.

The bottom line, Holger Lieske behaved unprofessionally the way he handled himself. So he felt embarrassed because I summarized and posted what he said in the engine room to the English Channel and therefore he goes and disables my account without there being any violation of the site policy?
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

sockmonkey wrote:

Jeremy
The discussion of Ippolit/RobboLito is not prohibited on the server to my knowledge. And I am certain, Harvey Williamson is not accusing of spamming.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Rolf wrote:
kingliveson wrote: Is it ok to accuse someone of wrongdoing without providing proof?
Look, Franklin. You have no case! That is your problem. Playchess reacted exactly in a counter way to what you want to imply here, namely that this program you mentioned is sound. It is not for ChessBase at least and they wont let you play with that engine. Period.

But you can now come back here and endlessly mourn about the lacking proof from Vas. But you are incapable of realising that Playchess basically supports Vas. However this is bad news for you and you wont repeat it with joy.

Further questions? No tears! You wanted to implement a clone over there and they said NO!

Look Franklin, you dont have a complete name. So, it makes fun for you to quote all the stuff from Holger. Yes, that is funny. Why in hell the World doesnt like terrorists and anonymity?
ChessBase will support the next heyday of the computer chess scene and there is a big possibility that this won't be Rybka....Business has nothing to do with sects Rolf,try to understand that....
You say chess terrorists,I say lying the customers because of $$$,but this won't last long,it's the begining of the end,Rybka is no longer number one whether you like it or not....
Good night and sleep tight,
Dr.D
I think that rybka is still the number 1 engine.
I know no engine that can beat Deep rybka3 on a quad and
I believe that Vas has a better version than Deep rybka3 that he does not sell.

Uri
Harvey Williamson

M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Really ... some of you guys take chess servers too seriously. What's up with that? It is supposed to be just a place to have a few fun games or to test book lines or to observe matches in Chess Competitions all over the world. Again if you don't like how the server is run then take your business elsewhere, it would serve both sides. Some of the rules on Playchess I agree are silly, and I remember an earlier time where a sysop was a real pain in the ass and I did leave. But recently things have changed and I have not had any problems.

By the way the sysops represent Chessbase whether you like it or not. Asking if this is Chessbase policy everytime a sysop does something you don't like is silly. Simply email Chessbase with why you are not happy and the circumstances, if CB think you have a point they will get rid of the sysop. I know they did when I complained some time back. But really pushing for the use of a cloned engine, especially an engine which has been labeled as a clone by one of the CB products authors is going to get you nowhere. CB gets revenue from the sale of Rybka, if they do not protect the intelectual rights of one of their most profitable products then they would be open to lawsuits or simply a loss of Rybka. It is a business and legal decision and they have every right to do what they think is best for them. If you try to circumvent their system by using re-named cloned engine, they also have the right to hit hard.

Again if you don't like the way things are run then complain to CB directly, if you are not satisfied with CB response or don't get any response then move your business elsewhere. Simple as that.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

M ANSARI wrote:Really ... some of you guys take chess servers too seriously. What's up with that? It is supposed to be just a place to have a few fun games or to test book lines or to observe matches in Chess Competitions all over the world. Again if you don't like how the server is run then take your business elsewhere, it would serve both sides. Some of the rules on Playchess I agree are silly, and I remember an earlier time where a sysop was a real pain in the ass and I did leave. But recently things have changed and I have not had any problems.

By the way the sysops represent Chessbase whether you like it or not. Asking if this is Chessbase policy everytime a sysop does something you don't like is silly. Simply email Chessbase with why you are not happy and the circumstances, if CB think you have a point they will get rid of the sysop. I know they did when I complained some time back. But really pushing for the use of a cloned engine, especially an engine which has been labeled as a clone by one of the CB products authors is going to get you nowhere. CB gets revenue from the sale of Rybka, if they do not protect the intelectual rights of one of their most profitable products then they would be open to lawsuits or simply a loss of Rybka. It is a business and legal decision and they have every right to do what they think is best for them. If you try to circumvent their system by using re-named cloned engine, they also have the right to hit hard.

Again if you don't like the way things are run then complain to CB directly, if you are not satisfied with CB response or don't get any response then move your business elsewhere. Simple as that.
Totaly agreed....it's common sense....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….