Plagiarism and Rybka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Enir
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Enir » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 am

I have permission to translate into English (my spanglish, apologies) and post the email I received from a world name novelist who is also a chess and computer-chess lover. He prefers to stay anonymous for the time being. Here it is:

I find it fascinating to realize how interdisciplinary studies can shed light over fields apparently unrelated.

There is perhaps nothing like literature to find about the unbearable lightness of plagiarism.

Dante became famous in his times for the opening clause of his Commedia: “Nel mezzo del cammin” (In the middle of the journey). It was the exact beginning of a letter addressed to the Pope by Thomas of Aquino, describing his travels through Lombardy. When the Commedia appeared some 50 years later, inquisitors (then called “enanos”, dwarfs) from the Saint Office prosecuted Dante for “unholy word robbing”, and rightly so, I may add. The Commedia being the highest form of poetry ever written did not condone the inadmissible appropriation of a full half sentence of Thomas of Aquino. Copyright didn’t yet exist, but the Saint Inquisition filled the gap and the infamous plagiarist had to flee from his beloved Florence and died in the cold solitude of his exile in Ravenna.

Cervantes himself is another rewarding case of the triumph of justice over intellectual misappropriation. The famous “a mí, Sabino, que los arrollo” of the great Count Alfredo Distéfano was literally copied in Cervantes’ early work “La soledad del arquero ante la pena máxima”. Inquisitors were once again up to the task of “morality over all” (famous precedent of the German “über alles”) and prosecuted that thief of words, who had to join the Foreign Legion, losing his left arm as a consequence. Crime pays.

Being an English speaking forum, CCC members will be, of course, familiar with Shakespeare’s appropriation of "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark”, sentence that originally belongs in the official account of Lord James Stewart, then ambassador of England in the court of Denmark. Ever since, the authorship of Shakespeare’s works has been disputed. “Fool me once…”

The analogy with the Rybka-Fruit case may be engrossing for all of us. It does not matter that Rybka is a unique phenomena in the history of computer chess, if it is finally proven that it contains indeed a copied line of the UCI protocol of Fruit. Fortunately, in our times we have civil prosecutors instead of inquisitors, but the morals are nonetheless identical now as in the old times: regardless of the greatness of Dante, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Rybka, crime pays.

Relieved and reassured for living amongst watchers of high morality,
X

User avatar
GenoM
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Contact:

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by GenoM » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 pm

*deleted by myself*
take it easy :)

User avatar
Rolf
Posts: 6081
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: Munster, Nuremberg, Princeton

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Rolf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz

Terry McCracken
Posts: 16464
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Terry McCracken » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Rolf wrote:Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
cracklesnaphsss.......

Tony Thomas

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Tony Thomas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:49 am

Terry McCracken wrote:
Rolf wrote:Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
cracklesnaphsss.......
Potato Chips.. :lol:

cosmicnut
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:19 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by cosmicnut » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:30 am

Enrique,
That was wonderfully and artfully stated.
Please thank the author for me.

Kind regards from exile,
Ronaldo

Terry McCracken
Posts: 16464
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Terry McCracken » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:09 am

Tony Thomas wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Rolf wrote:Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
cracklesnaphsss.......
Potato Chips.. :lol:
Lots of noise, no substance...no value.

Tony Thomas

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Tony Thomas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 am

Terry McCracken wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Rolf wrote:Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
cracklesnaphsss.......
Potato Chips.. :lol:
Lots of noise, no substance...no value.
To me Crackleshphass sounded like the name of a fancy variety of potato chips..I agree that what rolf said is pure bull.

Terry McCracken
Posts: 16464
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by Terry McCracken » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:58 am

Tony Thomas wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Rolf wrote:Enrique,
my newest research has discovered that Rybka is primarily a Go program and not made for chess. Only by chance Vasik had found out that Rybka could also play decent chess. Now if this could happen it's not strange if Rybka also looks like Fruit or Fritz. Perhaps this helps.
cracklesnaphsss.......
Potato Chips.. :lol:
Lots of noise, no substance...no value.
To me Crackleshphass sounded like the name of a fancy variety of potato chips..I agree that what rolf said is pure bull.
:lol:

Nothing but static, potato chips/computer chips, all the same to Rolf. :P

User avatar
mariaclara
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: Sulu Sea

Re: Plagiarism and Rybka

Post by mariaclara » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:48 pm

:wink:
hehehe.... :roll:
.
.

................. Mu Shin ..........................

Post Reply