Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Tony Thomas

Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Tony Thomas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:12 am

Did anyone had any idea that Delfi supported Multi-processors? I dont remember seeing any testing group testing the engine with more than one processors. I just saw that while changing the absolute score in the configuration file. May be this is a new feature..

Later
Tony

User avatar
beachknight
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Contact:

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by beachknight » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 am

just noticed, Tony.

I'll try with

CPU_THREADS=2

and

CPU_THREADS=4

later.

best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33145
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:03 am

Tony Thomas wrote:Did anyone had any idea that Delfi supported Multi-processors? I dont remember seeing any testing group testing the engine with more than one processors. I just saw that while changing the absolute score in the configuration file. May be this is a new feature..

Later
Tony
My understanding is that it can use either 1CPU or 2CPU.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

Tony Thomas

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Tony Thomas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:Did anyone had any idea that Delfi supported Multi-processors? I dont remember seeing any testing group testing the engine with more than one processors. I just saw that while changing the absolute score in the configuration file. May be this is a new feature..

Later
Tony
My understanding is that it can use either 1CPU or 2CPU.
That's what I thought as well. Keep this a secret from Harun, let him figure that out the hard way..

terminator

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by terminator » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:31 am

Code: Select all

;
; The Hash Table size is expressed in megabytes (4..64)
; The Pawn hash table is 2 Mb. Delfi needs further 5 Mb for its processing.
;

HASH_TABLE=16
It is rather strange to assume that hash table can only be set from 4 to 64 Mb. Even Windows 95 could handle more memory than that. Can the source be altered to allow it to handle more memory. I suppose this is what you get if people want to cling to the archaic winboard protocol.

The Crafty people may not be interested in their program anymore but is has better "configurability" than the likes of Delfi.

User avatar
Zach Wegner
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Zach Wegner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:48 pm

terminator wrote:I suppose this is what you get if people want to cling to the archaic winboard protocol.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the winboard protocol.

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by gerold » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 pm

terminator wrote:

Code: Select all

;
; The Hash Table size is expressed in megabytes (4..64)
; The Pawn hash table is 2 Mb. Delfi needs further 5 Mb for its processing.
;

HASH_TABLE=16
It is rather strange to assume that hash table can only be set from 4 to 64 Mb. Even Windows 95 could handle more memory than that. Can the source be altered to allow it to handle more memory. I suppose this is what you get if people want to cling to the archaic winboard protocol.

The Crafty people may not be interested in their program anymore but is has better "configurability" than the likes of Delfi.
I have been using it uci with a lot more hash. Play a few games
with it and you will see it is an exciting program. :)

User avatar
Denis P. Mendoza
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Denis P. Mendoza » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Delfi is a software suite composed of three programs to help your training in chess.
The current version is 5.3 [2008/06/27], dual core processors are now supported.
RELEASE NOTES

Version 5.3, 2008/06/27.

Many evaluation improvements.
Option for dual core CPUs, 1.5X speedup.
Fixed a bug in UCI pondering.
Restored "perft" command.

Code: Select all

Delfi 5.3 - 2008/06/27

Chess engine for Winboard/UCI.
For more info: http://www.msbsoftware.it/delfi

Installation:
1) To play with the Winboard version ("Delfi.exe") you need
to download and configure Winboard:
http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html
2) To play with a UCI chessboard (Fritz, Arena, Chessbase, etc.)
see your chessboard instructions.

Easy levels:
To set a easy level modify the file Delfi.ini, (standard version
is limited to 1000 ELO or full strength).

Parallel version:
To enable parallel processing on dual core processors set
the option CPU_THREADS in Delfi.ini

Author:
Dr. Fabio Cavicchio.
All right reserved.

Code: Select all

;
; Delfi -  Chess engine for Winboard and UCI interfaces.
;
; Author:  Dr. Fabio Cavicchio.
; For more info:  http://www.msbsoftware.it/delfi
; All rights reserved.
;
;
; ******** EASY LEVELS ******** 
;
; The ELO is a measure of ability in chess.
;
;        600 = Random mover(!)
; 1000..1200 = beginner
; 1200..1400 = Weak club player
; 1400..1700 = Average club player
; 1700..1900 = Strong club player
; 1900..2100 = Candidate master
; 2100..2300 = Master
;
; To set the ELO strength in DelfiT (1000..2300) modify the setting below:
;
; Example:  ELO_STRENGTH=1125
;
; Don't set values beyond these limits, they won't be accepted.
; The ELO strength is not affected by the CPU speed.
; To set max strength write ELO_STRENGTH=MAX (more than 2600 ELO)
; 
; The standard version of Delfi plays only at 1000 ELO (or full strength)
; 

ELO_STRENGTH=MAX


;
; The RESIGN value is expressed in pawn values.
;

RESIGN=7


;
; The Hash Table size is expressed in megabytes (4..64)
; The Pawn hash table is 2 Mb. Delfi needs further 5 Mb for its processing.
;

HASH_TABLE=16


;
; CPU_THREADS: set to 2 to enable parallel processing on dual core
; processors. This feature is currently experimental, the speedup
; is 1.5X

CPU_THREADS=1


;
; ABSOLUTE_SCORE: set to 1 to display score relative to white, set to
; 0 to display score relative to Delfi.
;

ABSOLUTE_SCORE=1
These infos from Fabio may help.

User avatar
beachknight
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Contact:

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by beachknight » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 pm

After first twenty games, Delfi 5.3 w32 2 cpu seems
scoring around 100 points higher than Delfi 5.3 w32.

best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Delfi, Multiprocessor support

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:48 pm

beachknight wrote:After first twenty games, Delfi 5.3 w32 2 cpu seems
scoring around 100 points higher than Delfi 5.3 w32.

best,
With all my respect I strongly suspect that doubling the speed will earn you that much,maybe 30-40,maximum 60 Elo,but 100 Elo is not possible :!:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Post Reply