Sjeng 2.7 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
chessfurby
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:41 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by chessfurby » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 pm

To quote GCP (whose ccc account is not working atm):


Hi all,

Deep Sjeng 2.7 was just released. For people who have bought Deep Sjeng 2.5 this is a free update. Just install Deep Sjeng 2.7 and your code for Deep Sjeng 2.5 will still work.

For the silly people who have not bought it yet we offer a free 30-day trial just like the previous time :D

http://www.sjeng.org/deepsjeng2

Noteworthy new features:
* Engine +/- 50 ELO stronger than Deep Sjeng 2.5
* *Vastly* improved passed pawn and kingsafety understanding
* SMP improvements
* Adjustable board graphics, GUI usability tweaks
* GUI supports pondering
* Improved analysis options in GUI
* Opening book now a lot bigger

The new engine is actually an improved version of "Stoofvlees" who played in the last Leiden tournament. "Stoofvlees", err, I mean Deep Sjeng 2.7, has its evaluation function entirely automatically learned from watching Grandmaster games. Aside from making my job a lot easier (no more tuning to do at all!), the engine has noticeably improved in strength, particularly in the areas where it was less optimal before. Passed pawn handling is simply on another level compared to Deep Sjeng 2.5. There is also a strong effect on the playing style which will be easily noticeable: the engine plays very humanlike, which isn't surprising, given that it learned chess from watching GM's!

Overall I'm very happy with the result of this experiment, and it will be quite interesting to see how much further it can be taken...



www.sjeng.org

Cheers

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 32082
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by Graham Banks » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks Jen. :D

I'll take a look at Gian-Carlo's CCC account to make sure all is okay.

Regards, Graham.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by gerold » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Very nice Thanks.

Good luck,

Gerold

User avatar
GenoM
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Contact:

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by GenoM » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm

How can an engine be stronger than other one by +/-50 ELO points? :D by -50 ELO points stronger? :)
I think correct is to say that engine is stronger by ~50 ELO points.
take it easy :)

Dr.Ex
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:10 am

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by Dr.Ex » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:50 pm

chessfurby wrote:
The new engine is actually an improved version of "Stoofvlees" who played in the last Leiden tournament. "Stoofvlees", err, I mean Deep Sjeng 2.7, has its evaluation function entirely automatically learned from watching Grandmaster games. Aside from making my job a lot easier (no more tuning to do at all!), the engine has noticeably improved in strength, particularly in the areas where it was less optimal before. Passed pawn handling is simply on another level compared to Deep Sjeng 2.5. There is also a strong effect on the playing style which will be easily noticeable: the engine plays very humanlike, which isn't surprising, given that it learned chess from watching GM's!

Overall I'm very happy with the result of this experiment, and it will be quite interesting to see how much further it can be taken...

www.sjeng.org

Cheers
Played two quick Blitzgames on my A64 X2. Not exactly above Super Grandmaster level and not very humanlike either...

In general it's quite amazing what stupid openings strong engines can afford to play against slightly weaker engines and still win the majority of games.
This would be definitely not possible in human chess.


[Event "Blitz:3'+2""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2007.09.04"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Deep Sjeng 2.7"]
[Black "Rybka 1.0 Beta 32-bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A40"]
[Annotator "0.25;0.11"]
[PlyCount "80"]
[TimeControl "180+2"]

{W=13.1 ply; 1.010kN/s B=11.8 ply; 109kN/s} 1. d4 {0} g6 {0.11/13 6} 2. e4 {0}
Nf6 {0.16/14 8} 3. Nc3 {0} d5 {0.07/14 24} 4. e5 {0} Ne4 {0.12/13 2} 5. Nxe4 {
(Lb5+) 0.25/14 13} dxe4 {0.00/10 0} 6. c3 {(Le3) 0.35/14 12} Bg7 {
(Sc6) -0.02/12 7} 7. f3 {(Sh3) 0.42/13 11} Bf5 {(Dd5) 0.17/12 8} 8. g4 {
(fxe4) 0.82/12 4} Bd7 {-0.11/12 6} 9. fxe4 {0.69/14 6} c5 {-0.01/11 3} 10. h3 {
(Le3) 0.65/14 10} Nc6 {-0.03/12 5} 11. Nf3 {0.65/14 5} cxd4 {(Db6) -0.03/11 6}
12. cxd4 {0.61/14 7} Qb6 {-0.03/12 6} 13. a3 {(Lf4) 0.69/12 3} O-O {
(h5) -0.19/10 4} 14. b4 {0.72/13 7} Rad8 {(Tfd8) -0.13/11 4} 15. Ra2 {
(b5) 0.39/12 5} Be6 {-0.02/11 13} 16. Rd2 {0.18/12 6} f5 {-0.01/11 11} 17. exf6
{(gxf5) -0.09/12 4} Rxf6 {-0.65/11 4} 18. Rd3 {(Lg2) -0.27/12 12} Rxf3 {
(Lc4) -0.76/11 4} 19. Qxf3 {-0.88/12 6} Nxd4 {-0.94/11 2} 20. Qg2 {-1.30/12 14}
Qc6 {-1.09/11 3} 21. Be3 {-1.54/12 6} Bb3 {-1.23/11 2} 22. b5 {(g5) -1.54/11 5}
Nc2+ {-1.16/12 3} 23. Qxc2 {-1.46/11 3} Qxc2 {-1.28/14 2} 24. Rxd8+ {-1.83/11 3
} Kf7 {-1.19/13 0} 25. Be2 {-1.68/12 2} Qb1+ {(Dxe4) -1.34/12 2} 26. Bd1 {
-1.66/12 3} Bc4 {-1.36/12 2} 27. Kf2 {-1.73/13 4} Qxb5 {(Lxb5) -1.52/12 14} 28.
a4 {-1.59/13 3} Qc6 {(Db1) -1.48/12 1} 29. Kf3 {-1.59/13 3} Bc3 {
(b6) -1.48/11 8} 30. g5 {(Lh6) -1.61/13 3} Qc7 {(La5) -1.56/11 1} 31. Ra8 {
-1.75/13 3} b6 {(Dd6) -1.52/11 1} 32. h4 {(Lc2) -1.54/14 5} Qd7 {
(Le5) -1.59/12 3} 33. Bc2 {-1.85/14 4} Be6 {(Ld2) -1.98/11 2} 34. Bf4 {
(Kg2) -1.71/12 2} Bd4 {(Ld2) -2.13/11 1} 35. Rb8 {(Le3) -2.75/12 3} Bc5 {
-5.58/12 10} 36. Be3 {-4.23/12 3} Bg4+ {-5.48/9 1} 37. Kg2 {-6.10/12 3} Bxe3 {
-5.48/9 1} 38. Bb3+ {-6.51/12 3} Be6 {-5.88/9 2} 39. Rd1 {-6.51/12 4} Bd2 {
-6.35/7 2} 40. Rd8 {(Lc2) -6.73/12 2} Qxd8 {-6.90/9 0} 0-1

[Event "Blitz:3'+2""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2007.09.04"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Deep Sjeng 2.7"]
[Black "Rybka 1.0 Beta 32-bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B01"]
[Annotator "0.24;0.13"]
[PlyCount "58"]
[TimeControl "180+2"]

{W=12.4 ply; 857kN/s B=11.8 ply; 100kN/s} 1. e4 {0} d5 {0} 2. exd5 {0} Qxd5 {0
} 3. Nc3 {0} Qe6+ {0} 4. Qe2 {0.24/13 7} Nf6 {(Sc6) 0.13/13 6} 5. Nb5 {
(Sf3) 0.07/14 9} Qd7 {(Db6) -0.11/14 12} 6. Qe5 {(Dc4) 0.00/13 3} Nc6 {
(Sa6) -0.07/13 7} 7. Qxc7 {0.37/13 7} Qe6+ {-0.23/14 14} 8. Kd1 {0.23/13 8} Qf5
{(a6) -0.07/14 16} 9. Nf3 {(f3) 0.08/11 5} Ne4 {(Sg4) -0.21/13 2} 10. Ke1 {
(Sbd4) -0.08/12 4} a6 {-0.25/13 11} 11. d3 {0.02/13 11} axb5 {-0.51/13 6} 12.
dxe4 {0.00/13 9} Qxe4+ {-0.48/11 0} 13. Be2 {0.00/12 10} g6 {(Dxc2) -0.56/11 1}
14. c3 {-0.25/12 5} Bg7 {-0.69/11 1} 15. Kf1 {(Df4) -0.32/12 5} b4 {-0.91/11 2}
16. cxb4 {-0.35/13 5} Qxb4 {-0.94/12 1} 17. a3 {-0.68/13 7} Qb3 {-0.98/11 2}
18. Nd2 {(h4) -1.38/12 12} Qc2 {-1.45/12 4} 19. Qb6 {-1.38/12 8} Nd4 {
(Txa3) -1.62/12 2} 20. f3 {(Lb5+) -1.51/10 6} O-O {-2.03/10 1} 21. Kf2 {
(h4) -1.86/12 4} Nxe2 {-2.33/11 1} 22. Kxe2 {-2.27/12 4} Be6 {-3.01/11 4} 23.
Qxb7 {(Db4) -2.55/12 5} Ra5 {(Tad8) -3.51/11 2} 24. Qb4 {-3.62/10 5} Rd5 {
-4.39/12 2} 25. Ke1 {-3.40/10 3} Rfd8 {-4.67/12 8} 26. Rf1 {-5.96/10 3} Bd4 {
-8.78/13 6} 27. Rf2 {(f4) -9.29/11 5} Bxf2+ {-8.82/5 1} 28. Kxf2 {-9.34/10 1}
Rxd2+ {-9.13/5 1} 29. Bxd2 {-9.43/11 3} Rxd2+ {-9.36/6 1} 0-1

User avatar
fern
Posts: 8755
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by fern » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:00 am

He means "more or less THAN 50 points, of course. It could be 40 or 60.

Come on, Eugen, pick up better jokes...

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by gerold » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:58 am

fern wrote:He means "more or less THAN 50 points, of course. It could be 40 or 60.

Come on, Eugen, pick up better jokes...
Right Fernando. 50 elo stronger + / - 10 points.

Ryan Benitez
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Portland Oregon

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by Ryan Benitez » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:09 am

I think it could be argued that losing to Rybka 1.0 is very human like. :P
I think Sjeng is an interesting engine and am happy to see a new release.

Ryan

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:31 am

Dr.Ex wrote:
chessfurby wrote:
The new engine is actually an improved version of "Stoofvlees" who played in the last Leiden tournament. "Stoofvlees", err, I mean Deep Sjeng 2.7, has its evaluation function entirely automatically learned from watching Grandmaster games. Aside from making my job a lot easier (no more tuning to do at all!), the engine has noticeably improved in strength, particularly in the areas where it was less optimal before. Passed pawn handling is simply on another level compared to Deep Sjeng 2.5. There is also a strong effect on the playing style which will be easily noticeable: the engine plays very humanlike, which isn't surprising, given that it learned chess from watching GM's!

Overall I'm very happy with the result of this experiment, and it will be quite interesting to see how much further it can be taken...

www.sjeng.org

Cheers
Played two quick Blitzgames on my A64 X2. Not exactly above Super Grandmaster level and not very humanlike either...

In general it's quite amazing what stupid openings strong engines can afford to play against slightly weaker engines and still win the majority of games.
This would be definitely not possible in human chess.


[Event "Blitz:3'+2""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2007.09.04"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Deep Sjeng 2.7"]
[Black "Rybka 1.0 Beta 32-bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A40"]
[Annotator "0.25;0.11"]
[PlyCount "80"]
[TimeControl "180+2"]

{W=13.1 ply; 1.010kN/s B=11.8 ply; 109kN/s} 1. d4 {0} g6 {0.11/13 6} 2. e4 {0}
Nf6 {0.16/14 8} 3. Nc3 {0} d5 {0.07/14 24} 4. e5 {0} Ne4 {0.12/13 2} 5. Nxe4 {
(Lb5+) 0.25/14 13} dxe4 {0.00/10 0} 6. c3 {(Le3) 0.35/14 12} Bg7 {
(Sc6) -0.02/12 7} 7. f3 {(Sh3) 0.42/13 11} Bf5 {(Dd5) 0.17/12 8} 8. g4 {
(fxe4) 0.82/12 4} Bd7 {-0.11/12 6} 9. fxe4 {0.69/14 6} c5 {-0.01/11 3} 10. h3 {
(Le3) 0.65/14 10} Nc6 {-0.03/12 5} 11. Nf3 {0.65/14 5} cxd4 {(Db6) -0.03/11 6}
12. cxd4 {0.61/14 7} Qb6 {-0.03/12 6} 13. a3 {(Lf4) 0.69/12 3} O-O {
(h5) -0.19/10 4} 14. b4 {0.72/13 7} Rad8 {(Tfd8) -0.13/11 4} 15. Ra2 {
(b5) 0.39/12 5} Be6 {-0.02/11 13} 16. Rd2 {0.18/12 6} f5 {-0.01/11 11} 17. exf6
{(gxf5) -0.09/12 4} Rxf6 {-0.65/11 4} 18. Rd3 {(Lg2) -0.27/12 12} Rxf3 {
(Lc4) -0.76/11 4} 19. Qxf3 {-0.88/12 6} Nxd4 {-0.94/11 2} 20. Qg2 {-1.30/12 14}
Qc6 {-1.09/11 3} 21. Be3 {-1.54/12 6} Bb3 {-1.23/11 2} 22. b5 {(g5) -1.54/11 5}
Nc2+ {-1.16/12 3} 23. Qxc2 {-1.46/11 3} Qxc2 {-1.28/14 2} 24. Rxd8+ {-1.83/11 3
} Kf7 {-1.19/13 0} 25. Be2 {-1.68/12 2} Qb1+ {(Dxe4) -1.34/12 2} 26. Bd1 {
-1.66/12 3} Bc4 {-1.36/12 2} 27. Kf2 {-1.73/13 4} Qxb5 {(Lxb5) -1.52/12 14} 28.
a4 {-1.59/13 3} Qc6 {(Db1) -1.48/12 1} 29. Kf3 {-1.59/13 3} Bc3 {
(b6) -1.48/11 8} 30. g5 {(Lh6) -1.61/13 3} Qc7 {(La5) -1.56/11 1} 31. Ra8 {
-1.75/13 3} b6 {(Dd6) -1.52/11 1} 32. h4 {(Lc2) -1.54/14 5} Qd7 {
(Le5) -1.59/12 3} 33. Bc2 {-1.85/14 4} Be6 {(Ld2) -1.98/11 2} 34. Bf4 {
(Kg2) -1.71/12 2} Bd4 {(Ld2) -2.13/11 1} 35. Rb8 {(Le3) -2.75/12 3} Bc5 {
-5.58/12 10} 36. Be3 {-4.23/12 3} Bg4+ {-5.48/9 1} 37. Kg2 {-6.10/12 3} Bxe3 {
-5.48/9 1} 38. Bb3+ {-6.51/12 3} Be6 {-5.88/9 2} 39. Rd1 {-6.51/12 4} Bd2 {
-6.35/7 2} 40. Rd8 {(Lc2) -6.73/12 2} Qxd8 {-6.90/9 0} 0-1

[Event "Blitz:3'+2""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2007.09.04"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Deep Sjeng 2.7"]
[Black "Rybka 1.0 Beta 32-bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B01"]
[Annotator "0.24;0.13"]
[PlyCount "58"]
[TimeControl "180+2"]

{W=12.4 ply; 857kN/s B=11.8 ply; 100kN/s} 1. e4 {0} d5 {0} 2. exd5 {0} Qxd5 {0
} 3. Nc3 {0} Qe6+ {0} 4. Qe2 {0.24/13 7} Nf6 {(Sc6) 0.13/13 6} 5. Nb5 {
(Sf3) 0.07/14 9} Qd7 {(Db6) -0.11/14 12} 6. Qe5 {(Dc4) 0.00/13 3} Nc6 {
(Sa6) -0.07/13 7} 7. Qxc7 {0.37/13 7} Qe6+ {-0.23/14 14} 8. Kd1 {0.23/13 8} Qf5
{(a6) -0.07/14 16} 9. Nf3 {(f3) 0.08/11 5} Ne4 {(Sg4) -0.21/13 2} 10. Ke1 {
(Sbd4) -0.08/12 4} a6 {-0.25/13 11} 11. d3 {0.02/13 11} axb5 {-0.51/13 6} 12.
dxe4 {0.00/13 9} Qxe4+ {-0.48/11 0} 13. Be2 {0.00/12 10} g6 {(Dxc2) -0.56/11 1}
14. c3 {-0.25/12 5} Bg7 {-0.69/11 1} 15. Kf1 {(Df4) -0.32/12 5} b4 {-0.91/11 2}
16. cxb4 {-0.35/13 5} Qxb4 {-0.94/12 1} 17. a3 {-0.68/13 7} Qb3 {-0.98/11 2}
18. Nd2 {(h4) -1.38/12 12} Qc2 {-1.45/12 4} 19. Qb6 {-1.38/12 8} Nd4 {
(Txa3) -1.62/12 2} 20. f3 {(Lb5+) -1.51/10 6} O-O {-2.03/10 1} 21. Kf2 {
(h4) -1.86/12 4} Nxe2 {-2.33/11 1} 22. Kxe2 {-2.27/12 4} Be6 {-3.01/11 4} 23.
Qxb7 {(Db4) -2.55/12 5} Ra5 {(Tad8) -3.51/11 2} 24. Qb4 {-3.62/10 5} Rd5 {
-4.39/12 2} 25. Ke1 {-3.40/10 3} Rfd8 {-4.67/12 8} 26. Rf1 {-5.96/10 3} Bd4 {
-8.78/13 6} 27. Rf2 {(f4) -9.29/11 5} Bxf2+ {-8.82/5 1} 28. Kxf2 {-9.34/10 1}
Rxd2+ {-9.13/5 1} 29. Bxd2 {-9.43/11 3} Rxd2+ {-9.36/6 1} 0-1

Hi,
What opening book did Rybka use in these games :!: :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Tony Thomas

Re: Sjeng 2.7 released

Post by Tony Thomas » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 am

I wonder how people come to the conclusion that it isnt grandmaster strength by playing two games against the strongest ever free engine.

Post Reply