2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
sje
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm

2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Post by sje » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 pm

2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Code: Select all

   Name                  R1    R2    R3    R4    R5    R6    R7    R8    R9    R10   R11   R12   R13   R14   Score  #g
 1 Rybka          (2821) +b31  +w14  +b6   +w3   -b2   +w15  +b5   +w8   +b7   +w4   +b13  +w9   +b23  +w16   13.0  14
 2 Hiarcs8x       (2812) +w24  +b13  +w7   =b15  +w1   +b8   =w4   +b9   +w5   +b3   +w14  +b10  +w25  -b6    12.0  14
 3 IkarusX        (2717) +w29  +b11  +w10  -b1   +w24  =b4   -w8   +b13  =w9   -w2   +b5   +b7   +w14  +b20   10.0  14
 4 Erdo           (3035) Lb34  +w28  +b16  +w5   +b7   =w3   =b2   +w23  +b8   -b1   =w9   =w14  +b13  +w18   10.0  13
 5 DIEP           (2572) +w41  =b8   +w19  -b4   +w34  +b10  -w1   +w6   -b2   +b18  -w3   +w15  +b9   +b7     9.5  14
 6 TerraPi        (2609) +w26  +b25  -w1   -b8   =w16  +b19  +w20  -b5   +w11  -b9   +w30  -b13  +w24  +w2     8.5  14
 7 Frenzee        (2653) +b17  +w9   -b2   +w12  -w4   +b18  +w13  +b10  -w1   -b14  +w25  -w3   +b8   -w5     8.0  14
 8 Ktulu          (2755) +b16  =w5   +b34  +w6   +b15  -w2   +b3   -b1   -w4   -w13  +b24  =w23  -w7   +b14    8.0  14
 9 Rascal         (2561) +w32  -b7   +w21  -b10  +b27  +w12  +b14  -w2   =b3   +w6   =b4   -b1   -w5   +w23    8.0  14
10 thebaron       (2631) +b36  +w20  -b3   +w9   =b14  -w5   +b15  -w7   =b24  +w16  =b23  -w2   =b18  +w13    8.0  14
11 ArasanX        (2566) +b37  -w3   =b36  +w25  -w13  +b34  -b23  +w12  -b6   -w15  +b26  =w16  +b30  +w19    8.0  14
12 DirtyX         (2000) -w19  +b29  +w18  -b7   +w22  -b9   +w36  -b11  -w27  +b21  -w20  +b35  Ww34  +b25    8.0  13
13 QuarkX         (2580) +b39  -w2   +b17  =w14  +b11  +w26  -b7   -w3   +b23  +b8   -w1   +w6   -w4   -b10    7.5  14
14 crafty         (2583) +w38  -b1   +w22  =b13  =w10  +b24  -w9   +b27  +w18  +w7   -b2   =b4   -b3   -w8     7.5  14
15 Weid           (2587) +b28  +w35  +b23  =w2   -w8   -b1   -w10  -b18  +w20  +b11  +w34  -b5   -w16  +b24    7.5  14
16 BertaX         (2338) -w8   +b38  -w4   +b21  =b6   -w23  =w19  +b36  +w37  -b10  +w17  =b11  +b15  -b1     7.5  14
17 Independence   (2316) -w7   +b32  -w13  -b18  -w21  +b29  +w33  -b19  +w36  +b37  -b16  =w30  +b28  +w26    7.5  14
18 PetirX         (2529) =b30  =w34  -b12  +w17  +b33  -w7   +b26  +w15  -b14  -w5   +w27  =b25  =w10  -b4     7.0  14
19 Symbolic       (2434) +b12  =w23  -b5   +w36  -b26  -w6   =b16  +w17  Lb30  -w34  +b28  +w32  +b27  -b11    7.0  13
20 NowX           (2482) +w40  -b10  =w26  -b34  +w30  +b25  -b6   -w24  -b15  +w38  +b12  =w27  +b21  -w3     7.0  14
21 HfC            (2308) -b23  +w40  -b9   -w16  +b17  -w27  +b31  -w25  +b26  -w12  +b38  +w33  -w20  +b32    7.0  14
22 DeltomateX     (2378) -b35  +w39  -b14  +w30  -b12  +w28  =b24  +w26  -b25  -w23  -b32  =w31  +b37  +w33    7.0  14
23 LearningLemming(2635) +w21  =b19  -w15  -b26  +w37  +b16  +w11  -b4   -w13  +b22  =w10  =b8   -w1   -b9     6.5  14
24 danasah        (2340) -b2   +w37  +b35  +w27  -b3   -w14  =w22  +b20  =w10  =b30  -w8   +b34  -b6   -w15    6.5  14
25 Tinker         (2422) +w33  -w6   =b30  -b11  +w29  -w20  =b37  +b21  +w22  +b27  -b7   =w18  -b2   -w12    6.5  14
26 Horizon-x      (2298) -b6   +w31  =b20  +w23  +w19  -b13  -w18  -b22  -w21  +b39  -w11  +w29  +b40  -b17    6.5  14
27 DeuteriumChess (2000) latej =w30  +b31  -b24  -w9   +b21  +w35  -w14  +b12  -w25  -b18  =b20  -w19  +w40    6.5  13
28 Neurosis       (2298) -w15  -b4   -w32  +b39  +w40  -b22  +w29  -b37  =w31  +b35  -w19  +b38  -w17  +b36    6.5  14
29 parrotC        (2336) -b3   -w12  +b39  =w35  -b25  -w17  -b28  +w40  +b38  =w33  =w31  -b26  +b36  +w30    6.5  14
30 JokerX         (2118) =w18  =b27  =w25  -b22  -b20  +w38  +w34  =b35  Ww19  =w24  -b6   =b17  -w11  -b29    6.0  13
31 Telepath       (2366) -w1   -b26  -w27  +b38  +w32  -b36  -w21  =b39  =b28  +w40  =b29  =b22  -w33  +w37    6.0  14
32 BirdEng        (2168) -b9   -w17  +b28  -w33  -b31  -b37  +w39  -w34  +b40  +b36  +w22  -b19  +w38  -w21    6.0  14
33 microMaX       (2000) -b25  -w36  +b40  +b32  -w18  -w35  -b17  =w38  +b39  =b29  +w37  -b21  +b31  -b22    6.0  14
34 HomerX         (2381) Ww4   =b18  -w8   +w20  -b5   -w11  -b30  +b32  +w35  +b19  -b15  -w24  Lb12  Lw39    5.5  11
35 Buzz           (2829) +w22  -b15  -w24  =b29  =w36  +b33  -b27  =w30  -b34  -w28  +b40  -w12  +w39  -b38    5.5  14
36 Clarabit       (2304) -w10  +b33  =w11  -b19  =b35  +w31  -b12  -w16  -b17  -w32  +w39  +b40  -w29  -w28    5.0  14
37 Timea          (2220) -w11  -b24  =w38  +b40  -b23  +w32  =w25  +w28  -b16  -w17  -b33  +b39  -w22  -b31    5.0  14
38 Matilde        (2284) -b14  -w16  =b37  -w31  =w39  -b30  -w40  =b33  -w29  -b20  -w21  -w28  -b32  +w35    2.5  14
39 roce           (2264) -w13  -b22  -w29  -w28  =b38  =b40  -b32  =w31  -w33  -w26  -b36  -w37  -b35  Wb34    2.5  13
40 Vicki          (2017) -b20  -b21  -w33  -w37  -b28  =w39  +b38  -b29  -w32  -b31  -w35  -w36  -w26  -b27    1.5  14
41 NoonianChess   (2249) -b5   ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----   0.0   1

User avatar
George Tsavdaris
Posts: 1614
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 am

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by George Tsavdaris » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 pm

sje wrote:2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Code: Select all

   
 1 Rybka          13.0  14
 2 Hiarcs8x       12.0  14
 3 IkarusX        10.0  14
 4 Erdo             10.0  13
 5 DIEP              9.5  14
 6 TerraPi           8.5  14
 7 Frenzee          8.0  14
 8 Ktulu              8.0  14
 9 Rascal            8.0  14
10 thebaron        8.0  14
......................
......................
Oh, Rybka again!
This time was close and Hiarcs was only one step behind.

Why some engines(Erdo for example) have 13 games instead of 14?
Where did you find that list?
In the official page they don't make such a good job updating it, so they still have the results of the first 8 rounds and no games.....
(http://www.taccl.org/2007Presidents.html)
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....

Harvey Williamson

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:10 pm

George Tsavdaris wrote:
sje wrote:2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Results

Code: Select all

   
 1 Rybka          13.0  14
 2 Hiarcs8x       12.0  14
 3 IkarusX        10.0  14
 4 Erdo             10.0  13
 5 DIEP              9.5  14
 6 TerraPi           8.5  14
 7 Frenzee          8.0  14
 8 Ktulu              8.0  14
 9 Rascal            8.0  14
10 thebaron        8.0  14
......................
......................
Oh, Rybka again!
This time was close and Hiarcs was only one step behind.

Why some engines(Erdo for example) have 13 games instead of 14?
Where did you find that list?
In the official page they don't make such a good job updating it, so they still have the results of the first 8 rounds and no games.....
(http://www.taccl.org/2007Presidents.html)
Hi,

Yes a close match until we messed up in final round. Rybka and Hiarcs both had 12/13 going into round 14 and Hiarcs had beaten Rybka then we got a horrible opening and lost so missed the draw with Rybka.

We entered this tournament many months ago when there was lots on this forum about it. I had forgotten about it as there was no update here or anywhere until we received an email about an hour before it started. I hope the games and results go on the website soon. Having said all that well done to Vas and all that played it was a fun tournament.

It is a shame we have to wait until Leiden at end of October for next Hiarcs v Rybka - as Hiarcs is not invited to be one of the elite 4 in Mainz even though we head the CCRL 960 ratings list. The organisers tell me the sponsors dont want Hiarcs. The sponsors tell me a WCCC should be open to all so the best may win.

Anyway any event with 4 invited engines is an invitational to call it a World Championship just brings the event into disrepute.

Congrats again to vas on another title won in an open and fair World Championship today!

Harvey

User avatar
Jaap Weidemann
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa
Contact:

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Jaap Weidemann » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:27 pm

  1. Rybka (13.0)
  2. Hiarcs (12.0)
  3. Ikarus, Zap!Chess (10.0)
  4. Diep (9.5)
  5. Alaric (8.5)
  6. Deep Frenzee, Ktulu, Rascal, The Baron, Arasan, Dirty (8.0)
  7. Quark, Crafty, Weid, Berta, Mediocre (7.5)
  8. Petir, Symbolic, Now, HfC, EveAnn (7.0)
  9. LearningLemming, Danasah, Tinker, Horizon, Deuterium, Neurosis, Parrot (6.5)
  10. Joker, Telepath, Bird, MicroMaX (6.0)
  11. Homer, Buzz (5.5)
  12. Clarabit, Timea (5.0)
  13. Matilde, Roce (2.5)
  14. Vicki (1.5)
  15. NoonianChess (0.0)

User avatar
George Tsavdaris
Posts: 1614
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 am

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by George Tsavdaris » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yes a close match until we messed up in final round. Rybka and Hiarcs both had 12/13 going into round 14 and Hiarcs had beaten Rybka then we got a horrible opening and lost so missed the draw with Rybka.
In a case of a draw what would happen?
Hiarcs would win because it has beat Rybka or a tiebreak would occur?

as Hiarcs is not invited to be one of the elite 4 in Mainz even though we head the CCRL 960 ratings list. The organisers tell me the sponsors dont want Hiarcs. The sponsors tell me a WCCC should be open to all so the best may win.
The organizers told you that the sponsors don't want Hiarcs?
And the sponsors told you that they wish no invitations should be done in the tournament they sponsor? And yet it is an invitational tournament!

Crazy story. Very odd.....
This invitational rule makes the tournament immediately not a tournament that the winner can claim anything important.....
He may claim that he beat the participants of the tournament but nothing more. Not that he won the world title or anything world-related.....

Also i can't really find a reason why the sponsors don't want Hiarcs to participate. Hiarcs would make their tournament much more interesting so that would be good for them.
And anyway why not make it an open tournament in the first place?

Ugh! They will eventually learn. From their mistakes..... :D
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....

User avatar
sje
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Re: 2007 WCRCC: Final Results

Post by sje » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm

For various reasons, not all entrants played in each round. Symbolic missed round nine because of connection difficulties.

The data were taken from the ICC automated tournament manager "pear". Entrants with equal point results are listed in tie break order.

Harvey Williamson

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:41 pm

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Yes a close match until we messed up in final round. Rybka and Hiarcs both had 12/13 going into round 14 and Hiarcs had beaten Rybka then we got a horrible opening and lost so missed the draw with Rybka.
In a case of a draw what would happen?
Hiarcs would win because it has beat Rybka or a tiebreak would occur?

as Hiarcs is not invited to be one of the elite 4 in Mainz even though we head the CCRL 960 ratings list. The organisers tell me the sponsors dont want Hiarcs. The sponsors tell me a WCCC should be open to all so the best may win.
The organizers told you that the sponsors don't want Hiarcs?
And the sponsors told you that they wish no invitations should be done in the tournament they sponsor? And yet it is an invitational tournament!

Crazy story. Very odd.....
This invitational rule makes the tournament immediately not a tournament that the winner can claim anything important.....
He may claim that he beat the participants of the tournament but nothing more. Not that he won the world title or anything world-related.....

Also i can't really find a reason why the sponsors don't want Hiarcs to participate. Hiarcs would make their tournament much more interesting so that would be good for them.
And anyway why not make it an open tournament in the first place?

Ugh! They will eventually learn. From their mistakes..... :D
Hi George,

There would have been a tie break at 14+1 first engine to get 2 points wins I think was the rule. Its a shame as Vas and I were looking forward to that.

As for the so called world championship in Mainz I agree with you. If they are short of money the event should be cancelled or renamed the Mainz invitational. We are very disappointed although we have not entered before when last year it was announced that this year it would be = hardware for all we decided to give it a go. We have done a lot of work and I booked leave from work which is now wasted.

Anyway today is Rybkas day and another well deserved World Title. I wish Vas good luck in mainz but i will not consider a Rybka victory there as a fairly won world title(although that wont be Rybkas fault).

Best Wishes,

Harvey

Steve B

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Steve B » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 pm

hi Harvey

nice tournament and a very close finish


while i realize of course that i am in the minority here(personally i have no interest in PC Engine vs Engine matches)
i do have an interest in PC engine vs Human matches

it seems that Kaufman will be taking up my proposal to have GM Benjamin play a DRAW odds match with Rybka for a possible rematch in Sept 07(too late to change the terms of the current match especially with Kaufman away on vacation )

are there any plans for Hiarcs to play against any strong GM's (hopefully without material odds)in the foreseeable future?

Best Regards
Steve

Harvey Williamson

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:25 pm

Steve B wrote:hi Harvey

nice tournament and a very close finish


while i realize of course that i am in the minority here(personally i have no interest in PC Engine vs Engine matches)
i do have an interest in PC engine vs Human matches

it seems that Kaufman will be taking up my proposal to have GM Benjamin play a DRAW odds match with Rybka for a possible rematch in Sept 07(too late to change the terms of the current match especially with Kaufman away on vacation )

are there any plans for Hiarcs to play against any strong GM's (hopefully without material odds)in the foreseeable future?

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

There are lots of ideas. It would be nice to organise something that gets publicity outside this small Computer Chess community.

I must admit all this pawn odds stuff does not interest me much and the writing may have been on the wall several years ago when Hiarcs on relatively slow hardware defeated an IM with a similar score to the one Rybka beat Ehlvest with. The IM was about 150 elo weaker than Ehlvest but surely Rybka with modern hardware is more than 150 elo stronger than the Hiarcs that played that match. The match was at classical slow time controls.

http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/tutor2/hiarcs.html
http://www.hiarcs.com/hiarcs_milestones.htm

and also palm hiarcs has a fantastic record v GMs

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvpb

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvsv

so the superiority of computers may already have been proven!?

The interesting thing at the moment is Freestyle/Advanced Chess. So I think it might be nice to get some money to organise an advanced Chess match.

I propose team 1 Rybka + Gm + IM
team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

both teams would have access to identiacl hardware say a qx6700 quad core running the program. This might be an event that will get publicity outside our small closed computer chess world.

Best Wishes,

Harvey

Steve B

Re: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships: Final Res

Post by Steve B » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:42 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Harvey

nice tournament and a very close finish


while i realize of course that i am in the minority here(personally i have no interest in PC Engine vs Engine matches)
i do have an interest in PC engine vs Human matches

it seems that Kaufman will be taking up my proposal to have GM Benjamin play a DRAW odds match with Rybka for a possible rematch in Sept 07(too late to change the terms of the current match especially with Kaufman away on vacation )

are there any plans for Hiarcs to play against any strong GM's (hopefully without material odds)in the foreseeable future?

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

There are lots of ideas. It would be nice to organise something that gets publicity outside this small Computer Chess community.

I must admit all this pawn odds stuff does not interest me much and the writing may have been on the wall several years ago when Hiarcs on relatively slow hardware defeated an IM with a similar score to the one Rybka beat Ehlvest with. The IM was about 150 elo weaker than Ehlvest but surely Rybka with modern hardware is more than 150 elo stronger than the Hiarcs that played that match. The match was at classical slow time controls.

http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/tutor2/hiarcs.html
http://www.hiarcs.com/hiarcs_milestones.htm

and also palm hiarcs has a fantastic record v GMs

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvpb

http://www.hiarcs.com/palm_hiarcs.htm#phvsv

so the superiority of computers may already have been proven!?

The interesting thing at the moment is Freestyle/Advanced Chess. So I think it might be nice to get some money to organise an advanced Chess match.

I propose team 1 Rybka + Gm + IM
team 2 Hiarcs + Gm + IM

both teams would have access to identiacl hardware say a qx6700 quad core running the program. This might be an event that will get publicity outside our small closed computer chess world.

Best Wishes,

Harvey

yes that certainly is VERY interesting!
i assume then in your proposal Hiarcs would be playing against Rybka?

this would interest those devotees of PC Engine Matches AND those like me who are still interested in human participation in computer chess matches

Enthralled Regards
Steve

Post Reply