Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their match?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
emerson4301972

Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their match?

Post by emerson4301972 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 am

Do they have the same hardware?

nuff

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by nuff » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 am

They have not announced the preparation/details publicly but I would expect the Junior camp to have killer hardware, which I suspect accounts for their WCCC wins more than book/engine strength. Look at the measly Dual Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 that the Fritz camp put together to face Kramnik. Compare that to the 32 cores some guy was using in the freestyle or the quad-cores you see in the engineroom every day?

Uri Blass
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Uri Blass » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:39 am

nuff wrote:They have not announced the preparation/details publicly but I would expect the Junior camp to have killer hardware, which I suspect accounts for their WCCC wins more than book/engine strength. Look at the measly Dual Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 that the Fritz camp put together to face Kramnik. Compare that to the 32 cores some guy was using in the freestyle or the quad-cores you see in the engineroom every day?
I believe that you are wrong and hardware was not the main factor for the fact that Junior won WCCC often.

They has better hardware than most amateurs but I believe that had equal hardware to other professional programs.

Uri

nuff

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by nuff » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Uri Blass wrote:I believe that you are wrong and hardware was not the main factor for the fact that Junior won WCCC often.

They has better hardware than most amateurs but I believe that had equal hardware to other professional programs.

Uri
Then how come Junior/Deep Junior is unable to reproduce the same form in the rating lists, engineroom or even freestyle events? If you have Deep Junior at home run an engine tournament and tell us the result. You would have expected the Junior team to at least put a good showing like Rybka through Vas in the engineroom.

Spock

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Spock » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:08 pm

nuff wrote:They have not announced the preparation/details publicly but I would expect the Junior camp to have killer hardware, which I suspect accounts for their WCCC wins more than book/engine strength. Look at the measly Dual Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 that the Fritz camp put together to face Kramnik. Compare that to the 32 cores some guy was using in the freestyle or the quad-cores you see in the engineroom every day?
A Xeon 5160 is quad core, so it was an 8 core box. And they run at 3GHz. Not exactly "measly"

Uri Blass
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Uri Blass » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 pm

nuff wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I believe that you are wrong and hardware was not the main factor for the fact that Junior won WCCC often.

They has better hardware than most amateurs but I believe that had equal hardware to other professional programs.

Uri
Then how come Junior/Deep Junior is unable to reproduce the same form in the rating lists, engineroom or even freestyle events? If you have Deep Junior at home run an engine tournament and tell us the result. You would have expected the Junior team to at least put a good showing like Rybka through Vas in the engineroom.
The reason may be that the Junior team has a better book for these events.

In case of wccc 2006 I guess that they were also lucky and earlier when they won the gap between them and the first place in rating list was smaller.

Uri

Harvey Williamson

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Harvey Williamson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Spock wrote:
nuff wrote:They have not announced the preparation/details publicly but I would expect the Junior camp to have killer hardware, which I suspect accounts for their WCCC wins more than book/engine strength. Look at the measly Dual Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 that the Fritz camp put together to face Kramnik. Compare that to the 32 cores some guy was using in the freestyle or the quad-cores you see in the engineroom every day?
A Xeon 5160 is quad core, so it was an 8 core box. And they run at 3GHz. Not exactly "measly"
Hi Ray,

Agreed. I know what Amir is planning to use. I only hope that Fritz uses something similar so we get a real contest.

Harvey

User avatar
Mike S.
Posts: 1480
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:33 am

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Mike S. » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:42 pm

emerson4301972 wrote:Do they have the same hardware?
According to the german ChessBase website chessbase.de, Fritz will have 8 cpus and Junior 16:

http://www.chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=6677

"Ursprünglich sollten die beiden Programme auf gleich starken Rechnern spielen. Auf Initiative des Deep Junior-Teams werden die Programme aber nun auf dem für jedes Team bestmöglichen Rechner antreten. Deep Junior spielt auf einem 16-Prozessor-Rechner, Deep Fritz auf einem 8-Prozessor-Rechner."

That means, initially equal hardware was the plan, but following an initiative of the Deep Junior team they will now start with the best possible computer, each.

The rest of the comment puts emphasis on the fact that it is FIDE's first computer(only) match.
Regards, Mike

Harvey Williamson

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by Harvey Williamson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Mike S. wrote:
emerson4301972 wrote:Do they have the same hardware?
According to the german ChessBase website chessbase.de, Fritz will have 8 cpus and Junior 16:

http://www.chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=6677

"Ursprünglich sollten die beiden Programme auf gleich starken Rechnern spielen. Auf Initiative des Deep Junior-Teams werden die Programme aber nun auf dem für jedes Team bestmöglichen Rechner antreten. Deep Junior spielt auf einem 16-Prozessor-Rechner, Deep Fritz auf einem 8-Prozessor-Rechner."

That means, initially equal hardware was the plan, but following an initiative of the Deep Junior team they will now start with the best possible computer, each.

The rest of the comment puts emphasis on the fact that it is FIDE's first computer(only) match.
Same article in English http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3905

nuff

Re: Do you know the Hardware of Fritz and Junior in their ma

Post by nuff » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
emerson4301972 wrote:Do they have the same hardware?
According to the german ChessBase website chessbase.de, Fritz will have 8 cpus and Junior 16:

http://www.chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=6677

"Ursprünglich sollten die beiden Programme auf gleich starken Rechnern spielen. Auf Initiative des Deep Junior-Teams werden die Programme aber nun auf dem für jedes Team bestmöglichen Rechner antreten. Deep Junior spielt auf einem 16-Prozessor-Rechner, Deep Fritz auf einem 8-Prozessor-Rechner."

That means, initially equal hardware was the plan, but following an initiative of the Deep Junior team they will now start with the best possible computer, each.

The rest of the comment puts emphasis on the fact that it is FIDE's first computer(only) match.
Same article in English http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3905
The English article does not mention the hardware. I hate to say I told you so but Junior is always likely to have the stronger hardware. Even if Fritz lose the match the $40,000 they pick up and the fact that ChessBase sell both programs means its a win-win situation for ChessBase.

Post Reply