Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Open Letter & $100,000 challenge to FIDE

Post by Graham Banks »

Alkelele wrote: IMHO, it is a joke that so much space in this forum is spent on pointless meta-discussions (and now, also this post...). Why not just discuss the subject at hand?
Good call. :wink:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Only envy from you !
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

I agree that we should hear about all chess software, including commercial one.

But I agree also that Rajlich letter is a mainly commercial trick.

Best regards!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

ITS not even close

i am not the one selling any of the computers on Ebay
people i dont even know are selling them

as far as i know Rajlich's who made the initial post programmed and markets Rybka

if someone unrelated to Rybkas programming and marketing teams made a post with information about the Fide match(which is already 30 days old BTW)and the Rybka counter-challenge then i would have no issue with it

Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
Alkelele wrote: IMHO, it is a joke that so much space in this forum is spent on pointless meta-discussions (and now, also this post...). Why not just discuss the subject at hand?
Good call. :wink:
bad call actually and meaningless post like his first one in reply to my posts

i am answering a hypothetical question posed by Uri about Commercial Exhortations that contain some interesting new information
the subject then has now moved from Rybka to a question of the charter

there is no no need for you to keep repeating your decision that the initial post is considered OK by you

follow the new thread Graham or if you consider it boring dont reply to it then

Regards
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Sylwy wrote:Only envy from you !
are you replying to me?
Envy?
in what way?

i dont even own a PC Engine and have no interest in them

Steve
Spock

Post by Spock »

Steve B wrote:there is no no need for you to keep repeating your decision that the initial post is considered OK by you
Regards
Steve
And indeed we've also heard your view a number of times.

So if this thread is commercial exhortation, Steve, then surely this one is as well, probably even more so

http://216.25.93.108/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14057

Posted by the Hiarcs team, promoting a match by Hiarcs. OK it's Hiarcs 3 which you cannot buy, but nevertheless it promotes the Hiarcs name and draws you to the Hiarcs web site. Of course, I have no problem with that post, and I have no problem with this one either. And let's face it, Vas hardly EVER posts here. People may start to think you're anti-Rybka...
I think you're pretty much alone with your view on this one, perhaps until Harvey pops in in response to this to back you up :wink:
And heck, I'm probably branded anti-Hiarcs now. This place is totally stupid sometimes
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Steve B wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Steve B wrote:actually Charles this has happened before and will again i suppose

in 2001 there was an event called the Kramnik Challenge
the idea was to pit the best human against the best Pc Engine
it was sponsored by Brain-Games(a private company no longer in existence)
as it turned out the then Reigning computer world champion program Shredder was not even given fair notice of the qualifying event and only Fritz and Junior competed against each other to play Kramink
i think the prize found was something in the neighborhood of 1 million dollars

both Fritz and Junior were chessbase engines while Shredder at that time was not

Tiger was also a very powerful leading engine at the time and also was not even given an invitation to compete

then and now it is all about the money and fairness and sportsmanship have nothing to do with it

the only difference is i dont recall Stefan -Meyer Kahlen actually coming here (or rather the old CCC forum) and asking for the members to carry the torch for him

but i see i have to drop this because i am only going to come up against Rybka fans and loyalists who will defend their engine hero no matter what he does or says

at least while he remains the top engine of course

Adulation of the Magi Regards
Steve
There is a difference.
At that time shredder was not clearly the best engine and tiger did not support more than one processor.

Uri
Shredder at that time was the Computer World Champion
Kramnik was the Human World Champion
the match was initially supposed to be the two world champions against each other
then suddenly it got changed and there was to be a "qualifying round "to be played by the computers to earn the right to play Kramnik
Shredder was made aware of this only two weeks before the Qualifier and he would not take part because of it leaving only the Chessbase engines(the only three Engines "invited" to the qualifier were Shredder Fritz and Junior)

Stefan also wrote an "open' letter protesting all of it

my point is simply..he did not use the CCC overtly and directly to further what would have been a significant financial interest for him
Steve
Steve, I think that you are forgetting that if exists a financial interest for Vas, also exist an
interest of computer chess comunity so that Rybka plays.
CCC is a legitimate, among others, representative of the community of computer chess, then I do not
see problems in the post of Vas.

Paulo Soares
Alkelele

Post by Alkelele »

Steve, please take a look at this thread from the Rybka forum:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... l?tid=1126

Then try to compare that thread with the thread here and ask yourself these questions:

1) Which thread contains the most interesting discussions with regard to this $100.000 challenge?

2) Did your posts in this thread help or prevent interesting discussions from taking off?

3) What could be the reason that the Rybka forum is far more interesting for readers interested in computer chess than the CCC forum these days?
Spock

Post by Spock »

PauloSoare wrote: Steve, I think that you are forgetting that if exists a financial interest for Vas, also exist an
interest of computer chess comunity so that Rybka plays.
CCC is a legitimate, among others, representative of the community of computer chess, then I do not
see problems in the post of Vas.

Paulo Soares
Absolutely right - and you know I bet Vas doesn't give a toss about the money. It will be a matter of principle for him