Galjoen 0.41 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Galjoen 0.41.2 released

Post by Gabor Szots »

Werner Taelemans wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:33 am - The problem with time forfeits should be solved now.
- IID is back in.
- Galjoen doesn't use polling anymore. When it's not its turn, Galjoen should use zero CPU time.
- This should be the strongest version. At least in self play it is, although by a small margin.
Thank you Werner. Good to hear you have managed to solve these problems. We'll see how it fares in the tests.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Werner Taelemans wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:33 am - The problem with time forfeits should be solved now.
- IID is back in.
- Galjoen doesn't use polling anymore. When it's not its turn, Galjoen should use zero CPU time.
- This should be the strongest version. At least in self play it is, although by a small margin.
You might want to try IIR instead of IID, it gave me 35 elo, it even gave stockfish 10 elo. It's just one instruction.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtop ... =7&t=74769

Meanwhile I have put Galjoen on the rack for the GRL, 700 games.

So far +37 elo.

http://rebel13.nl/a/grl.htm

Page refreshes each 30 seconds.

Results are kept, click Match History.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Werner Taelemans
Full name: Werner Taelemans

Post by Werner Taelemans »

Rebel wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:54 am You might want to try IIR instead of IID, it gave me 35 elo, it even gave stockfish 10 elo. It's just one instruction.
That's interesting. It's also easy to implement. I started a test this afternoon, and after 200 games the result is still positive.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Rebel wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:54 am You might want to try IIR instead of IID, it gave me 35 elo, it even gave stockfish 10 elo. It's just one instruction.

wow, Ed. how could I miss your IIR? running a test now and looks really good (after several failed patches in a row), I'll probably gain more than 10 elo at hyperbullet, which is actually quite a big gain for me.
the only drawback is that Cheng now fails to solve some tactical positions it used to, I'll probably try to find a cure and if I do without losing elo. It's always the same with elo, if it works in 99.9% positions, you gain elo. but sometimes I also care about the 0.1% :)

I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea?
Martin Sedlak
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mar wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:17 pm

wow, Ed. how could I miss your IIR? running a test now and looks really good (after several failed patches in a row), I'll probably gain more than 10 elo at hyperbullet, which is actually quite a big gain for me.
the only drawback is that Cheng now fails to solve some tactical positions it used to, I'll probably try to find a cure and if I do without losing elo. It's always the same with elo, if it works in 99.9% positions, you gain elo. but sometimes I also care about the 0.1% :)

I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea?
Sure, use it by all means if it produces. And it's true, a tactical loss in strength. But compensated in elo because of the increase in search depth. Also, at least in my case, it performed clearly better at longer time control. +20 at bullet, +35 at blitz.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Werner Taelemans wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm
That's interesting. It's also easy to implement. I started a test this afternoon, and after 200 games the result is still positive.
Does that mean you are going to release a new version very soon?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Werner Taelemans

Gabor Szots wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 am Does that mean you are going to release a new version very soon?
Not very soon.
My latest tests at longer time controls are disappointing again.
Something else is going wrong and I need to find out what it is first.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Werner Taelemans wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 am Does that mean you are going to release a new version very soon?
Not very soon.
My latest tests at longer time controls are disappointing again.
Something else is going wrong and I need to find out what it is first.
Good luck solving the issue. In the meantime I have started a gauntlet with 0.41.2.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Werner Taelemans

Gabor Szots wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm Good luck solving the issue. In the meantime I have started a gauntlet with 0.41.2.
Thanks.

I found the cause of the problem. For years I've been using the same opening book to train and test Galjoen.
This book served me well in the past, but now, version 0.41 is totally overfitted on these openings.
When I use another book, I see an immediate drop in performance of at least 40 Elo.

I'll leave 0.41 for what it is, and I will use other openings to train the next version of Galjoen.
Gregory Owett

Re: Galjoen 0.41 released

Post by Gregory Owett »

Hi,
Is the version 0.41.2 downloadable somewhere, because I can only find the v. 0.41.1 on your site ? :roll: