stockfish freezes chessbase

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jumapari
Full name: Matthias Richter

stockfish freezes chessbase

Post by jumapari »

Hello!

Since some month and some Stockfish Versions (10, 11, 12, 12 NNUE and 13) from time to time (unfortunately a lot) I have the same problem with stockfish as a engine in chessbase: It freezes the program for some 5 or 10 seconds. It seems that it not depends on the number of variations, or the number of cores, there is absolutly no pattern in the bug. All the other engines work perfectly (Komodo, Fritz, Shredder, Houdini, Rybka)
And the problem is only in chessbase, not in Fritz.

I´m running chessbase on a Windows 10 64 bit computer that is only 1 year old, and I´ve tried bmi and not bmi. I have absoulutely no idea how to fix it.

thanks a lot in advance!!!
niel5946
Full name: Niels Abildskov

Re: stockfish freezes chessbase

Post by niel5946 »

I don't know about any bugs concerning freezing in stockfish, and I myself have used stockfish in other GUIs without any problems with freezing. I would suspect the culprit to be in either your computer (perhaps not being able to run stockfish with too large hash table or too many cores) or the chessbase GUI.
Author of Loki, a C++ work in progress.
Code | Releases | Progress Log |
BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Re: stockfish freezes chessbase

Post by BeyondCritics »

First you should check, if you are not overcommiting your machine. Check the thread size for your stockfish for plausibility.

There is also currently a problem with stockfish, when some thread detects a mate. If that happens, that thread cannot continue, but it cannot "wait" also, because of a current shortcoming in the thread architecture. In order not to loose any time during competition it therefore "spins", ie. it eats up a full thread.
If you are analysing, check the output pane, if there is some mate shown.