Syzygy 7-men minimal set

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Syzygy 7-men minimal set

Post by jshriver »

Feels good to be back, hope everyone is well in these hard times.

I was reading the syzyy wiki on chessprogramming.com and it mentions a minimal set could be obtained using these recommended sets.
1) KRPPvKRP 2) KBPPvKBP 3) KPPPvKPP 4) KRPPPvKR 5) KQPPvKQP 6) KNPPvKNP 7) KNPPvKBP 8) KRBPvKRP 9) KQPPvKPP 10) KQPPPvKP 11) KBPPvKNP 12) KRPPvKRB 13) KRPPvKPP 14) KBPPvKRP 15) KRNPvKRP 16) KRBPPvKR 17) KBPPvKPP 18) KRPPPvKP 19) KRBPvKRB 20) KRPPvKRN

I may be mistaken, but i thought for pawnful egtb's you had to have all the pawnless files first as a dependency. Is that correct? If so that list wouldnt work.

Picking up 4-8TB soon and can't hold the full set. What is a good subset to get? Was thinking ones with variation of pieces like krbqkbn and not knnnknn
Exactly what are he dependency rules? I have 3,4,5,6 now.

Side note, after all these years I truly appreciate those who seed on my torrent site. Have had the same 30+ seeders the last decade.
yurikvelo

Re: Syzygy 7-men minimal set

Post by yurikvelo »

jshriver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 pm I may be mistaken, but i thought for pawnful egtb's you had to have all the pawnless files first as a dependency. Is that correct? If so that list wouldnt work.
no dependency, any single WDL will work
jshriver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 pm What is a good subset to get?
The one which will maximize TBHits, here is good start:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 40#p806992

Here is the same list in Excel format:

Yellow are files which Banksia GUI author consider "Top"
Split lines for 120/240/480/1/2/3 TB SSD
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

yurikvelo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 pm
jshriver wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 pm I may be mistaken, but i thought for pawnful egtb's you had to have all the pawnless files first as a dependency. Is that correct? If so that list wouldnt work.
no dependency, any single WDL will work
A WDL will work only if you have all sub-WDLs that can be reached by captures from the WDL. (So just make sure you have all 6-piece WDLs if you want to use any 7-piece WDLs.)

If you use a pawnful WDL without the WDLs that can be reached by promotion, one can imagine situations where the engine will refuse to promote a pawn in a winning TB position. What happens exactly will depend on the engine.
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

syzygy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm A WDL will work only if you have all sub-WDLs that can be reached by captures from the WDL. (So just make sure you have all 6-piece WDLs if you want to use any 7-piece WDLs.)
in this sense - of course, 6 (and 5-men) are available. they are small and useful anyway and full set is easy to store
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

And, once cutechess gets to it, there's the case of adjudication. If you want to adjudicate all 7-men endings, you need all 7-men WDL files.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Banksia GUI support 7-piece adjudication as of now.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I'm sure it's not the only one, but for almost a decade now, I've found no substitute for cutechess-cli, at least when it comes to keeping GUI overhead down. So that's the only one I care about.