CoronaVirusChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chrisw

Re: 14th ACCA World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Post by chrisw »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:26 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:10 pm
chrisw wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:01 pm Chris, with all due respect, that is all you are going to get since I still have no idea what you are talking about.

To withdraw something I would need to know what I am withdrawing, and to apologize I would need to at least have an inkling what you think I said. Except, and I am now on my second coffee already, I simply have no clue. None. Whatever 'gossipy slur' or 'dirt' you think was stated, or might have been stated, is as yet only in your mind, because as much as I try (maybe I need a stronger espresso brand) I cannot fathom what it might be.

The best you will get from this self-inflicted fit of yours is that nothing in my post was aimed at you, nor was anything negative regarding you or your work ever construed in even the darkest recesses of my mind.
I suspect Chris is just looking for an excuse to pull out.
Not at all. And contribution negative from yet another little piece of shit, confirms my decision. If entry into a tournament which is announced here on CCC results in rude shit and gossip from dysfunctional CCC idiots, well, is no fun to be in the tournament. So, I'm out.
Charles Roberson, who is a nice guy as far as I am concerned, will get a formal withdrawal notification shortly.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

chrisw wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm
chrisw wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:31 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:41 pm
CRoberson wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:20 pm
Harvey Williamson wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:30 pm
chrisw wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:04 am
Hi Charles,

May I enter with CoronaVirusChess, please.
Great name for a Chess engine. It deserves to win this year!
Yes, it could kill 6% of its competition and put the rest in the ICU. :D
Nah... just expose the source code to plenty of sunlight.
You just withdraw the implied wrongdoing right now, little piece of shit. 24 hours, else the entry is withdrawn.
Are you on drugs? For your information it was a clear swipe at Trump, and his absurd idea that one can kill Covid by exposing our innards to UV. I will assume you read about that one. The weak joke being that the antidote to preventing your CVC engine from killing 6% of the competition, and placing the rest in ICU is to expose its innards (or source code in its case) to sunlight.

I need to add that it boggles my mind I need to explain this in such detail. I also, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, have no idea what implied wrongdoing you have in mind, other than you went bananas at the idea.

Addendum: I was also genuinely delighted to see your entry and am curious to see it in play regardless of results.
Not good enough. A full apology and complete withdrawal of implied wrongdoing and allegations about source code with additional apology and withdrawal of the above additional slurs and rudeness, right now. I do not have to, nor will I, put up with gossipy slurs from little creeps operating within dysfunctional CCC with nothing better to do than hurl dirt. 24 hours else the completely private entry is withdrawn from the tournament.
Chris, with all due respect, that is all you are going to get since I still have no idea what you are talking about.

To withdraw something I would need to know what I am withdrawing, and to apologize I would need to at least have an inkling what you think I said. Except, and I am now on my second coffee already, I simply have no clue. None. Whatever 'gossipy slur' or 'dirt' you think was stated, or might have been stated, is as yet only in your mind, because as much as I try (maybe I need a stronger espresso brand) I cannot fathom what it might be.

The best you will get from this self-inflicted fit of yours is that nothing in my post was aimed at you, nor was anything negative regarding you or your work ever construed in even the darkest recesses of my mind.
Not good enough. More insults. Entry has been withdrawn.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

chrisw wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:19 pm
chrisw wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Hi Charles,

You just withdraw the implied wrongdoing right now, little piece of shit. 24 hours, else the entry is withdrawn.
Are you on drugs? For your information it was a clear swipe at Trump, and his absurd idea that one can kill Covid by exposing our innards to UV. I will assume you read about that one. The weak joke being that the antidote to preventing your CVC engine from killing 6% of the competition, and placing the rest in ICU is to expose its innards (or source code in its case) to sunlight.

I need to add that it boggles my mind I need to explain this in such detail. I also, and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, have no idea what implied wrongdoing you have in mind, other than you went bananas at the idea.

Addendum: I was also genuinely delighted to see your entry and am curious to see it in play regardless of results.
Not good enough. A full apology and complete withdrawal of implied wrongdoing and allegations about source code with additional apology and withdrawal of the above additional slurs and rudeness, right now. I do not have to, nor will I, put up with gossipy slurs from little creeps operating within dysfunctional CCC with nothing better to do than hurl dirt. 24 hours else the completely private entry is withdrawn from the tournament.
Chris, with all due respect, that is all you are going to get since I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Not good enough. More insults. Entry has been withdrawn.
You do as you please of course, but I will agree with Harvey in that I think you are going out of your way to find excuses to withdraw. Why this is so, I can only imagine. However, I would strongly suggest you look carefully in that mirror before complaining about insults. I made a joke about Trump, and this became a justification to call me names and use profanity in every single post, based on some trumped up (pun intended) claims of 'implied wrongdoing'.

For the record, what was this 'implied wrongdoing'? If I ask, it is because by now I am curious enough to want to know. Maybe I am overly innocent or intellectually challenged, but I cannot figure it out. I know you stated it was related to the source code, but what the implied wrongdoing involved might be is outside my ken.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Hi Charles,

When I first read Albert's statement, I thought it pertained to how to heal the programs that your program kills.
I did not think he was slamming you or your program. After seeing your response, it took me a bit of rethinking to see your interpretation.
Now, I can see both ways thus ambiguity. So, it is not obvious anymore what he meant.
However, I think my first interpretation was what he meant.
Charles
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

I guess it was a misunderstanding.

Both should calm down and continue as normal without withdrawing event, IMO.

It was meant as a joke but I do completely understand why Chris goes up like a rocket.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Chris,

For the record, there was no implied anything. A joke started on the name of the engine, and I simply went with it. If any secondary meaning was thrown in, it was directed at the soon-to-be former US president. The idea that you might somehow read it otherwise, or anyone, never crossed my mind, and I had to have it spelled out to me to even understand what it was you thought was in there.

I am sorry you felt so attacked by a post that was never meant to be such. I don't think others read it that way either as a rule, so there wasn't even any involuntary subliminal messaging that I can see. Let's move on, shall we?

Play in the event, enjoy it, show off your creation.

This will be my last word on this affair and I am hoping you will see fit to accept this olive branch.

Peace,

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Albert Silver wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 pm Chris,

For the record, there was no implied anything. A joke started on the name of the engine, and I simply went with it. If any secondary meaning was thrown in, it was directed at the soon-to-be former US president. The idea that you might somehow read it otherwise, or anyone, never crossed my mind, and I had to have it spelled out to me to even understand what it was you thought was in there.

I am sorry you felt so attacked
Classic Fauxpology

by a post that was never meant to be such. I don't think others read it that way either as a rule, so there wasn't even any involuntary subliminal messaging that I can see. Let's move on, shall we?

Play in the event, enjoy it, show off your creation.

This will be my last word on this affair
Exact same terminology as used to run away from Crem when plagiarising LCZero. Untrue, of course, there followed the psychophantic self-promoting BS articles in ChessBase magazine.

and I am hoping you will see fit to accept this olive branch.
See fauxpology above.

Peace,

Albert
I don’t accept, nor my private source code, to be a gossip focal point for those with malicious history, for simply entering, purpose-fun, an entirely unseen-by-anybody private engine into an online tournament. We know how these malicious gossiping “jokes” can end up on dysfunctional CCC, no? I don’t need fame, I don’t need money, I don’t need to prove anything, if it’s not fun, I don’t do it. You, plus your fat slug friend BS mind-reading, make it not fun. Fauxpologies make it not fun. If engine programmers of forty years experience, twenty years commercial, can’t write and enter online without this kind of shite from various hate figures collected up over the years, well. Conclusion obvious, I’m out, simply not worth the undesired gossip attention.
ernest

Post by ernest »

Chris,

I don't dare to imagine what more Albert should do to satisfy you... :twisted:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hi Charles,

For the purpose of what?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
castlehaven
Full name: Andrew Metrick

Post by castlehaven »

FWIW, I read Albert’s comment completely as a political joke about crazy Trump COVID cures. Such jokes (about sunlight, bleach etc.) are ubiquitous these days in the USA. Everyone works so hard on their engines here, so we are all primed for attacks. I understand that. But this really looked like a very topical joke.