BPOCG

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Dann Corbit
Posts: 12141
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

BPOCG

Post by Dann Corbit » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 pm

I have had some requests for my collection of correspondence games, henceforth known as "Big Pile Of Correspondence Games".
It turns out my memory was a little fuzzy. I don't have a million correspondence games, I have two million.
Anyway, this is a link to the 7zip compressed PGN file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lezGRJ ... sp=sharing

Get it fast because I won't leave it up forever.
About 205MB compressed and 1.3GB decompressed.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Volker Pittlik
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:10 pm
Location: Murten / Morat, Switzerland

Re: BPOCG

Post by Volker Pittlik » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks Dann!

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5877
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: BPOCG

Post by Rebel » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 pm
I have had some requests for my collection of correspondence games, henceforth known as "Big Pile Of Correspondence Games".
It turns out my memory was a little fuzzy. I don't have a million correspondence games, I have two million.
Anyway, this is a link to the 7zip compressed PGN file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lezGRJ ... sp=sharing

Get it fast because I won't leave it up forever.
About 205MB compressed and 1.3GB decompressed.
That's a nice collection, thanks.

It gave 2.2 million new positions, in total now 31 million.

Did a tryout analysis 100,000 positions, SF12, depth=20, 18 threads, time 2h:55m, rounded, 3 hours.
CPU - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz

For 31 million positions (18 threads) that would mean 310*3=930 hours = 38 days and 18 hours.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 12141
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: BPOCG

Post by Dann Corbit » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Afterwards, I suggest to mini-max them.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 12141
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: BPOCG

Post by Dann Corbit » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm

I guess that almost all of them will be analyzed already by Bojun Guo.
Now, a lot of his data will be analyzed with a slightly older version of SF, so you might want to go ahead and analyze for that reason, but I guess almost all of them will already have been analyzed and stored in his dataset.
A lookup will be a lot faster than an analysis pass. If you download his full database, the lookups will be local rather than over the net and hence greasy fast.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5877
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: BPOCG

Post by Rebel » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm
I guess that almost all of them will be analyzed already by Bojun Guo.
Now, a lot of his data will be analyzed with a slightly older version of SF, so you might want to go ahead and analyze for that reason, but I guess almost all of them will already have been analyzed and stored in his dataset.
A lookup will be a lot faster than an analysis pass. If you download his full database, the lookups will be local rather than over the net and hence greasy fast.
Yes, I forgot about his excellent work.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply