The most stupid idea by the Stockfish Team

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

F.Huber

Re: The most stupid idea by the Stockfish Team

Post by F.Huber »

Cornfed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:06 pm
F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:40 pm
Kieren Pearson wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm Outside of computer chess enthusiasts, most people want to just be able to download the engine and have it work (with default settings be as strong as possible) with minimal fuss.
Most people? I would say that's true only for 5% of idiots, who are not able to download the network file and put it into the same folder as the Stockfish engine!
more than 5%...and that you use the term 'idiots' may just show you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to any percentage.
Yep, with you it's 6% ... :mrgreen:
chessico

Post by chessico »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm Yep, with you it's 6% ... :mrgreen:
Are you angry because your win98 notebook cannot handle files that big?
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

chessico,

You are not seeing the bigger picture. Why not try and use that brain of yours a little bit?

if you keep downloading 10 different compiles of 20 MB seize every time there is new release you will have to buy couple of new SSD hard drives every time to keep up with Stockfish progress. I hope not other engine authors that have their engines based on Stockfish copy this moronic SF idea that has been implemented..
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

chessico wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm Are you angry because your win98 notebook cannot handle files that big?
Win98? No, I'm still on MSDOS 2.0! :mrgreen:
nabildanial

Post by nabildanial »

I don't get the fuss around this commit. I thought that it's pretty neat that the build works out of the box with NNUE, without the need of tinkering around with nets.
schack wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm Biggest problem for now is that embedding is creating false positives on some systems.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file-ana ... /detection
I uploaded abrok's latest build on virustotal, it's totally clean.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/d8c ... /detection
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:49 pm
Cornfed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:06 pm
F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:40 pm
Kieren Pearson wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm Outside of computer chess enthusiasts, most people want to just be able to download the engine and have it work (with default settings be as strong as possible) with minimal fuss.
Most people? I would say that's true only for 5% of idiots, who are not able to download the network file and put it into the same folder as the Stockfish engine!
more than 5%...and that you use the term 'idiots' may just show you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to any percentage.
Yep, with you it's 6% ... :mrgreen:
Surely it should not be any trouble for you to compile the executable yourself without embedded network? Or are you in the 6% that don't know how to do that?
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

Damir wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:12 pm if you keep downloading 10 different compiles of 20 MB seize every time there is new release you will have to buy couple of new SSD hard drives every time to keep up with Stockfish progress. I hope not other engine authors that have their engines based on Stockfish copy this moronic SF idea that has been implemented..
Don't you also download every single Leela network that comes out ? I can guarantee you it will take even more space.

And keeping every single Stockfish compile is even more nonsensical than keeping every Leela network, because for history archiving purpose you're better off just cloning the git repository and downloading nets on the side. Don't tell me you need these compiles to sit on a SSD rather than a HDD and that you need to have them all instantly available for the purpose of analyzing/running games, it makes no sense at all.
corres

Post by corres »

syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 pm ...
Surely it should not be any trouble for you to compile the executable yourself without embedded network? Or are you in the 6% that don't know how to do that?
6 % (?) of the engine user who may be in trouble placing in the NNUE-net.
Concerning the compilation of SF+NNUE I mentioned the SF developer forgot to name the Windows compiler what appropriate to their "simple" Make file and to SF+NNUE non-embedded.
I think if you, Mr. "syzygy" publish this information, there would be many people who would thank you for help.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

corres wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm
syzygy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 pm ...
6 % (?) of the engine user who may be in trouble placing in the NNUE-net.
Concerning the compilation of SF+NNUE I mentioned the SF developer forgot to name the Windows compiler what appropriate to their "simple" Make file and to SF+NNUE non-embedded.
I think if you, Mr. "syzygy" publish this information, there would be many people who would thank you for help.
I'm not sure what you are asking for exactly.
Note that the "6%" number I mentioned was meant to be sarcastic (towards the person I was responding to).
corres

Post by corres »

corres wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm Concerning the compilation of SF+NNUE I mentioned the SF developer forgot to name the Windows compiler what appropriate to their "simple" Make file and to SF+NNUE non-embedded.
This is my text without sarcasm.
So which Windows compiler is good for SF+NNUE without embedding??
Excluding Visual Studio.