Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 pm Bug: I still caught 3 Chess960 games even when I had the Chess960 box unticked.

Thanks
Thanks a lot for the report. I have done a quick fix (same version). Please re-download.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm
AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 pm Bug: I still caught 3 Chess960 games even when I had the Chess960 box unticked.

Thanks
Thanks a lot for the report. I have done a quick fix (same version). Please re-download.
Thanks, also I have noticed that I do not hear board sounds when using LiChess Bots. Not a big deal to me, they seem to work everywhere else, but I thought I would mention it.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:59 pm
Jonathan003 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 pm I tried the new book conversion option.
Not all lines are there, even not all main lines are there.
I tried it with the bin book gm2600 that comes with Scid.

As you can see in the tree window, from the pgn file from the converted bin book. Only the moves dxc4, and Bf5 are there.
Thanks a lot for the report.

I am struggling to reproduce the problem. I do as the following steps:

1) Convert

For a quick test, I set the depth to 8 only, then convert from gm2600.bin (347 KB) to g2600.pgn (114 KB):

2) Verify
I open gm2600.bin to view (by BSG) and use a simple text editor to open g2600.pgn. For each line in the book tree, I simply search (text search) on the text editor.

Almost all lines can be found on the g2600.pgn (except the last two lines - they are shorter than 8 depth.

Can you help to check manually like the above steps? Thanks again.
I installed version 0.27c and tried it as you described.
It have the same result as when I tried it the first time. There are only two replies in the pgn, after the moves 1.d4 d5 2.c4 (the moves 2...Bf5 and 2...dxc4)
I have made a video capture of it so you can see it for your self.

I find it strange if I open the bin book gm2600.bin both in Banksia, Scid, and WinBoard-AA ; I can see different replies for the same position.
After the moves 1.d4 Nf3 I can only see one reply: 2.Nf3, in Scid and WinBoard-AA, and I can see two replies: 2.Nf3 and 2.e4 in Banksia. In the pgn after conversion I can also see the two replies 2.Nf3 and 2.e4

You have to click on the image to see it in big.

I also have another request. It would be nice if the resulting pgn after conversion, was in short algebraic notation. Also for browsing a bin book in Banksia it would be nice if the moves where in short algebraic notation.
I first converted the pgn to cbh in Chessbase afterwards I replaced the pgn. To get the games in short algebraic notation.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Hi,
I'd like to play a time handicap match (set a different time control for each engine).
Is it possible with Banksia ?

Vincent
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Can you enable a way to disable 'Concurrency'? Only wish to play one game at a time and cannot set 'Concurrency' to 0.

Thanks
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

I did some other test to see how the book conversion works.
I created a bin book 6 ply deep from the main lines of top players. I loaded this book in Banksia and in Scid. I converted this bin book to pgn in Banksia and I imported this pgn in Chess Position Trainer. I created two openings for it, one for white and one for black.
Than I jumped to positions with more than one candidate move > '1 candidate moves', and I copied the position to Scid to see if the same variations are included in the bin book. I also navigated to this position in the bin book in Banksia, (if I could, many times the variations are not in the bin book).
This is not necessary a bad thing, maybe it are useful transpositions, (as long it are not transposition errors like when converting a bin book to pgn with polyglot-tolerant). I can always delete variations I don's want, which is easier than adding useful transpositions.
The problem is that not all lines are included in the pgn after conversion.

It would be nice to be able in Banksia to past a position, and than load a book with this position on the board, like it is possible in Scid and any other Chess GUI.

I will send you the databases and the bin book in a PM, so you can check it for yourself.

Here is a video capture:

Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Post by Rom77 »

Vinvin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 am Hi,
I'd like to play a time handicap match (set a different time control for each engine).
Is it possible with Banksia ?

Vincent
Yes:
Tournaments => New Tournament => Multi timers => v
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

First, thank you for adding Chess960 support for Winboard engines and for fixing the issue with using a book. I can confirm they are both working.

Question: After a lichess game finishes, the log tab is cleared and the game on the screen is an old one played offline. How does one find the PGN and log for the previously played lichess games?
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

It appears the "level" command is still not being sent to Winboard engines to tell them the time control.
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks
How do you set different time control handicap on your GUI, for instance I would like to set Komodo 14 with only 10 seconds for the entire game and for me 60 minutes ?
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/