Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX »

Not sure if this is a bug, but I am looking into it. Running Version 26 on two systems and when I now try to play a local network game the GUI has been crashing on the remote system.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by AdminX »

AdminX wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 am Not sure if this is a bug, but I am looking into it. Running Version 26 on two systems and when I now try to play a local network game the GUI has been crashing on the remote system.
UPDATE: At 1st I thought this might be a Firewall issue, so I uninstalled my ESET anti-virus and firewall software and ran another test. However the problem still exist. Everything worked fine untill I upgraded to version 26.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

I tried the new book conversion option.
Not all lines are there, even not all main lines are there.
I tried it with the bin book gm2600 that comes with Scid.

As you can see in the tree window, from the pgn file from the converted bin book. Only the moves dxc4, and Bf5 are there.
MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Post by MCDermont »

i will still remember you on the casteling problem :D
its still there , the move is stored in the bin book but no engine will use the stored move :(

greetings
Sergio Martinez

Post by Sergio Martinez »

jorose wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am
The other point is I was wondering where I can access or save the PGN(s) of the games from the tournament? I can replay the games in a small window in the application, but I can't figure out how to save those games to PGN. The application seems well thought out and intuitive mostly, so I imagine I am misunderstanding something obvious.
---> New tournament ---> Logs ---> Games (set path)
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 am Bug Report: I've been noticing that time is out of sync by about 5 to 8 seconds when using LiChess Bot. The GUI believes that there is more time than is actually available. This happens at least when I do test games vs LiChess Stockfish Bot. Does not seem to happen vs other bots. Wanted to report it anyway.
Thanks a lot for the report. The bug has been fixed for the next release.

The bug is caused by BSG always adds time increment to the time left (updated from Lichess) before ordering engines to calculate moves. It means engines get time left bigger than the real one (=increment) and may get trouble when the time left too small. For a temporary solution before having the new release, you can play Lichess bot with time increment = 0.
AdminX wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm LiChess Bots: Can you add an option for Corresponence? I get Corresponence matches that I would like to disable from the GUI.
it is actually another bug. BSG should always refuse Corresponence games. Will fix. Thanks again
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

zenpawn wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am
phhnguyen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:49 am
zenpawn wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am It seems that Banksia does not recognize Winboard engines as being capable of playing chess960.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

You are right. Actually even I have coded BSG to understand WB engine's chess variants, I did not test them with that chess variant since I was struggling to find them (Winboard engines supporting chess 960). Can you/someones suggest some of them? I prefer ones for macOS but Windows OK.
Don't know of any macOS ones, but here are a few FRC Winboard engines:

ExChess https://sites.google.com/site/experimentalchessprogram/
Schooner https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/home
SlowChess Blitz http://www.3dkingdoms.com/chess/slow.htm (both UCI and Winboard)
Thanks a lot for the links. Interestingly, two of those three engines can work with UCI protocol too thus they don't have any problem with BSG :D
zenpawn wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:24 pm
AdminX wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm LiChess Bots: Can you add an option for Corresponence? I get Corresponence matches that I would like to disable from the GUI.
Adding on to this, I see variants are not an option when challenging via the GUI, but can it accept variant challenges? If not, that would be a great feature (at least the variants that use standard chess pieces, like FRC, 3-check, etc.). I suppose it goes hand-in-hand with the current bug whereby the GUI doesn't realize Winboard engines can play chess960 too. :)
Lichess bot on BSG version 0.26 works only with standard chess. I have been working to add chess 960 to it from the next release. Look like I have fixed the bug of chess960 for Winboard engines too.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

jorose wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am I used the recent Winter v0.8 release as an opportunity to test a couple GUIs, including Banksia. I am for the most part quite happy and feel this will likely be one of my main chess applications (together with Cutechess, XBoard and Scid) moving forward. That being said, two points:

When I ran a tournament and set base hash and threads to respective values, some of the engines seemed to ignore these values so I ended up restarting the tournament with the settings for all the engines individually fixed to the correct values. Is there something I did incorrectly, or was that just a bug?
Thanks a lot for the report.

If it happens again, please help us by checking the engine log to see if BSG setup engines correctly (send correct options, features to engines). The log can set up from New tournament dialog.
jorose wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am The other point is I was wondering where I can access or save the PGN(s) of the games from the tournament? I can replay the games in a small window in the application, but I can't figure out how to save those games to PGN. The application seems well thought out and intuitive mostly, so I imagine I am misunderstanding something obvious.
Sergio Martinez wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 pm
jorose wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am
The other point is I was wondering where I can access or save the PGN(s) of the games from the tournament? I can replay the games in a small window in the application, but I can't figure out how to save those games to PGN. The application seems well thought out and intuitive mostly, so I imagine I am misunderstanding something obvious.
---> New tournament ---> Logs ---> Games (set path)
Thank Sergio for the help! Yes, you set up PGN as a log from New tournament dialog.
MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Post by MCDermont »

MCDermont wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm i will still remember you on the casteling problem :D
its still there , the move is stored in the bin book but no engine will use the stored move :(

greetings
please dont forgot it :P
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 am
AdminX wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 am Not sure if this is a bug, but I am looking into it. Running Version 26 on two systems and when I now try to play a local network game the GUI has been crashing on the remote system.
UPDATE: At 1st I thought this might be a Firewall issue, so I uninstalled my ESET anti-virus and firewall software and ran another test. However the problem still exist. Everything worked fine untill I upgraded to version 26.
Thanks a lot for the report. The bug (added when I have tried to support chess960 for games on LAN) has been fixed for the next report.