Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen, hope I'm not too annoying. Banksia is now quite suitable for my tournaments, but there are some points that can be improved.

1. It seems that I have one more problem related to languages. The file "logengins.txt" is not created if the path to it contains Russian letters. At the same time, both other files - "tourgames.pgn" and "logresults.txt" are created and written normally when using any path. I did not check the "logengins.txt" file entry before, but now I decided to check it, and here is such a surprise. Of course, I can place this file in a directory whose path contains only Latin characters, but maybe there is a simple solution to the problem, which will not be difficult for you to implement?

As I understand it, "logengins.txt" is the only file out of three that is recorded during the game. Maybe this is the source of the problem? Unfortunately, this file is not recorded even after the end of the game. In addition, the path to all three files in JSON still looks strange: "path": C:/u0417/u0430/u0433/u0440/u0443/u0437/u043a/u0438/Chess/BanksiaGui/Tests/logengins.txt "

2. Awarding the victory in the game occurs for twice as many half-moves as specified in the settings. For example, I have set the victory award ("Resign by engine scores") when exceeding the "Score threshold" -800 cp for 6 ply "Two sides", but the game is awarded after 12 ply on both sides. It is right?

3. Windows => About => Auto check for newer versions
This position is restored after each restart of the GUI. But it should not be so. Otherwise, this option does not make sense.

4. When switching between game tabs in a tournament, the "Score graph" window is not immediately updated. First you have to go to the next tab/window "Engine log", then go back to the tab/window "Score graph", which only then will be updated.

5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.

6. If during the tournament you often call up the "Show all plaing games" window, it will appear lower and lower each time. As a result, you need to constantly raise it up. It would be nice to somehow stabilize this window.

7. Maybe in the "logresults.txt" file it would be better to separate tournaments that go one after another? It is also useful to enter additional information about the tournament. For example, after "Tournamemt finished! Elapsed: 1:26:51" and the start of the next tournament, enter an empty line, and then something like this:
"Tournamemt started! Date 2020.05.01, 10:45:00, Time Control 8400 + 40."
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Just found out we have a Banksia tree in our backyard. It has white flowers.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
silitho
Full name: Silitho Danuur

Post by silitho »

Hi, I started working on a German language package.
The sources can be found here: https://github.com/silitho/BanksiaGUI-Translation
Any support is welcome.
Charly

Post by Charly »

silitho wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am Hi, I started working on a German language package.
The sources can be found here: https://github.com/silitho/BanksiaGUI-Translation
Any support is welcome.
Hi,

I already made the french translation available in Banksia GUI.

I just saw in the github page that you're searching for "bsg_fr.ts"

Tell me in PM where I cand sent it to you.
Brittany from the sky :
https://youtu.be/nR9eU_tVbxE
silitho
Full name: Silitho Danuur

Post by silitho »

Charly wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 pm Tell me in PM where I cand sent it to you.
Unfortunately the forum does not allow me a PM because I am new registered.
So I wrote you an email to the address found on your website.
MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Post by MCDermont »

MCDermont wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:05 am
Version 0.23 beta released
hi phhnguyen

I would like to remind you of the casteling problem since it still exists.
Banksia GUI still deletes an existing casteling move from a polyglot bin book
after i use youre GUI to add game to opening books
Also existing bin books will be corrupted with youre GUI that shouldnt happen !!!
pls try to fix the problem .
If you need some help about this problem and youre able to use Teamviewer im willing to give you acces
to my machine and show you directly the problem maybe you understand than the problem better

Let us make an appointment.
Time isnt a problem for me just give me a date with a fixed time and we can go on the problem

Regards
Robert
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

MCDermont wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:05 am
Version 0.23 beta released
hi phhnguyen

I would like to remind you of the casteling problem since it still exists.
Banksia GUI still deletes an existing casteling move from a polyglot bin book
after i use youre GUI to add game to opening books
Also existing bin books will be corrupted with youre GUI that shouldnt happen !!!
pls try to fix the problem .
If you need some help about this problem and youre able to use Teamviewer im willing to give you acces
to my machine and show you directly the problem maybe you understand than the problem better

Let us make an appointment.
Time isnt a problem for me just give me a date with a fixed time and we can go on the problem

Regards
Robert
Thanks a lot for your reminding and the offer for help. It is still on my TODO list and I will start soon. I will try to reproduce the problem first then may ask for your help later. Thanks again :D
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am phhnguyen, hope I'm not too annoying. Banksia is now quite suitable for my tournaments, but there are some points that can be improved.
Thanks a lot for your report. Any idea, report, feedback is always useful. They make BSG be better, help both developers and users. All are always more than welcome :D
Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 1. It seems that I have one more problem related to languages. The file "logengins.txt" is not created if the path to it contains Russian letters. At the same time, both other files - "tourgames.pgn" and "logresults.txt" are created and written normally when using any path. I did not check the "logengins.txt" file entry before, but now I decided to check it, and here is such a surprise. Of course, I can place this file in a directory whose path contains only Latin characters, but maybe there is a simple solution to the problem, which will not be difficult for you to implement?

As I understand it, "logengins.txt" is the only file out of three that is recorded during the game. Maybe this is the source of the problem? Unfortunately, this file is not recorded even after the end of the game. In addition, the path to all three files in JSON still looks strange: "path": C:/u0417/u0430/u0433/u0440/u0443/u0437/u043a/u0438/Chess/BanksiaGui/Tests/logengins.txt "

2. Awarding the victory in the game occurs for twice as many half-moves as specified in the settings. For example, I have set the victory award ("Resign by engine scores") when exceeding the "Score threshold" -800 cp for 6 ply "Two sides", but the game is awarded after 12 ply on both sides. It is right?
Can you post the end of those games here to verify? If BSG works correctly, it should rule the games based on 6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total.
Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 3. Windows => About => Auto check for newer versions
This position is restored after each restart of the GUI. But it should not be so. Otherwise, this option does not make sense.

4. When switching between game tabs in a tournament, the "Score graph" window is not immediately updated. First you have to go to the next tab/window "Engine log", then go back to the tab/window "Score graph", which only then will be updated.

5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.
Score indicator works based on the current score of the engine that is in turn. Some engines may delay printing out scores or print out incorrect scores (in terms of overall situations), especially in hard cases.

You and/or anyone has ideas to improve? Should we use the average score of two sides or last several ones?
Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 6. If during the tournament you often call up the "Show all plaing games" window, it will appear lower and lower each time. As a result, you need to constantly raise it up. It would be nice to somehow stabilize this window.

7. Maybe in the "logresults.txt" file it would be better to separate tournaments that go one after another? It is also useful to enter additional information about the tournament. For example, after "Tournamemt finished! Elapsed: 1:26:51" and the start of the next tournament, enter an empty line, and then something like this:
"Tournamemt started! Date 2020.05.01, 10:45:00, Time Control 8400 + 40."
All other bugs will be fixed soon. Thanks again
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 am Just found out we have a Banksia tree in our backyard. It has white flowers.
Oh, I see, you live in NZ, quite close to me :)
Perhaps I have never seen a white one. In my area, there are so many Banksia trees (the suburb next to us is called Banksia) but they all are red flowers.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

silitho wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am Hi, I started working on a German language package.
Any support is welcome.
Thanks a lot for your work!

Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?