New release: rofChade 2.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ronald
Full name: Ronald Friederich

New release: rofChade 2.3

Post by Ronald »

Hi,

It’s getting harder to make progress in rofChade but it looks like this version is stronger than 2.202 by 30 to 40 elo. :lol:

rofChade 2.3 can be downloaded from the website : http://rofchade.nl under the tab "Download" and is available for Windows, Linux, Mac and Raspberry Pi. Under the tab “Releases” the version changes are defined.

Main focus areas for the coming version(2.4) are tuning and multi threading.

A special thanks for this version goes to Ipmanchess who noticed a time management bug in sudden death games and tested the fix. Another special thanks goes to Alayant for sharing his solution on “endgame complexity.”

Thanks to all the testers and everybody who takes interest in rofChade!

Ronald
Jamal Bubker

Re: New release: rofChade 2.3

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Thanks very much for this new release :D :D +30-40 elo points are a huge improvement !! Nice 8-)
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Ronald,

Thank you for the new release. I am having an issue trying to use it though, getting an error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found.
Is this expected (i.e. do I need to install additional software)?

Please let me know, thanks.
Peter
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

kasinp wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm Ronald,

Thank you for the new release. I am having an issue trying to use it though, getting an error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found.

Peter
rofChade is compiled with Visual studio 2019. The underlying "basic" software is not yet installed on every Windows computer.If you get the error: “missing vcruntime140_1.dll”, then install latest Microsoft C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2019 from the microsoft site.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:30 pm
kasinp wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm Ronald,

Peter
rofChade is compiled with Visual studio 2019. The underlying "basic" software is not yet installed on every Windows computer.If you get the error: “missing vcruntime140_1.dll”, then install latest Microsoft C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2019 from the microsoft site.
Got it, thanks.
Peter
Fuddur

Post by Fuddur »

Ronald wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:52 pm Hi,

It’s getting harder to make progress in rofChade but it looks like this version is stronger than 2.202 by 30 to 40 elo. :lol:

rofChade 2.3 can be downloaded from the website : http://rofchade.nl under the tab "Download" and is available for Windows, Linux, Mac and Raspberry Pi. Under the tab “Releases” the version changes are defined.

Main focus areas for the coming version(2.4) are tuning and multi threading.

A special thanks for this version goes to Ipmanchess who noticed a time management bug in sudden death games and tested the fix. Another special thanks goes to Alayant for sharing his solution on “endgame complexity.”

Thanks to all the testers and everybody who takes interest in rofChade!

Ronald
Please make a android compilation!
Thanks
MOBMAT

Post by MOBMAT »

If you used MSVS for the Windows compile, then I believe there is a setting to create a stand alone .EXE that doesn't require additional DLLs.
i7-6700K @ 4.00Ghz 32Gb, Win 10 Home, EGTBs on PCI SSD
Benchmark: Stockfish15.1 NNUE x64 bmi2 (nps): 1277K
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

MOBMAT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 am If you used MSVS for the Windows compile, then I believe there is a setting to create a stand alone .EXE that doesn't require additional DLLs.
If you choose as runtime library 'Multi Threaded' instead of 'Multi Threaded DLL' MSVC will link the runtime library statically. The executable will get a little bit larger, but there is no need to download and install the MSVC runtime anymore.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

The Windows CRT is a central part of Windows 10, and is automatically updated as part of Windows update. For Windows 10 users the last version is always available on their system(if they use windows update of course). Only users with older WIndows versions might need to install the redistributable. The redistributable is used by every MSVC19 compiled program.

If you build the executable with the DLL linked statically it won't be updated if a new version is released. I put a remark on the rofChade site, although only for the previous download(PeSTO). I will put it in the readme.txt.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Of course this is all true, but I remember that a couple of years ago there was a very nasty bug in the Windows 10 CRT which effectively broke console IO. Linking dynamically is no guarantee that your program keeps running after a Windows update. I don't like that dynamically linked stuff at all, it's a remnant of the past, at that time storage and memory were so small that it sounded like a good idea.