Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Jonathan003 »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 am
Jonathan003 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm I will send you a link to my google drive with the original pgn database, the bgdb database made from the original pgn, the pgn book, and the bin book.
I have no problems in Banksia when loading the created bin book.

Here are the settings I used:
Thanks a lot, I got the file. Your setups look fine too.

However, I still can't reproduce the problem. I tried to create PGN opening books from your bgdb file, run in a few systems/computers, including macOS, Win10, a strong computer and a week computer. I even redownload BSG 0.18 from the website and tried with it. All can generate PGN books without crashing. Bellow image is the dialog after generating, run on my week computer (AMD Ryzen 5, 2 physic cores, 8GB RAM).

If you can, please try on another computer. I took a note and will come back / check further later. Thanks again :)
I don't have problems creating the book in pgn format with Banksia. It's when I try to load a book in pgn format Banksia crashes. I have tried it with the latest version 0.19, and it still crashes.
I have made a video capture of it to avoid confusion:

I only have another small Acer laptop but that's a 32 bit windows system. So I can not try Banksia on it.

This is the system I use as my main computer: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15250419

I wonder if there are other Banksia user that have this crash when trying to load a book in pgn format.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:51 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 am
Nordlandia wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 pm I tried two computer match feature and it seems to be working fine. But there is few options that would be beneficial to the operator/spectators.

* Ponderhit -> move expected by the opponent in percentage.

Considering predicted Move
Search with the predicted opponent move from the Principal Variation is actually made. If the expected move is really played by the opponent, a so called Ponder Hit occurred and one may either continue searching with the saved time.

* Pondermove -> the expected move in text. I.e " Bc4 "
Thanks for those suggestions. I have added them to my TODO list.
This is how it looks like in cutechess gui.

While in fritz gui, the percentage get updated during each game. Can be good for tournaments. Maybe it's good idea to have both alternatives. One for single game and one for tournament that keep being updated. Alternative is to make it optional which to choose.

Thanks for details :)
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

carldaman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:38 am
mmt wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 am Actually BSG did not hard code parameters of the draw adjudication thus users can set them manually. However, users need to modify its JSON file, called banksiatour.json. This file is in BSG's configuration folder (in which BSG stored all internal data).
Will you add this to the GUI? I think those are settings that everybody will want to set up before the tournament starts.
+1 Adjudication settings are very important to any one running engine tests. It's best if they're easily visible.
Nordlandia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:17 pm
carldaman wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:38 am
mmt wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 am Actually BSG did not hard code parameters of the draw adjudication thus users can set them manually. However, users need to modify its JSON file, called banksiatour.json. This file is in BSG's configuration folder (in which BSG stored all internal data).
Will you add this to the GUI? I think those are settings that everybody will want to set up before the tournament starts.
+1 Adjudication settings are very important to any one running engine tests. It's best if they're easily visible.
Maybe the current adjudication settings in cutechess gui can be inspirational.

Thanks all for your requests and tech details. I am going to implement it for the next release
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:39 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 am
Jonathan003 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm I will send you a link to my google drive with the original pgn database, the bgdb database made from the original pgn, the pgn book, and the bin book.
I have no problems in Banksia when loading the created bin book.

Here are the settings I used:
Thanks a lot, I got the file. Your setups look fine too.

However, I still can't reproduce the problem. I tried to create PGN opening books from your bgdb file, run in a few systems/computers, including macOS, Win10, a strong computer and a week computer. I even redownload BSG 0.18 from the website and tried with it. All can generate PGN books without crashing. Bellow image is the dialog after generating, run on my week computer (AMD Ryzen 5, 2 physic cores, 8GB RAM).

If you can, please try on another computer. I took a note and will come back / check further later. Thanks again :)
I don't have problems creating the book in pgn format with Banksia. It's when I try to load a book in pgn format Banksia crashes. I have tried it with the latest version 0.19, and it still crashes.
I have made a video capture of it to avoid confusion:

I only have another small Acer laptop but that's a 32 bit windows system. So I can not try Banksia on it.

This is the system I use as my main computer: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15250419

I wonder if there are other Banksia user that have this crash when trying to load a book in pgn format.
Oops, I see, sorry for completely misunderstanding!

The Opening viewer is designed for viewing Polyglot books - but not for PGN and EDP openings. Thus you can't load or see them (PGN books) via that function. However, I considered that crash is a bug since BSG should survive and inform users about the wrong use. Thanks again for that (bug report).

For viewing your PGN opening book, you may view it in the form of a PGN database. Just drag and drop that file into BSG, it will open as a PGN database.

For use, PGN opening books can be used only for tournaments but cannot use for normal games.

Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

7-piece adjudication support will be appreciated by engine testers. It will speed up time consuming tournaments and endgame test suite considerable, compared to 6-piece.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Re: New BanksiaGUI's logo needed

Post by Jonathan003 »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:54 pm To graphic designers and anyone who can help:

I wish to have a new logo for Banksia GUI.
The requirements:
- square, size from 1024x1024 (or even larger)
- has a large light color area (background or content area) thus it can be seen easily when it is in menus, bars, desktop screens of multi OSs (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- simple, clear to see, easy to recognize and distinguish (with other logos)
- no text or very few characters

I have a small budget of $US100 as a little pay/bonus to someone whose logo I can use (fully or partly).

You may post here or send it to me via email.

Any help will be highly appreciated!
Here is some inspiration for you Banksia logo inspired by nature

I like the second one. Maybe Ovyron can make something grate of it.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gbanksnz at gmail.com
Ovyron

Re: New BanksiaGUI's logo needed

Post by Ovyron »

Jonathan003 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 am I like the second one. Maybe Ovyron can make something grate of it.
Aye, the biggest problem has been the "2 or 3 shapes" and "simple shapes" restrictions. I've been thinking about making complex Banksia logos for fun, without hoping that they'd be used (because they'd go against the wanted GUI designs), and maybe some logos with text (which I think it's my forte, and the name Banksia could easily lead to good-looking designs) again for fun since there's a "no text" restrictions.

All the Banksia flowers are beautifully complex and it has been difficult to keep that beauty while losing the details.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Graham Banks wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:48 am Image
The name fits! 8-)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

carldaman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 am The name fits! 8-)
Haha! Now, that's inspiration, you add two letters to his name and get 2 logos for 1!: