Problems with access to TalkChess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Problems with access to TalkChess.com

Post by WinPooh »

Can't access TalkChess.com, receiving the following message:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Problem started a week or two ago, doesn't depend on browser/OS/Internet provider.
This message is written via Opera VPN, which is the only way for me now.
Any help, please?
crem

Re: Problems with access to TalkChess.com

Post by crem »

WinPooh wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:57 pm Can't access TalkChess.com, receiving the following message:

403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Problem started a week or two ago, doesn't depend on browser/OS/Internet provider.
This message is written via Opera VPN, which is the only way for me now.
Any help, please?
There was someone in Lc0 Discord with the same problem.

For me it doesn't work through https (but I get 404 rather than 403, after bypassing invalid certificate), but works through http. The suggestion to try http didn't work there though, so it must be something different.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Contact Sam Hull (admin), I had the same problem, around the same time.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I think it's a general problem, if you can't access it, nobody can access it.

When that happens I recommend clicking this link:

Is Talkchess down?

If it's down for everyone it'll tell you so.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Ovyron wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm I think it's a general problem, if you can't access it, nobody can access it.

Is Talkchess down?

No, It was a NL problem, or some providers in NL, other parts of the world worked fine.
Either this site was taking out widespread NL addresses, or some NL providers were blocking this site.
crem

Post by crem »

chrisw wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:18 pm
Ovyron wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm I think it's a general problem, if you can't access it, nobody can access it.

Is Talkchess down?

No, It was a NL problem, or some providers in NL, other parts of the world worked fine.
Either this site was taking out widespread NL addresses, or some NL providers were blocking this site.
I've heard about 403 forbidden problem from 5 people already, from diverse locations around the world. While for most people it works fine..
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

crem wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:19 am

Is Talkchess down?

I've heard about 403 forbidden problem from 5 people already, from diverse locations around the world. While for most people it works fine..

Sixth here, on different servers, on phone mobile networks too. 403 forbidden. Using VPN now.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Is Talkchess down?

ah, right, ok, I thought this was referring to the NL outage of a few days ago, but the OP postdata suggests its a new case. I should have checked more carefully.
I get periodic 404/403 outages on this site over several years, sometimes they last a while. Other people still have access fine. Either it is a) I get deliberately blocked by the site, or b) there's some sort of screw up with cookies because sometimes resetting all cookies fixes it, or c) for some reason the providers are either locked out, or are locking out the site.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

chrisw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 am

Is Talkchess down?

ah, right, ok, I thought this was referring to the NL outage of a few days ago, but the OP postdata suggests its a new case. I should have checked more carefully.
I get periodic 404/403 outages on this site over several years, sometimes they last a while. Other people still have access fine. Either it is a) I get deliberately blocked by the site, or b) there's some sort of screw up with cookies because sometimes resetting all cookies fixes it, or c) for some reason the providers are either locked out, or are locking out the site.
Well, it's an unsecure site to start with. I hope no "buddies" here or elsewhere meddle with our IPs while browsing or posting here. Maybe I will start accessing it only via VPN even if the problem is fixed. As you know, I can be very "weird" (you too :lol:) on CTF, and some may take it personally.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Laskos wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 am
chrisw wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:09 am

Is Talkchess down?

Well, it's an unsecure site to start with. I hope no "buddies" here or elsewhere meddle with our IPs while browsing or posting here. Maybe I will start accessing it only via VPN even if the problem is fixed. As you know, I can be very "weird" (you too :lol:) on CTF, and some may take it personally.
well, you probably remember the threat made to me some time ago on that front