Alpha subZero - NN for CPU

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Alpha subZero - NN for CPU

Post by dkappe »

Damir wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm Did you try and ask the author for a source in private mail in a polite way ?

If you openly ask about it and demanding the source released you won't get any I suppose... :) :)
Politeness isn’t at issue. He originally claimed it was based on sf/lc0. Now he claims it plays differently and is therefore his own private engine and not governed by the GPLv3.

So, which is it? If it is derived from GPL source code, then it’s GPL, no matter how it plays.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

When asking about something in anger you accomplish nothing, even if the person violated GPL license, best is to do it in polite way, and than hope for the best. :) :)
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Damir wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:39 pm When asking about something in anger you accomplish nothing, even if the person violated GPL license, best is to do it in polite way, and than hope for the best. :) :)
I’m not angry. I’m just making a request. If anything, I’m disappointed that I keep having to explain the GPL.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Damir

Post by Damir »

The author responded to me on chess2u website. This is what he wrote:

I would not like to publish the code because everything is a method of trials and plaids full of some function that was later thrown away and I would have to clean this code. It is too much time and I do not want to do it just to fulfill someone's wish
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Damir wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 pm The author responded to me on chess2u website. This is what he wrote:

I would not like to publish the code because everything is a method of trials and plaids full of some function that was later thrown away and I would have to clean this code. It is too much time and I do not want to do it just to fulfill someone's wish
It not a wish, it’s a request that he’s legally obligated to fulfill.

I guess I’m not surprised by his refusal. What I am surprised by is all the engine enthusiasts (especially the ones on the German forums) being so credulous.

If I ever have to build a botnet, I now know a good way to do it. :-)
Scacchista1977
Full name: Aleandro Rossi

Post by Scacchista1977 »

The author has been miserably unmasked in the chess2u forum, the story is over!
marsell

Post by marsell »

dkappe wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
As stated by the author, it’s based on stockfish and lc0 source.
He says it, you prove it, and you still complain. That's childish. cry baby, cry.
bmp1974
Full name: Prasanna Bandihole

Post by bmp1974 »

alpha subzerp 190.1 crushed Komodo 13.2.5 like a boss:
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

marsell wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 am
dkappe wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm
As stated by the author, it’s based on stockfish and lc0 source.
He says it, you prove it, and you still complain. That's childish. cry baby, cry.
I’m not complaining. I’m making a request for the source code per the terms of the GPLv3. Simple.
Damir

Post by Damir »

A user in German forum posted this link: https://github.com/ynasu87/nnue/tree/master/source