Schooner Version 2.2 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

D Sceviour

Schooner Version 2.2 Release

Post by D Sceviour »

Schooner 2.2

Schooner windows version 2.2 is now available. The executables are posted free for entertainment purposes, and to share with other chess programming enthusiasts.

New features include the FRC/960 chess variant. When using FRC chess, it is not necessary to include the command "fisherandom" in the sc.ini file. The internal FRC flags are set when the fen file is read into the engine. The GUI also sends the "fisherandom" command to inform the engine of FRC use. If you decide to include "fisherandom" in the sc.ini file for some reason, make sure it is turned off for standard chess or the castling modes might crash. Also, Schooner builds different internal piece-square tables for standard and FRC chess. The FRC tables are symmetrical and result in improved performance.

Polyglot FRC/960 fen files have two methods to describe castling. Arena uses the classical "KQkq" syntax. Also popular is the "ACac" or Shredder type syntax. Schooner will accept and parse both types of castling syntax.

Polyglot FRC/960 opening books are supported by Schooner. They are fully compatible with existing standard polyglot books. They follow the same initialization methods. In the sc.ini file, identify the path and book name. Then, make sure the Book 1 flag is set to indicate that opening books will be consulted. Turn off any books in the GUI or set them to engine default.

An FRCextras.zip file is available that will contain some FRC extras:

CCRL_404FRC2012.bin - a polyglot FRC opening book
FRC960_STRT.epd - a fen file containing all 960 starting positions,
polyglot14FRC - a modified version of polyglot (Linux only) for those who want to build their own polyglot FRC books.

Linux builds are included for both sse and generic versions. The new Linux beta versions are not fully tested. They tested successfully in a few CuteChess command line interface games. Notice that Linux builds are considerably larger than for Windows builds. Andreas Matthies attributted this to the Microsoft run time package msvcrt.dll allowing smaller Windows builds.

Syzygy end game table base is no longer supported. There was no practical use found for Syzygy. However, if anyone really misses these a special egtb build could be included.

Schooner is an XBOARD protocol engine. It is best to use Schooner in xboard mode. There is an "sc.ini" file included so all the parameters can be sent to the command line interface. Schooner has limited UCI capability and not all features will work in UCI mode.

Schooner2.2-sse.exe
Schooner2.2-generic.exe
Schooner2.2-linux-sse
Schooner2.2-linux-generic

- Winboard/Xboard compatible, CECP compliant
- limited UCI protocol
- 64 bit version
- SSE popcount support
- non-pop count generic available
- FRC/960 variant support
- default hash size 128 Mb - adjustable
- default pawn hash 30 Mb - adjustable
- threading allowed - max 128 threads
- pondering allowed, xboard only
- optional polyglot book - default "book.bin"
- optional polyglot FRC/960 book
- adjustable sc.ini file
- Linux executables included

Download here:

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/downloads
AdminX

Re: Schooner Version 2.2 Release

Post by AdminX »

Thank You! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks, I look forward to running it at chess960 :)

Which GUIs did you test it under for chess960 ? I will run it under Cutechess or ChessGUI.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:48 pm Thanks, I look forward to running it at chess960 :)

Which GUIs did you test it under for chess960 ? I will run it under Cutechess or ChessGUI.
FRC/960 has run successfully under Arena, Winboard, and Cutechess. ChessGUI was not tested, but it should work if it supports Fischer Random Chess.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Dennis. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Lars Sandin has brought to my attention that Schooner times out in Arena 1 minute - no increment blitz. The other GUI's and time controls seem to be okay for now.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

D Sceviour wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:23 am Lars Sandin has brought to my attention that Schooner times out in Arena 1 minute - no increment blitz. The other GUI's and time controls seem to be okay for now.
You mean Lars Hallestrom. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Graham Banks wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 am
D Sceviour wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:23 am Lars Sandin has brought to my attention that Schooner times out in Arena 1 minute - no increment blitz. The other GUI's and time controls seem to be okay for now.
You mean Lars Hallestrom. :)
Oops :oops:
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Nice! Any estimate of elo gain compared to 2.1?
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 am Nice! Any estimate of elo gain compared to 2.1?
I cannot help you on elo gain. My expectations are usually wrong. :)