AMD Ryzen R9 3950X new build

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: AMD Ryzen R9 3950X new build

Post by Dann Corbit »

zullil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:54 pm
Zenmastur wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 pm
zullil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:43 pm
shrapnel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Even 64 Cores Users on Playchess are unable to beat me in LTCs ...
I love seeing "me" in your post. :wink: Are you doing anything at all? I mean, you're running an engine written by others, using a NN trained by others, on hardware that most users simply can't afford. Are you at least supplying an opening book that you've crafted yourself?

(You can tell I really don't understand the thrill you seem to get from this activity.)
And what do you do with your dual xeon system pray tell?
Research in diagrammatic/combinatorial knot theory and related graph theory and linear algebra over Z/2Z. And an occasional chess analysis too. :D
There are lots of fun things you can do with a powerful PC.
I have done GIMPS search stuff, Protein folding and other things of that nature.
Why limit the fun to chess?

I also use it for database work. Might seem like overkill, but when you can run a test in 10% of the time, it is a big win.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Gino Figlio wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:31 am I forgot to post the link to the consumer affairs reviews:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/compute ... er_pc.html
Here are the Google reviews for the site:
https://www.google.com/shopping/ratings ... &v=4&hl=en
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

I love seeing "me" in your post. :wink: Are you doing anything at all? I mean, you're running an engine written by others, using a NN trained by others, on hardware that most users simply can't afford. Are you at least supplying an opening book that you've crafted yourself?

(You can tell I really don't understand the thrill you seem to get from this activity.)
Research in diagrammatic/combinatorial knot theory and related graph theory and linear algebra over Z/2Z. And an occasional chess analysis too. :D
Ok, I give up. What kind of knots are you working on and what application do they have?
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Dann Corbit wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:32 pm

There are lots of fun things you can do with a powerful PC.
I have done GIMPS search stuff, Protein folding and other things of that nature.
Why limit the fun to chess?

I also use it for database work. Might seem like overkill, but when you can run a test in 10% of the time, it is a big win.
I used to do factorization of various types of numbers and messed with speeding up different/less often used factoring methods and generating large primes. But I quite doing that about 20 years ago. It was fun for a few years, I had 6-7 machines that did nothing but factoring back when the 1 Ghz Athlon had just came out. I messed with putting the several hundred machines at my work to factoring but it became too much work to manage them and NOT interfere with "real" work. Haven't really messed with any of that since though.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Zenmastur wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Ok, I give up. What kind of knots are you working on and what application do they have?
Ahhh, I see practical applications in circuit diagrams. Is that true?
todd

Post by todd »

shrapnel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:40 pm Just buy a couple of top-of-the-line RTX Cards, like I did, pop them into their Slots and you're ready to Match upto the strongest of CPUs and AB Engines.
He said that he is trying to do analysis rather than play timed games against other engines.

For deep analysis aimed at getting as close as we currently can to chess truth, hardware needs are different.

Firstly, for analysis purposes, many will be fine with a single 2060 card, as even with that, for deep analysis of single positions, you will run yourself out of RAM with Lc0. You only need the extra speed if you have many positions to analyze (or perhaps if you are impatient).

Also, it is not sufficient to use only Lc0. For deep analysis you should be using (at least) both SF and Leela. If you only have seconds to produce a move (like you do when you play engine games online), then sure - you pick one engine and hope for the best. But when you have a lot of time, you are better served obtaining more than one opinion and doing manual exploration.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

Shrapnel,
What RAM do you use with your lc0 system?
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

zullil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:43 pmI love seeing "me" in your post. :wink: Are you doing anything at all? I mean, you're running an engine written by others, using a NN trained by others, on hardware that most users simply can't afford. Are you at least supplying an opening book that you've crafted yourself?

Actually, I don't give a flyin' f**k whether you understand the "thrill" I get or not.
I would like to assure you that I won't lose any sleep over whether you understand or not, but I'll try all the same. :)
Chess, as you perhaps know, has been likened to War ; and only a Fool goes to War without Weapons.
Think of it as armed Warriors fighting/sparring against each other.
You use your Brain ? So what ? Brain is just a Weapon as is the Chess Engine.
THAT's the Thrill I get.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

cma6 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 am Shrapnel,
What RAM do you use with your lc0 system?
Its given in my Signature.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

shrapnel wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 am
zullil wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:43 pmI love seeing "me" in your post. :wink: Are you doing anything at all? I mean, you're running an engine written by others, using a NN trained by others, on hardware that most users simply can't afford. Are you at least supplying an opening book that you've crafted yourself?

Actually, I don't give a flyin' f**k whether you understand the "thrill" I get or not.
I would like to assure you that I won't lose any sleep over whether you understand or not, but I'll try all the same. :)
Chess, as you perhaps know, has been likened to War ; and only a Fool goes to War without Weapons.
Think of it as armed Warriors fighting/sparring against each other.
You use your Brain ? So what ? Brain is just a Weapon as is the Chess Engine.
THAT's the Thrill I get.
Thanks, that's quite informative.