FAT fritz is not needed

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

FAT fritz is not needed

Post by mclane »

You can use LC0 without a buggy gui from chessbase.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Ovyron

Re: FAT fritz is not needed

Post by Ovyron »

That's like saying Komodo is not needed because we have Stockfish...
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

You can also use it (Fat Fritz) in another GUI if Chessbase is not your thing.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Ovyron »

AdminX wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm You can also use it (Fat Fritz) in another GUI if Chessbase is not your thing.
No, I cannot :) At least not on a GPU because I don't have CUDA and OpenCL doesn't work, and I already have weights optimized for CPU, so I didn't bother.

In their defense, I'm the only person around that I know that has a NVIDIA card but not CUDA, so I wouldn't expect them to make a special version just for my GPU...
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 pm
AdminX wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm You can also use it (Fat Fritz) in another GUI if Chessbase is not your thing.
No, I cannot :) At least not on a GPU because I don't have CUDA and OpenCL doesn't work, and I already have weights optimized for CPU, so I didn't bother.

In their defense, I'm the only person around that I know that has a NVIDIA card but not CUDA, so I wouldn't expect them to make a special version just for my GPU...
I’m pretty sure a Fat Fritz jr for CPU is on the way.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

dkappe wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:17 pmI’m pretty sure a Fat Fritz jr for CPU is on the way.
Slim Fritz?
Marek Soszynski
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Marek Soszynski wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 pm
dkappe wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:17 pmI’m pretty sure a Fat Fritz jr for CPU is on the way.
Slim Fritz?
That’s a German blues guitarist from Hannover.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

If it's an NN I really doubt it'll output more than 0 kn/s on my GPU (really, I don't even know if it's 0.1 n/s or 0.01 n/s...)
Jim Logan

Post by Jim Logan »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 pm

OpenCL does not work?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Jim Logan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:31 amOpenCL does not work?
No, from NVIDIA's page:
OpenCL™ (Open Computing Language) is a low-level API for heterogeneous computing that runs on CUDA-powered GPUs.
Basically, it requires CUDA, so OpenCL is of no use to me because if my NVIDIA GPU supported CUDA I'd use the CUDA version of Leela instead.

I bought my GPU (back in 2010) because I needed the S-VIDEO port to connect it to my CRT TV, and the next NVIDIA card didn't have it, but this one didn't have CUDA yet. Watching movies/Youtube on my TV was a must so I don't really regret the decision, but if they kept the S-VIDEO port I could have had the best of both worlds (they dropped S-VIDEO in favor of HDMI which... I don't have either.)