Komodo 13.2

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Komodo 13.2

Post by Jonathan003 »

In the newest update of Komodo engine it is possible to set a personality to human and to chose for white contempt on or of.

I like this new option. In chessbase 15 when I choose to add a kibitzer, I can go to advanced, and than Engine parameters where I can set these options. I can also save these options in some .cbparam file and load them next time.

I use Chess Position Trainer a lot lately. There is also an option to set a UCI engine for analysis. But I can't access the setting of Komodo in CPT for the personalty option Human, and to check white contempt.

Can I change the defaults and rename the engine to : 'Komodo 13.2 Human white contempt of' for example.

That would also be useful in chessbase 15. Than I don't have to change the setting each time. I just install two or three different Komodo 13.2 with different names and default settings.

I hope someone can help me with this.
DustyMonkey

Re: Komodo 13.2

Post by DustyMonkey »

Maybe you can get mark to add a command-line option for reading in initial uci parameters from a separate file.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Jonathan003 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:48 am In the newest update of Komodo engine it is possible to set a personality to human and to chose for white contempt on or of.

I like this new option. In chessbase 15 when I choose to add a kibitzer, I can go to advanced, and than Engine parameters where I can set these options. I can also save these options in some .cbparam file and load them next time.

I use Chess Position Trainer a lot lately. There is also an option to set a UCI engine for analysis. But I can't access the setting of Komodo in CPT for the personalty option Human, and to check white contempt.

Can I change the defaults and rename the engine to : 'Komodo 13.2 Human white contempt of' for example.

That would also be useful in chessbase 15. Than I don't have to change the setting each time. I just install two or three different Komodo 13.2 with different names and default settings.

I hope someone can help me with this.
In any Chessbase GUI (Fritz or Chessbase) you can change the parameters as you wish, then save them as a new engine name. It does require it start with the engine name but you can add to the end of it as you propose.

As for Contempt and Personalities, here is how it works. If you have "White Contempt" off and select any Personality other than Default, Komodo will use an internal value for Contempt which is preset, using it from Komodo's point of view. They vary depending on the Personality. But if "White Contempt" if checked (true), then no matter what Personality you select, it will use the value of Contempt you select, and apply it from White's point of view. This lets you override the internal Contempt, but you do need to keep the color Komodo will play in mind. If you want a positive Contempt and Komodo is playing White, then use a positive number for Contempt. If Komodo is playing black and you still want it to have a positive contmpt from its point of view to avoid draws and exchanges, etc, use a negative number.

I hope that was not too complex! Basicall White Contempt lets you override and do what you want.

Mark
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

Thanks for the explanation Mark.

That still doesn't help me if I want to use Komodo 13.2 with the human personality from with in Chess Position Trainer.
I think I will let the contempt setting to it's default settings.

I find it remarkable that if I run infinite analysis with Komodo 13.2 human personality from the starting position.

The engine gives a score of 1.24
Than if I play 1. e4 or 1. d4, the sore drops to -0.46
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Jonathan003 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:03 pm Thanks for the explanation Mark.

That still doesn't help me if I want to use Komodo 13.2 with the human personality from with in Chess Position Trainer.

I find it remarkable that if I run infinite analysis with Komodo 13.2 human personality from the starting position.

The engine gives a score of 1.24
Than if I play 1. e4 or 1. d4, the sore drops to -0.46
Amusing...and amazing that there are people who really still seem to use engines so early and take the output as gospel. Not you (don't know) but boy, they are out there!
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

No I'm not one of these people :)

There is the same behavior later in a game, also in the late middle game. Komodo with the human personality seems to be very optimistic for the side ho has to play.
DustyMonkey

Post by DustyMonkey »

Thinking about this....

It shouldnt be hard to write a UCI stubber that emits uci parameters, from a file given on the command line, right after it hands off the "uci" or right before it hands off the "isready" command.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Jonathan003 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:03 pm Thanks for the explanation Mark.

Actually, I was thinking about this and I can't understand why you might want to use the human personalities in CPT. I mean, if you could use Komodo with MCTS turned on, 3 or 4 lines being looked at, you would see what good options are...and where your opponent might have to walk a fine line.

Perhaps you use CPT differently than I do. I use it to store opening repertoires for OTB play.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Jonathan003 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:36 pm There is the same behavior later in a game, also in the late middle game. Komodo with the human personality seems to be very optimistic for the side ho has to play.
This is what happens with Contempt. For Komodo's analysis, it is recommended that you create one instance or White, and one instance for Black, and that you don't let them analyze the wrong side of the board. Then you will be able to use new entities to suggest moves and lines.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

But, does the contempt setting work with Komodo MCTS or is contempt sort of built-in with MCTS?