World Fischer Random Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

duncan

Re: World Fischer Random Championship

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:55 pm It seems to me that Fischer Random is working out better than I expected; I thought it would solve only the preparation problem in chess, but it seems to be doing wonders for the draw rate as well, as has already been shown in computer chess in the CCRL testing.
Do you have any thoughts on why Fischer Random should reduce the draw rate. Is it because without the 100 year background of opening moves research, moves are objectively worse leading to many more errors in the opening?
jp

Post by jp »

duncan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:54 pm
lkaufman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Do you have any thoughts on why Fischer Random should reduce the draw rate. Is it because without the 100 year background of opening moves research, moves are objectively worse leading to many more errors in the opening?
For sure. Opening theory is a crutch, so without it even superGMs can be busted in 13 moves.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

lkaufman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:55 pm It seems to me that Fischer Random is working out better than I expected; I thought it would solve only the preparation problem in chess, but it seems to be doing wonders for the draw rate as well, as has already been shown in computer chess in the CCRL testing.
Yes, that's right. The more moves players have to make on their own, without the benefit of knowing what others have played or what computers recommend, the more chances for mistakes, and since chess (both standard and frc) is almost certainly drawn without mistakes the more chance for error, the more chance for a decisive result.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Also more chances for tactical human monster that calculate like computer engines do in less than 3 seconds, simply take a look at this Blitz game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQfZ_aSbiVg

You can watch it tomorrow here https://www.frchess.com/
Last edited by Chessqueen on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

lkaufman wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:48 pm
Ovyron wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm So, if after rolling one of the 960 positions you get the opening one from chess, do people just sit and play a normal game?

If not, perhaps the best name for the game would be Fischer 959 :mrgreen:
Yes, the rules say that you just play normal chess in that case, although I think that some frc events have added the rule to disallow normal chess, so they are playing chess 959, not 960.
What about the mirror position. RNBKQBNR. Will FRC events accept that position?

[d]rnbkqbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBKQBNR w KQkq -
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Nordlandia wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm
Ovyron wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm So, if after rolling one of the 960 positions you get the opening one from chess, do people just sit and play a normal game?

Yes, the rules say that you just play normal chess in that case, although I think that some frc events have added the rule to disallow normal chess, so they are playing chess 959, not 960.
By the way you got the Queen and King in the wrong squares :roll:

I forgot what this normal position or standard position is in Chess 960, I believe it is position number #518, but it used to be one of the 960 positions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dbAHd5Yd5k
Last edited by Chessqueen on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

The question is whether #518 is too similar to standard position that it will not qualify as valid FRC position. For instance in the ongoing event in my country now. Maybe or maybe not.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Nordlandia wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:29 pm The question is whether #518 is too similar to standard position that it will not qualify as valid FRC position. For instance in the ongoing event in my country now. Maybe or maybe not.
You posted the Queen and the King in the wrong squares in your diagram, Therefore, the answer in NO :roll:

I forgot what this normal position or standard position is in Chess 960, I believe it is position number #518, but it used to be one of the 960 positions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dbAHd5Yd5k
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

But why is it wrong? Looks like that's a perfectly playable position, which shows FischerRandom could be expanded and not be limited by symmetrical positions.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Nordlandia wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Sorry but the position you posted is #534 in Chess960, which is NOT exactly the standard or normal position # 518 in Normal Chess :shock:
https://www.chess.com/blog/friscodelros ... sition-534

Our Normal chess is position #518 in Chess960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dbAHd5Yd5k