google quantum computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: google quantum computer

Post by shrapnel »

(Without quoting anyone) it never ceases to amaze me how many ol'-stick-in-the-muds with closed minds there are, that too in a COMPUTER Chess Forum !
When Charles Babbage invented the first computer in the early 19th Century, I'm sure the Ancestors of most Englishmen here shook their Heads wisely and told each that it was just a load of Rubbish ! :)
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

shrapnel wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 am (Without quoting anyone) it never ceases to amaze me how many ol'-stick-in-the-muds with closed minds there are, that too in a COMPUTER Chess Forum !
When Charles Babbage invented the first computer in the early 19th Century, I'm sure the Ancestors of most Englishmen here shook their Heads wisely and told each that it was just a load of Rubbish ! :)
Are you implying that anyone that doesn't share your opinion of GOOGLE's PR stunts is somehow deficient in their ability to reason about quantum computing?

I wonder how many “great” inventions (as touted by their inventors) turned out to be total rubbish. I suspect the number is uncountable. Few can name even one of the many, many worthless idea's (or claims as in this case) because they rarely gain any notoriety. But there are surly orders of magnitude more claims that have turned out to be, but wasted breath, than those that were actual useful much less revolutionary.

Needless to say I'm not impressed nor swayed by your weak example and ad hominem attacks on unnamed persons.

So far, you haven't made a “real” argument. If you want to take a stab at it, be my guest.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
jp

Post by jp »

dragontamer5788 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:00 pm
towforce wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm Unfortunately, chess is MUCH too big a problem to model on today's quantum computers.
Step #1 is to create a quantum chess algorithm.
See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71167

My comments there are still true of course.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 amAre you implying that anyone that doesn't share your opinion of GOOGLE's PR stunts is somehow deficient in their ability to reason about quantum computing?

Granted, there are people around making false claims. It seems unlikely to me that Google would make a press release claiming quantum speedup if they hadn't actually done it, though.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 amI wonder how many “great” inventions (as touted by their inventors) turned out to be total rubbish. I suspect the number is uncountable. Few can name
I rest my Case, and FYI Google isn't just any Inventor.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

towforce wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am
Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 amAre you implying that anyone that doesn't share your opinion of GOOGLE's PR stunts is somehow deficient in their ability to reason about quantum computing?

Granted, there are people around making false claims. It seems unlikely to me that Google would make a press release claiming quantum speedup if they hadn't actually done it, though.
I think it's the magnitude of the "claim" that is in question.
Unsurprisingly, IBM, the company that operates the supercomputer that Google claims to have beaten, and a key quantum computer competitor, is disputing Google’s claims. In a blog post published pre-emptively on Monday, the company said that the same task could be performed on a classical system in just 2.5 days, rather than the 10,000 years that Google is claiming. IBM says that Google “failed to fully account for plentiful disk storage” when estimating how long its traditional supercomputer would take to perform the calculation.
The dispute about the claim seems to be about more than a 6-orders of magnitude difference between what Google is claiming and what IBM is claiming. Not exactly a small discrepancy! Since the paper has just become available for scrutiny I don't think it's prudent to base your opinion on a disputed and unsubstantiated claim regardless of who is making it. After all, IBM is a well respected company and “should" know the capabilities of a machine they built! I.E. How likely is it that IBM is lying vice Google puffing up their accomplishments (i.e lying) to be greater than what they actually are.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

shrapnel wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm
Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 amI wonder how many “great” inventions (as touted by their inventors) turned out to be total rubbish. I suspect the number is uncountable. Few can name
I rest my Case, and FYI Google isn't just any Inventor.
You don't have a case to rest!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 pmAfter all, IBM is a well respected company and “should" know the capabilities of a machine they built!
I'm sure there were plenty of "well-respected" Englishmen too, who disparaged Charles Babbages invention and mocked him !
towforce

Post by towforce »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 pmI think it's the magnitude of the "claim" that is in question.

The underlying problem is that the thing being measured is not constant: if you hate quantum supremacy, you can build a faster computer or work relentlessly on the puzzle algorithm. Whose idea was this silly definition of quantum supremacy?
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Zenmastur wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 am
shrapnel wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 am (Without quoting anyone) it never ceases to amaze me how many ol'-stick-in-the-muds with closed minds there are, that too in a COMPUTER Chess Forum !
Are you implying that anyone that doesn't share your opinion of GOOGLE's PR stunts is somehow deficient in their ability to reason about quantum computing?

I wonder how many “great” inventions (as touted by their inventors) turned out to be total rubbish. I suspect the number is uncountable. Few can name even one of the many, many worthless idea's (or claims as in this case) because they rarely gain any notoriety. But there are surly orders of magnitude more claims that have turned out to be, but wasted breath, than those that were actual useful much less revolutionary.

Needless to say I'm not impressed nor swayed by your weak example and ad hominem attacks on unnamed persons.

So far, you haven't made a “real” argument. If you want to take a stab at it, be my guest.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Everyone stop the presses. Google has an announcement to make.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.