New engine: Mora

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gonzaloarro
Full name: Gonzalo Arro

Re: New engine: Mora

Post by gonzaloarro »

the_real_greco wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am
gonzaloarro wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:39 am
"MORA" doesn't actually stand for anything, it is just the name of my cat who was happen to be at my desk when I started to code, so I decided to name the engine in her honor haha.
Does anyone else find this explanation sort of... regressive?
I'm not sure I follow. What's wrong with naming my engine the same as my pet? Or maybe regressive doesn't mean what I think it does, english it is not my native tongue.

I just mentioned that like a funny comment because MORA is a short word so maybe someone could think is some kind of acronym.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

gonzaloarro wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:02 pm
"MORA" doesn't actually stand for anything, it is just the name of my cat who was happen to be at my desk when I started to code, so I decided to name the engine in her honor haha.
I'm not sure I follow. What's wrong with naming my engine the same as my pet? Or maybe regressive doesn't mean what I think it does, english it is not my native tongue.

I just mentioned that like a funny comment because MORA is a short word so maybe someone could think is some kind of acronym.
Forget him, he only made exactly one post in this forum - my trollometer is beyond 99.9 for him.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

gonzaloarro wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:02 pm I just mentioned that like a funny comment because MORA is a short word so maybe someone could think is some kind of acronym.
I did think it was an acronym until you revealed that it was the name of your cat. Maybe using capital letters caused that impression.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

Guenther wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Forget him, he only made exactly one post in this forum - my trollometer is beyond 99.9 for him.
Oh, I do my share of lurking.

What I mean by regressive is, you answer the question "What is the meaning of the name Mora?" with the answer, "It's the name of my cat." Which only pushes the question back to why you named the cat Mora, rather than actually answering.

Sorry if "regressive" comes with a negative connotation, but I meant in the technical sense. Always love seeing a new engine.
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

Greco is a great guy, he runs the CCC (chess.com/ccc) now and sometimes is a bit funny, i don't think he would have meant anything bad intentionally
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

the_real_greco wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Guenther wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Oh, I do my share of lurking.

What I mean by regressive is, you answer the question "What is the meaning of the name Mora?" with the answer, "It's the name of my cat." Which only pushes the question back to why you named the cat Mora, rather than actually answering.

Sorry if "regressive" comes with a negative connotation, but I meant in the technical sense. Always love seeing a new engine.
Stockfish is named after a fish product. But why do we call fish fish? Hmmm....