Chest for Linux

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Canoike

Chest for Linux

Post by Canoike »

Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.
Look
Full name: Mehdi Amini

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Look »

I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.
Farewell.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Canoike wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.
There's ChestUCI_V52 at https://fhub.jimdo.com/, but I believe the source code is private and only Windows executables are provided. I suppose you could try running it under Wine on Linux.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Look wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 pm I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.
xboard works very well on Linux, of course
Martin Sedlak
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

mar wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 pm
Look wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 pm I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.
xboard works very well on Linux, of course
As does Cute Chess, as far as I can tell.
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

zullil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 pm
Canoike wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Hello,

Thank you.
There's ChestUCI_V52 at https://fhub.jimdo.com/, but I believe the source code is private and only Windows executables are provided. I suppose you could try running it under Wine on Linux.
Thanks zullil. I had already found this link you mention. Wine is evil ;) As I have a multi boot PC, I largely prefer using linux to "feel the power" of my softwares. Well, I'll do with it.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Arena runs on Linux
Shredder GUI runs on Linux
I guess that there are a lot more besides those already mentioned
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Look

Post by Look »

Dann Corbit wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 am Arena runs on Linux
Shredder GUI runs on Linux
I guess that there are a lot more besides those already mentioned
There could be many. But I tried Arena GUI in windows and it has some delay and other problems. Shredder GUI is old. And so on. What GUI I want on linux ? A GUI with many features like ChessBase GUI in windows with :
  • Mega Database.
  • Fast And responsive.
  • Ability to install any UCI engine.
  • Powerful game search.
  • Annotated games.
  • Opening books.
  • Many types of board and pieces displayed.
  • And so on.
Farewell.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, XBoard does most of that. Except the mega database; the database and game search functions would get a bit slow above 40k games. To handle larger databases there is SCID.
Look

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm Well, XBoard does most of that. Except the mega database; the database and game search functions would get a bit slow above 40k games. To handle larger databases there is SCID.
As a training tool I would add :
  • Advanced replay training. Like that featured in ChessBase 15 and even better.
Farewell.