Syzygy 7 man advice please

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BigBazza
Full name: Barry Clements

Syzygy 7 man advice please

Post by BigBazza »

hello everyone, I have installed 2 * 10TB BarraCuda Pro 7200rpm HDD in raid 0 config giving sufficient space for the whole 7man Syzygy files, however, I am sure I read somewhere once that even the 6 man really needs to be on SSD. I do have the 6man on an 1tb M.2 PCIE. Am I slowing the engines down by using SATA drives for the 7 man? I do have sufficient space for 4*2tb SSD (the 4tb are out of my budget for this). would there be any advantage to splitting the DTZ and WDL files? would one set perform better on SSD or do both need to be. I would really appreciate any advice and tips you could give me please?
not sure if this would influence the advice but PC spec is as follows

Intel i9-9900K 8 core, 16 thread clocked at 4.7Ghz
32Gig 3600Mhz Memory
RTX 2080ti
2*1TB M.2 PCIE
2*10TB SATA HDD

Many thanks in advance
Barry
konsolas
Full name: Vincent

Re: Syzygy 7 man advice please

Post by konsolas »

Only the WDL files are used during search, so those are the performance critical ones. You can keep the DTZ files on a hard drive because they're typically only probed once per search, and therefore have no need of being on an SSD.

It might also be worth considering the possibility of only downloading the more important 7-piece tablebases, such as KRPPvKRP and KPPPvKPP, given that the overall gain from syzygy 7 man is only likely to be around 10-20 elo at most.
BigBazza
Full name: Barry Clements

Re: Syzygy 7 man advice please

Post by BigBazza »

many thanks for your advice, I will give it a go