deepdebt

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

deepdebt

Post by smcracraft »

Daniel Shawul

Re: deepdebt

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Is that your smp engine now :)

Personally i don't care how much they spend - that is for investors in silcon valley to worry about - as long as they take us
one step closer to general AI. Ok the company is betting on reinforcement learning but other research instititures (univ.) could
explore the other avenues that could get us there.
grahamj
Full name: Graham Jones

Post by grahamj »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 am Ok the company is betting on reinforcement learning but other research instititures (univ.) could
explore the other avenues that could get us there.
But as the author says "Every dollar invested in reinforcement learning is a dollar not invested somewhere else..." I watched neural nets being massively overhyped around 1985-1995, squeezing out other research. Deep yawn.
Graham Jones, www.indriid.com
Henk

Post by Henk »

One should have created a money machine first before spending dollars on research.
Otherwise it won't work.

Money machine can be taxes or a software program with many users paying for their licenses each year.

People with great ideas should keep them secret. That will learn that research is not for free while people wondering nothing good has been invented last ten years.

Wait for a software program with many users you need research too. So taxes is only solution.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Henk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:00 pm One should have created a money machine first before spending dollars on research.
Otherwise it won't work.

Money machine can be taxes or a software program with many users paying for their licenses each year.

People with great ideas should keep them secret. That will learn that research is not for free and people wondering nothing good has been invented last ten years.
Henk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:00 pm One should have created a money machine first before spending dollars on research.
Otherwise it won't work.

People with great ideas should keep them secret. That will learn that research is not for free and people wondering nothing good has been invented last ten years.
Years ago there was this thing called the ACM. I was even a member. People would share their good ideas and computer science advanced like a rocket ship.

There is more to life than money. Probably sounds like a joke to most people but fact is.money and happiness are not even connected the way people think. I have lots of money in my bank, but in reality it.means nothing compared to relationships and caring for.others. I am an old guy who has been around the block. Sharing is better than hoarding. And if you hoard something it will be surpassed anyway. We.marvel at and respect the givers like Bojun and Tord. What will your legacy be? That is the measure of a.man.

IMO YMMV
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Dead people don't speak so you can't measure their happiness.

No money means death.
smcracraft
Full name: Stuart Cracraft

Post by smcracraft »

I wrote GNU Chess version 1 to force further sharing and ensure GNU and RMS had a mascot, kind of like dog or something at a football game.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

smcracraft wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:37 pm I wrote GNU Chess version 1 to force further sharing and ensure GNU and RMS had a mascot, kind of like dog or something at a football game.
And we owe you a debt of gratitude for having done so, thanks!
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Otherwise it won't work.
So that's what Google did.