Scorpio 3.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Scorpio 3.0

Post by Modern Times »

I seem to have this working as well ! The GTX1050 does not support HALF but it does support INT8. The nps is 4.3 times the FLOAT number with INT8, and the nneps figures 3.8 times. A very good speedup !
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Before I set the egbb path, Scorpio showed Egbb Probe 4.3 - and of course did not find any. After I set the path, it now displays Egbb Probe 4.1 and shows 180 loaded. Do I have an old version of the egbbs ?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Thanks for the confirmation!

Do not change the egbb_path to the old version (i.e. 4.1). The name is confusing now because egbbdll supports both neural network and egbb probing now. Leave the path as before (i.e.with the eural network working ) but copy only the egbb files and paste them in the nn-probe-windows-gpu directory where the dlls are located. Be careful not to overwrite egbbdll with the older version i.e. 4.1, otherwise it will not be able to probe neural networks.
With version 4.3 you should be able to use neural networks and probe egbbs as well, but the egbbfiles have to be moved to where the NN dlls are.

I will add this note to the installation document.

regards,
Daniel
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 pm
ChickenLogic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:32 pm Hi,

I really appreciate your work! I'd need some help to get it running though.
I do have a 980TI so I'll have to use FLOAT but that's ok. When trying to run Scorpio I get this:
2019-08-17 17_27_40-C__WINDOWS_system32_cmd.exe.png

On my system I've got Cuda 10 installed so I don't need the same dlls for Allie and Lc0 etc.
To install Scorpio I just used the .bat file.
Hi,

Scorpio comes with the versions of cuda, tensorrt, cudnn that it needs so it doesn't use the system installed ones.
I suspect the problem could be due to a mixup of dlls (you probably have the cuda path in your Path environement variable) and
scorpio.bat also sets the cuda path to its own local directory, so that could cause a problem...

Could you try editing the scropio.bat file as follow

Code: Select all

set PATH=%PATH%;%LN%
to

set PATH=%LN%;%PATH%
That is put the system path after the local path. Let me know if that works so that I can update the file.

Btw, most nvidia GPUs that don't support FP16 actually support INT8 so you might get a 4x speedup by using that than FLOAT.

Edit Unfortunately the gtx 980 ti does not seem to support INT8 but >= 10xx series should.

Thanks
Daniel
Sadly

set PATH=%LN%;%PATH%
doesn't work either. It doesn't even give the linking error. It just quits. I do have a 1050TI in a different system that I don't use at the moment. Should I use it over the 980TI?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Yes definitely go for the 1050 Ti as you will be able to use INT8 and quadruple your nps.

You may want to try removing the cuda/cudnn path from the Path environement variable temporarily to see
if it will work. That way there will not be conflicts with system installed library and should work.
cudNN 7.5.0 comes with scorpio but it is trying to use 7.4.1 which i believe is installed on your system, so we
have to prevent it from finding the system cudnn and cuda.

Anyway, I have modified it such that the local directory is checked before the system directory as that makes more sense.

Daniel
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:45 pm Thanks for the confirmation!

Do not change the egbb_path to the old version (i.e. 4.1). The name is confusing now because egbbdll supports both neural network and egbb probing now. Leave the path as before (i.e.with the eural network working ) but copy only the egbb files and paste them in the nn-probe-windows-gpu directory where the dlls are located. Be careful not to overwrite egbbdll with the older version i.e. 4.1, otherwise it will not be able to probe neural networks.
With version 4.3 you should be able to use neural networks and probe egbbs as well, but the egbbfiles have to be moved to where the NN dlls are.

I will add this note to the installation document.

regards,
Daniel
Perfect, now shows 4.3 again with 180 bases loaded.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am
3) Install scorpio-uci.bat in Arena or other GUI
At the moment, my RTX-Notebook is busy with the testrun of Net 11260. But, when it is finished (Tuesday), I will try to get Scorpio 3 running...
What I can say now is: In the LittleBlitzerGUI, it is possible, to use a .bat-file as engine-file. So, this should work for me. BUT: In the FritzGUI, a .bat-file is not accepted as an engine-file! So all Fritz- or ChessBase-users cant use that method.
And, by thee way, I dont understand, why any chessengine is still using winboard instead of the uci-protocol, which is running in all popular GUIs (and winboard does not)...

Regards - Stefan
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I didn't realise you had to use the .bat file in engine matches. I'll see if Cutechess supports that. It won't play any moves with just the exe itself.

EDIT: Doesn't work with the .bat file either under Cutechess, but I don't have a great deal of experience with that GUI so perhaps I'm missing something.
ChickenLogic
Full name: kek w

Post by ChickenLogic »

I got it working now. However, now that I activated the 1050TI I have two GPUs in one system. Is there a way to configure Scorpio to only use GPU1 without GPU0? Or can I use both and set a different precision for each GPU?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Modern Times wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 am I didn't realise you had to use the .bat file in engine matches. I'll see if Cutechess supports that. It won't play any moves with just the exe itself.

EDIT: Doesn't work with the .bat file either under Cutechess, but I don't have a great deal of experience with that GUI so perhaps I'm missing something.
If you were able to run it on the command line, it should work in cutechess-cli/xboard/arena. If it helps, I install it in cutechess-cli like this on linux

{
        "name": "scorpio",
        "command": "/home/daniel/Scorpio/bin/scorpio.sh",
        "workingDirectory": "/home/daniel/Scorpio/bin",
        "protocol": "xboard"
    },
TCEC actually runs with the batch file on their windows GPU machine, so it is proof that the batch file works.

Daniel