Python Easy Chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Python Easy Chess GUI

Post by Ferdy »

First release can be downloaded at https://github.com/fsmosca/Python-Easy- ... I/releases

AdminX

Re: Python Easy Chess GUI

Post by AdminX »

Thanks, will take a look. Something new is allways welcome. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Beautiful. I like very much the design.

After some user actions, a black window appears. It's (I imagine) when a script is started. Isn't there a way to hide these black windows? If it isn't possible I can live with it. :)

Good continuation! I will follow this project with interest.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Thanks Ferdy. Are you planning to accept feature requests? I find incredible that in this day and age I still have to run 6 different chess GUIs at the same time to do what I do, so my dream has been for a GUI that could do it all, but I don't know if that's Python Easy Chess GUI's direction.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Roland Chastain wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 am Beautiful. I like very much the design.

After some user actions, a black window appears. It's (I imagine) when a script is started. Isn't there a way to hide these black windows? If it isn't possible I can live with it. :)

Good continuation! I will follow this project with interest.
Could you post an image about this "black windows"? Did you use the exe or the py file? I built the exe using pyinstaller.

It is fun learning to program this gui, it becomes easier when the libraries like PySimpleGUI and Python-Chess are available.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

Ferdy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 pm First release can be downloaded at https://github.com/fsmosca/Python-Easy- ... I/releases

Terrific work. Would it be possible to save engine analysis as a tree or in polyglot format a la IDEA in chess aquarium?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 am Thanks Ferdy. Are you planning to accept feature requests? I find incredible that in this day and age I still have to run 6 different chess GUIs at the same time to do what I do, so my dream has been for a GUI that could do it all, but I don't know if that's Python Easy Chess GUI's direction.
Feature requests are welcome, but no guarantees that it will be implemented. This GUI is dependent on PythonSimpleGUI and Python-chess libraries. I have a little knowledge on Python-Chess but I am beginner on PySimpleGUI (but learning is fun). My initial plan are features that could be useful for a chess player, can consult opening books, can consult chess engine analysis etc.

I put up a project to manage issues at https://github.com/fsmosca/Python-Easy- ... projects/1, I may add your feature requests in the issue and add the issue in the project. There are already featues that I plan to implement you can find it here too.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

giovanni wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:18 am Terrific work. Would it be possible to save engine analysis as a tree or in polyglot format a la IDEA in chess aquarium?
Could you describe what is this engine analysis that will be saved in a tree?
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Ferdy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 amCould you post an image about this "black windows"? Did you use the exe or the py file? I built the exe using pyinstaller.
It's the standard Windows console, or if you prefer the command prompt. I cannot take a screenshot because it just appears during a fraction of second. Probably it is the console of the Python interpreter. I used the exe.

But, as I said, it can stay like that. It's just a detail, because I was looking for something to say. :)
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

Ferdy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am
giovanni wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:18 am Terrific work. Would it be possible to save engine analysis as a tree or in polyglot format a la IDEA in chess aquarium?
Could you describe what is this engine analysis that will be saved in a tree?
Thanks for your answer, Ferdy. IDEA is probably the state-of-the-art tool for interactive position analysis. Respect to
infinite anaysis, its GUI allows the user to interact with the engine, driving the search along the most promising paths. The mini-maximized search tree is then saved to disk for later use, without losing what has been already calculated when the GUI is restarted.
Its description can be fund here:
https://chessok.com/?p=24457

Please note that there has been already a very interesting attempt to develop a free alternative IDEA version, but its use is so far limited to a web interface and just to a few engines. Also communication with the engine can be a little tricky to setup. The work is by Mike Rohleder and can be found here:

https://www.rohleder.de/~mike/schach/freeaquarium/