WCCC vs TCEC Chess Engine Competitions..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: WCCC vs TCEC Chess Engine Competitions..

Post by mjlef »

Rebel wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:19 am
bob wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 am
Rebel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:43 am
bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 amWay past time to get off the old anti-ACM bandwagon,
Way past time to get off the old ICGA bandwagon also unless they reinvent themselves.
Pretty sad comment. The main thrust of the ICCA (then ICGA) was to foster interest in computer chess. They STILL provide that service via the annual mind games conference and ICGA Journal. The glory days of the WCCC are gone. It was a 1970's model of competition that failed to keep up with advances in technology, particularly networking. We would not be where we are today without them however, that is for certain.

The ICGA is now an outdated thing, just like printed newspapers, paperback books, etc. I buy all my books through Amazon for my kindle. NO trips needed to a book store. I get my news online, not from a daily piece of paper. Etc. Times change. Had absolutely nothing to do with Rybka and such.
When was the last time the WCCC took place in the US?
It has only been in the USA one time, New York, in 1983. This has a list including locations:

https://www.chessprogramming.org/World_ ... ampionship
bob

Post by bob »

bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 amWay past time to get off the old anti-ACM bandwagon,
Way past time to get off the old ICGA bandwagon also unless they reinvent themselves.
Pretty sad comment. The main thrust of the ICCA (then ICGA) was to foster interest in computer chess. They STILL provide that service via the annual mind games conference and ICGA Journal. The glory days of the WCCC are gone. It was a 1970's model of competition that failed to keep up with advances in technology, particularly networking. We would not be where we are today without them however, that is for certain.

The ICGA is now an outdated thing, just like printed newspapers, paperback books, etc. I buy all my books through Amazon for my kindle. NO trips needed to a book store. I get my news online, not from a daily piece of paper. Etc. Times change. Had absolutely nothing to do with Rybka and such.
I don't remember any after 1983 in New York City. 1986 was in Cologne. 1989 was in Alberta Canada. Then pretty much Europe after that.

I should add that the annual ACM events went on strongly through 1994. ALL held in the US of course at the annual ACM conference for the most part.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 am

I don't remember any after 1983 in New York City. 1986 was in Cologne. 1989 was in Alberta Canada. Then pretty much Europe after that.
Why is (was) it so hard to find a US sponsor? Notable in the land of Kasparov - Deep Blue.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Rebel wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:36 am
bob wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 am

Why is (was) it so hard to find a US sponsor? Notable in the land of Kasparov - Deep Blue.
Do US corporate sponsors perform Due Diligence checks on the organisers?