Question for Nelson Hernandez - TCEC power consumption

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

modolief

Question for Nelson Hernandez - TCEC power consumption

Post by modolief »

Question: What is the precise power draw from the A/B machine and the NN machine in the current TCEC 15 Superfinal? We can calculate this value based on hardware specs, but I want to know based on actual measurements, such as with a Kill-A-Watt or similar. Even better, I'd like to see a power use graph during a game, as we used to see with NPS and EGTB hits. Maybe not during the live display, but some discussion in the TCEC 15 summary document would be nice -- I read through the PDF for TCEC 14 and didn't see any coverage of this.

Related Question: When running two machines, how do they communicate their moves? I haven't seen this documented either.
Nelson Hernandez

Re: Question for Nelson Hernandez - TCEC power consumption

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Sorry, I am completely uninvolved in the hardware side of things with respect to TCEC.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

modolief wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 pm Question: What is the precise power draw from the A/B machine and the NN machine in the current TCEC 15 Superfinal? We can calculate this value based on hardware specs, but I want to know based on actual measurements, such as with a Kill-A-Watt or similar. Even better, I'd like to see a power use graph during a game, as we used to see with NPS and EGTB hits. Maybe not during the live display, but some discussion in the TCEC 15 summary document would be nice -- I read through the PDF for TCEC 14 and didn't see any coverage of this.

Related Question: When running two machines, how do they communicate their moves? I haven't seen this documented either.
While my home configuration is not identical to the TCEC setup, nor is it terribly different, so perhaps I can shed a bit of light on this. My home system has a 16-core Threadripper coupled with a couple of SSDs and a 2080 + 2080ti, which are the same GPUs used in the TCEC SuFi. Even with some mild overclocking, which I do not know if TCEC has, my power draw at load (both GPUs at 95%+) is under 650W. Mind you, the CPU is under 20% since there is no way to really get more when running Lc0. Hope that helps.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
modolief

Post by modolief »

Seriously, I've been trying to get an answer on this question for close to a year now. Somebody must have some kind of measurement of this thing. Anyone? TCEC, two machines, 1) CPU-centric, 2) GPU-centric. What is the electricity draw of machine 1, machine 2?
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

modolief wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am Seriously, I've been trying to get an answer on this question for close to a year now. Somebody must have some kind of measurement of this thing. Anyone? TCEC, two machines, 1) CPU-centric, 2) GPU-centric. What is the electricity draw of machine 1, machine 2?
Thats an excellent question...But why do I believe no answer will be forthcoming? Question..questions and more questions..
:D :) :wink: 8-)
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

modolief wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am Seriously, I've been trying to get an answer on this question for close to a year now. Somebody must have some kind of measurement of this thing. Anyone? TCEC, two machines, 1) CPU-centric, 2) GPU-centric. What is the electricity draw of machine 1, machine 2?
If you don't mind a guesstimate, PSU is at some 500W 1) and 600W 2). Just a rough guess.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 am
Thats an excellent question...But why do I believe no answer will be forthcoming? Question..questions and more questions..
:D :) :wink: 8-)
you-ask-too-many-question-go-t (1).jpg
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

When they start up the chess server, the lights dim in Los Angeles. And they're not even running in that city.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

GPU-Z will graph you power draw, usage, fan speed and so on for GPU and CPU in realtime
modolief

Post by modolief »

Sigh. Ok, well thanks for trying.