How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Raphexon
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Raphexon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 pm

I've downloaded "Stockfish for Android" https://stockfishchess.org/download/ on the official site thinking as it's compiled for arm it would work on Armbian on the raspberry pi 3B but it seems like it doesn't.
I've used the armv7 compile, then the armv8 compile when v7 didn't work and now I'm out of ideas.

Or would I have to follow a tutorial and compile it myself?
The default engine that came with Arena 1.1 (for ARM) does work, although I can't change its settings.

Raphexon
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Raphexon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:43 pm

I've tried sudo chmod +x "stockfish" but it hasn't changed anything.
The engine that came with Arena 1.1 for arm works fine.

Stockfish isn't recognized as anything and installing in Arena doesn't change anything. Dragging it in Arena doesn't make it work either.

User avatar
Scally
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Bermondsey, London
Full name: Alan Cooper
Contact:

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Scally » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi,
You can download the official Stockfish 10 source code at: https://stockfishchess.org/files/stockfish-10-src.zip
..or clone the source code of the latest Dev version via:
sudo git clone https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish

Then in either case type: cd Stockfish/src and compile it yourself via: sudo make -j4 profile-build ARCH=armv7

This compiles a binary called stockfish which runs on my Raspberry Pi 3b+ on Raspbian Stretch and my Asus Tinkerboard on Debian Stretch. This should also work on your system.


Cheers,

Al.
Alan Cooper
My Chess Computers

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Nordlandia » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm

What kind of speed is Raspberry Pi capable of?

Kilo nodes per second.

Raphexon
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Raphexon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Scally wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Hi,
You can download the official Stockfish 10 source code at: https://stockfishchess.org/files/stockfish-10-src.zip
..or clone the source code of the latest Dev version via:
sudo git clone https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish

Then in either case type: cd Stockfish/src and compile it yourself via: sudo make -j4 profile-build ARCH=armv7

This compiles a binary called stockfish which runs on my Raspberry Pi 3b+ on Raspbian Stretch and my Asus Tinkerboard on Debian Stretch. This should also work on your system.


Cheers,

Al.
Thank you very much, Stockfish is finally working.

Raphexon
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Raphexon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm
What kind of speed is Raspberry Pi capable of?

Kilo nodes per second.
Roughly 512 kn/s with all 4 cores at opening.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 am

Is that the latest version 3?

I wounder if that speed makes it possible for top GMs to play against SF, without odds.

syzygy
Posts: 4447
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by syzygy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 am
Is that the latest version 3?

I wounder if that speed makes it possible for top GMs to play against SF, without odds.
It probably beats Borislav's Ivanonv's shoes from 2012/13.

Raphexon
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 am
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Raphexon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:33 pm

Nordlandia wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 am
Is that the latest version 3?

I wounder if that speed makes it possible for top GMs to play against SF, without odds.
The pi3b. If you have the pi3b+ or overclock the old 3b you may squeeze a few dozen extra kn/s out of it.

Stockfish would absolutely demolish any GM at that speed.

Fritz 8 was beating top humans in 2004 on a single core laptop. And the pi3b is stronger than a 15/16 year old laptop.
Either way Fritz 8 is 2666 on ccrl 40/4. SF beats 3000 ELO ccrl engines with 1/100 the amount of time. Humans stand no chance.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: How to make SF10 work for Arena 1.1 on the Raspberry Pi?

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm

How about the first version of pi?

Version 1.0 - 1core

Still no chance?

Post Reply