Longest games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Henk

Longest games

Post by Henk » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

yawn

Henk

Re: Longest games

Post by Henk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi hi hi hi Fairy max unable to win KNBk endgame.

"
Shame shame shame hey shame on you
If you can't dance too
I said shame shame shame shame shame shame shame
Shame on you
If you can't dance too
"

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 am

I get least at one long game like this around every 400 games or so. All my games are always played to the bitter end.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 am

here's one of the longer decisive games - it looks like 66. Rh7 was the losing move - after that move McCain gets a big score jump - from +.62 to +3.63 for black. Asmfish must have a bug , if you set up the position , it never considers 66.Rh7 , but it plays that move in 30 sec game with 2.5 second increment

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:30 am

If you play Lc0 with all adjudication turned off (which I do), you get excruciatingly long games.

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 am

Henk wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Hi hi hi hi Fairy max unable to win KNBk endgame.
Actually Fairy-Max 5.0 should be able to do that. In end-games like KBNK it is essential the static evaluation knows which corner to drive the King to. Otherwise it will trap him in the corner where no mate can be forced, and never allow him to escape.

But because Fairy-Max is a general chess-variant engine, it cannot have such variant-specific knowledge. Whatever it does, it must also work when it has to checkmate a bare King, say, with a Phoenix and a Mortar in Team-Mate Chess.

So I implemented the following solution: apart from the normal centralization table, which would push the bare King into any corner, there are also tables that only push the bare King in diametrically opposite corners, and keep it out of the other two. And whenever a bare King reaches a corner, this will switch the table it uses to the one that penalizes it in the other set of corners. Now usually the search depth of Fairy-Max is large enough to see the checkmate when the King is already cornered, in which case the static evaluation doesn't affect the search, and the switch of PST remains unnoticed. But if the bare King is in the wrong corner, there will be no mate in view, and the static evaluation will now promote driving the King to the nearest other corner, along an edge. Where hopefully the mate will be possible, and then spotted. This usually works well enough to win KBNK (as well as KMXK).

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 am

Check out the insanity of this game where it takes Lc0 almost 300 moves to checkmate:

Opinions expressed here are my own, and not necessarily those of the CCRL Group.

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

Well, what can you expect? It is explicitly trained for not being able to make progress. If at some stage it would prefer certain wins that take a few moves over certain wins that take many, many moves it is considered an error, and the NN is adjusted to assign the score +1.00 to both certain wins.

Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 am

Henk wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Hi hi hi hi Fairy max unable to win KNBk
Hihihi SchaakMachine unable To win a single game
Shaaame on you 😁
Does It know KKQ or KKR ? Hooope sooo 😉
Shame shame shame.....

Henk

Post by Henk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

Yes my engine is still in a bad state. Only once in a while able to win against fairy max.
KQk no problem. Don't know about KRk. Of course my engine can't win KBNk. Much too difficult.
But I was surprised that fairy max wasn't able to finish KBNk for it usually plays endgame very well.