Questions about graphics cards for Leela

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Metaphysician
Full name: Neil Kulick

Questions about graphics cards for Leela

Post by Metaphysician »

Hello. I could use some advice.
I have a fast machine -- two Xeon processors and 24 logical cores. My graphics card is three years old though and nothing special.
I would like to upgrade my machine by replacing the graphics card (and if possible adding a second card) so that I can use Lc0 with maximum effect. I have a generous budget; I could drop a few thousand dollars on graphics cards if doing so would optimize Leela. What graphics cards do folks recommend? Are two cards better than one? And if I get two, should the cards be identical?

Thank you for your help and expertise.
Werewolf

Re: Questions about graphics cards for Leela

Post by Werewolf »

Metaphysician wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:05 pm Hello. I could use some advice.
I have a fast machine -- two Xeon processors and 24 logical cores. My graphics card is three years old though and nothing special.
I would like to upgrade my machine by replacing the graphics card (and if possible adding a second card) so that I can use Lc0 with maximum effect. I have a generous budget; I could drop a few thousand dollars on graphics cards if doing so would optimize Leela. What graphics cards do folks recommend? Are two cards better than one? And if I get two, should the cards be identical?

If your M/B supports two cards, get two. Most important thing is to get the new cards which support FP16.

If you literally mean "a few thousand dollars" - you could get dual 2080 or 2080 Ti. I don't think they need to be identical.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Any of the new RTX cards is what you want, and two are even better. And they do not have to be the same RTX cards. TITAN RTX I think is still the fastest of the RTX lineup. Then the RTX 2080ti, RTX 2080, RTX 2070, and then the new RTX 2060.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I can see getting two graphic cards for analyzing two separate positions at the same time - but to get two graphics cards for analyzing one position is not cost effective. The second graphic card that is costing perhaps $1000 and is giving you a return of about 50 Elo. Of course, it's your money and if that is what you want to do, I wish you the very best.

Note: Although now retired, I was a CPA for over 30 years.
Metaphysician
Full name: Neil Kulick

Post by Metaphysician »

Thank you all for your excellent, helpful advice! I am very grateful.
Geonerd

Post by Geonerd »

Here are some benchmarks. As suggested, be sure to get a card capable of the running the fp-16 back end, as seen in the config notes. "--backend=cudnn-fp16"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1508569046
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

As a sidenote, people with a smaller budget should take a look at the GTX 1660, which supports the FP16 option, but not raytracing reflections:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... processor/

Interestingly, it has extra hardware components for FP16. Could serve Leela well I think.
Regards, Mike
brianr

Post by brianr »

Mike S. wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:14 pm As a sidenote, people with a smaller budget should take a look at the GTX 1660, which supports the FP16 option, but not raytracing reflections:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... processor/

Interestingly, it has extra hardware components for FP16. Could serve Leela well I think.
People should wait until there is proper FP16 support on the 1660-ti for Leela.
It currently does not have it according to an Nvidia dev.
Greyguy
Full name: Per Hesselgren

Post by Greyguy »

On Phoronix they have some Leela tests:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Benchmarks
Greyguy
Full name: Per Hesselgren

Post by Greyguy »

Greyguy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 pm On Phoronix they have some Leela tests:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Benchmarks