about the term of equal hardware

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Uri Blass
Posts: 8554
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

about the term of equal hardware

Post by Uri Blass » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 am

I think quality of hardware can be measured by time to be able to do a specific chess task with the best software that is possible to write.

Possible tasks:

1)calculating perft function(number of possible games of n plies from a given position).
2)finding the shortest mate.

I read that gpu is relatively good for 1 and the question if it is also relatively good for 2.

If gpu is also good for 2 then the conclusion is that lc0 use a better hardware relative to stockfish in games.

corres
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by corres » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 am

Uri Blass wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 am
I think quality of hardware can be measured by time to be able to do a specific chess task with the best software that is possible to write.

Possible tasks:

1)calculating perft function(number of possible games of n plies from a given position).
2)finding the shortest mate.

I read that gpu is relatively good for 1 and the question if it is also relatively good for 2.

If gpu is also good for 2 then the conclusion is that lc0 use a better hardware relative to stockfish in games.
There is no method to make comparison between chess power of CPU and chess power of GPU without subjectivizm.
Moreover a Leela fun is not interested in the objective comparison. The essence is the win of Leela -
even if it was without opening book, what is an evident incorrect benefit for Leela.

smatovic
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by smatovic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 am

Or simply 3) perform a parallel alphabeta search on gpu,

Zeta v099k with 11 to max 35 Mnps on Nvidia RTX Titan:

https://github.com/smatovic/Zeta/blob/m ... esults.txt

Regardless of all modesty, i am not aware of any other chess engine that is able
to utilize a gpu in such a way, but it would be fun to see how a team of fishy
eggheads give it a try :)

--
Srdja

smatovic
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by smatovic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:46 am

Okay, another try,

let us assume the best software is those which makes best use of the transistors
given on a specific chip.

So let us compare the transistor count and the clock frequency of TCEC hardware:

Nvidia RTX 2080 TI:
18.6 billion transistors clocked with max 1.545 GHz
Nvidia RTX 2080:
13.6 billion transistors clocked with max 1.710 GHz

2*Intel Xeon E5-2699v4:
2*7.2 billion transistors clocked with max 3.6 GHz


Even with the best black magic bit twiddling hacks you will be limited by
transistor count and frequency, now do the maths and tell me where the
hardware advantage is...

--
Srdja

j.korhonen
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 pm
Full name: Juhani Korhonen

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by j.korhonen » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Tell me more about Zeta GPU?

smatovic
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by smatovic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:06 pm

j.korhonen wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm
Tell me more about Zeta GPU?
In short, it is a port of Zeta Dva engine to OpenCL to run on a GPU.

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Zeta

https://zeta-chess.app26.de/

--
Srdja

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 16066
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by mclane » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

corres wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 am
Uri Blass wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 am
I think quality of hardware can be measured by time to be able to do a specific chess task with the best software that is possible to write.

Possible tasks:

1)calculating perft function(number of possible games of n plies from a given position).
2)finding the shortest mate.

I read that gpu is relatively good for 1 and the question if it is also relatively good for 2.

If gpu is also good for 2 then the conclusion is that lc0 use a better hardware relative to stockfish in games.
There is no method to make comparison between chess power of CPU and chess power of GPU without subjectivizm.
Moreover a Leela fun is not interested in the objective comparison. The essence is the win of Leela -
even if it was without opening book, what is an evident incorrect benefit for Leela.
You are a bean counter.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

User avatar
CMCanavessi
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by CMCanavessi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm

If all the hardware is available for any engine to use, and it's just the dev's decision to take advantage of it or not, then there's no such thing as "advantage". That's exactly the situation at TCEC.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls

mwyoung
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by mwyoung » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 pm

corres wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 am
Uri Blass wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 am
I think quality of hardware can be measured by time to be able to do a specific chess task with the best software that is possible to write.

Possible tasks:

1)calculating perft function(number of possible games of n plies from a given position).
2)finding the shortest mate.

I read that gpu is relatively good for 1 and the question if it is also relatively good for 2.

If gpu is also good for 2 then the conclusion is that lc0 use a better hardware relative to stockfish in games.
There is no method to make comparison between chess power of CPU and chess power of GPU without subjectivizm.
Moreover a Leela fun is not interested in the objective comparison. The essence is the win of Leela -
even if it was without opening book, what is an evident incorrect benefit for Leela.
+1

All I think we can do is let the Elo system do the heavy lifting. That mean on my system Stockfish on a 2950x is better then Lc0 4xxxx on 2080 ti with the latest nn. I see results on 4 and 8 core system were Lc0 is better.

This data will get to us to were we want to be.

I will be testing with 6 move book. I will not handicap CPU engines. To me Lc0 must win with my standard testing protacals.

And that means Lc0 will have the benefit of EGTB.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Take on me. foes 0

j.korhonen
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 pm
Full name: Juhani Korhonen

Re: about the term of equal hardware

Post by j.korhonen » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:59 pm

smatovic wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:06 pm
j.korhonen wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm
Tell me more about Zeta GPU?
In short, it is a port of Zeta Dva engine to OpenCL to run on a GPU.

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Zeta

https://zeta-chess.app26.de/

--
Srdja
classic parallel Alpha-Beta on GPU and open source. WOW. Why you not in TCEC?

Post Reply