Arena website down >= 48 hrs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

clumma

Re: Arena website down >= 48 hrs

Post by clumma »

What are people using instead of Arena?

-Carl
sincerelybrent
Full name: Brent M

Post by sincerelybrent »

Fritz is most stable in my experience. ChessGUI is ok and stable. Arena would be my fav, but it is buggy. I wish others would fix it. Others use Shredder, too, but I have little experience w/ it.
brianr

Post by brianr »

I like Winboard/Xboard and cutechess-cli.
I use Arena for "test driving" and engine and for analysis, but not for tourneys.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

clumma wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 pm What are people using instead of Arena?

-Carl
I ditched Arena a long time ago in favour of ChessGUI.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 pm I pay allways for the account "www.amateurschach.de" and many years for "www.playwitharena.com". Since around 7 or 8 years only for "www.amateurschach.de". But I am sure that Michael pay for the account, but this one isn't a topic for that forum. But I am sure, that the Arena guys today like it if the community will help to pay for that free work, I don't know ... or better ... it dosen't matter.

Again, for me is Arena since many years not longer a topic.
In the main time and development time from Arena it was a two-men project from Martin and myself. Michael Diosi helps us all the time. For me all work what can be important for computer chess (compatibility things, like UCI, FRC and a freeware GUI for all of us) was done. The project is one of the history things I do only.

But I am happy if others have fun with the old work around Arena we do. Sure that in times today, 15 years after the main work we do for Arena, not many other GUIs have such great options and possibilities Arena have. That was the deal we do with many persons, helps in development around Arena. A strong piece of software and for the history of computer chess and a proof how strong a commuity can work hand in hand. Later some other interesting projects, like Stockfish do the same. A group of people with strong programmers can do a lot.
Checked it few minutes ago and its still down...pretty important site...Probably vital that it stays operational...Nuperous people are still using it and downloading it. I used it for my early engine testing(w Lokasoft), then moved to Fritz and Shredder gui's Thx AR :D :wink:
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I prefer cutechess gui.
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

I like Arena, because after the tournaments it can stop the PC if I want. (Practice at night.) :P
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Gregory Owett wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:47 am I like Arena, because after the tournaments it can stop the PC if I want. (Practice at night.) :P
Arena's reputation isn't particularly promising, it's buggy from time to time.
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

Possible, nevertheless, it has some practical side, eg. we can change the composition of a tournament, without the restart.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

i have used Arean-Gui since the early beginning. Of course i ve looked to the left and the right - have tested all the others for sure.
But still stay with Arena, it is still for all these years the most comfortable chess-gui.
http://faceblitz.feste-ip.net:56132 (server sometimes sleeps - try later )