Arena website down >= 48 hrs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

clumma

Arena website down >= 48 hrs

Post by clumma »

Anyone know why? Is there a mirror?

http://playwitharena.com/

-Carl
Nordlandia

Re: Arena website down >= 48 hrs

Post by Nordlandia »

Maybe arena update?
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

Nordlandia wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:20 pm Maybe arena update?
))

Not...
Eugene Kotlov
Hedgehog 2.1 64-bit coming soon...
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

By the way immortal chess website has been down for few days now also.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

A WHOIS lookup says that the playwitharena.com domain expires on February 27, 2019.
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

A WHOIS lookup says that the playwitharena.com domain expires on February 27, 2019.
I used Arena a bit over the years. Did more engine vs engine matches in Winboard by the nature of the engines I used. Are the Arena folks still active? Be a shame to see them go without an arrangment for someone to host them somewhere their existing versions in use.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

I dont believe that Arena Website will go without saying goodbye and give the Community the chance to host the content on another webspace. May be it is down for just another reason
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

Well it's not only down its not paid for the domain past tomorrow. At 15 bucks or so a year or 20 this is a payment you make typically at least a month ahead of time not on the last day. Your ISP warns you the domain is expiring. So if the domain expires that is a sign of what may be going on. However they may come forward and speak to the community. Unless a drastic life even happened i don't see why not.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

good known, that I do nothing around Arena since some years.
But the Arena website is running all the time over a account from Hostix (provider) together with my own "www.amateurschach.de".

For some days a server goes completly defect.
Hostix repair that Sunday.

So, I load my complete files "www.amateurschach.de" again on the server and all runs fine.
Problem solved for myself.

Again, over that server and my account playwitharena is still running.
Admin is Michael Diosi and Martin Blume.

Andreas from Hostix told me, that my older partner's working with an old "PHP" version.
The new server running since Sunday can't understand the older "PHP" version.

So the Admin of Arena have to repair that or contact Andreas from Hostix directly for more information.

Sure that Michael Diosi (Arena Admin) will do that as soon as possible or Martin do that, I don't know.
I can repair that, but again ... I do nothing more for Arena and my time for that project ended for around 13 years.

Best
Frank
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

I pay allways for the account "www.amateurschach.de" and many years for "www.playwitharena.com". Since around 7 or 8 years only for "www.amateurschach.de". But I am sure that Michael pay for the account, but this one isn't a topic for that forum. But I am sure, that the Arena guys today like it if the community will help to pay for that free work, I don't know ... or better ... it dosen't matter.

Again, for me is Arena since many years not longer a topic.
In the main time and development time from Arena it was a two-men project from Martin and myself. Michael Diosi helps us all the time. For me all work what can be important for computer chess (compatibility things, like UCI, FRC and a freeware GUI for all of us) was done. The project is one of the history things I do only.

But I am happy if others have fun with the old work around Arena we do. Sure that in times today, 15 years after the main work we do for Arena, not many other GUIs have such great options and possibilities Arena have. That was the deal we do with many persons, helps in development around Arena. A strong piece of software and for the history of computer chess and a proof how strong a commuity can work hand in hand. Later some other interesting projects, like Stockfish do the same. A group of people with strong programmers can do a lot.