Thanks for LC0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Berger

Thanks for LC0

Post by Peter Berger »

During recent weeks I‘ve had so much fun with LC0 and watching it play.
So I want to give many thanks to the developpers. But also thanks to dkappe who made the setup pretty easy or at least bearable to me with all the explanations on his site.
I don’t own any powerful hardware, so I had to go with the BLAS version. I am running v.0.20.2 together with the 11258-112*9 „distilled“ weights file right now.
If you are somehow like me, you may not have dared to dive into this new engine world yet. But actually it is +way+ easier than you may have imagined so far.
You only need three files: the lc0.exe and libopenblas.dll you get from the Leela site, and the *pb.gz weights file. You dump them together in some random directory and point your Chess GUI to the lc0.exe file – and then it behaves just like any other UCI chess engine you already know setup-wise.
What I mostly did is let it play games at tournament time control against the most recent Crafty version (25.01) I still have on my computer – and watch the games live.
It feels a bit like the old times, where you could watch GMs successfully play chess engines on internet servers for your personal enjoyment. With both sides on steroids that is 😉 .
All moves by LC0 feel incredibly meaningful – and you get the impression that you maybe could even understand them fully if you weren’t that bad at chess. The Crafty moves feel like they usually do 😉 - quite strong, but weird at times.
At least on my computer I can already kind of reject the idea that Crafty can be competitive under these conditions (although not by hard maths yet). LC0 is winning about 90% of the points so far.
But watching the LC0 games is so much fun that I wanted to share my experience with you.

Peter
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Thanks for LC0

Post by mclane »

But on older systems these cpu versions are not running and come with all kind of dll missing errors when being started.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Peter Berger wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm During recent weeks I‘ve had so much fun with LC0 and watching it play.
So I want to give many thanks to the developpers.
Me too. Computer chess has become interesting again. This may be even better than the Rybka days (for those that enjoyed that!)
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Here are some of the people to thank:

"Majority of the codebase is from Leela Zero, which means Gian-Carlo Pascutto, along with several other major Leela Zero contributors you can find at https://github.com/gcp/leela-zero/blob/master/AUTHORS. The initial portation to chess was done by Benedict Diamond, but it was Gary Linscott who got it working, along with Folkert Huizinga. "
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

lc0 was a complete rewrite.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I also would like to thank whoever did this Lc0 project. I had completely lost interest in Chess and Computer Chess and wasn't really keeping up to date. The Lc0 thing has got me interested in all this stuff again, and it seems that things are just starting to get interesting!
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Gary Linscott is man behind Stockfish and LC0! Which one is he rooting in TCEC?
Jouni
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Jouni wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am Gary Linscott is man behind Stockfish and LC0! Which one is he rooting in TCEC?
Ah if that is true then hopefully SF will have a hybrid NN + AB version soon. That would be an incredible achievement and will make SF almost unbeatable!
Steppenwolf
Full name: Sven Steppenwolf

Post by Steppenwolf »

I also Hope this to have both NN & AB included in SF11. :D
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Jouni wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am Gary Linscott is man behind Stockfish and LC0! Which one is he rooting in TCEC?
Gary hasn’t been actively involved in the chess side of things for a while. While The Leela Go code provided the early basis for Leela Chess zero, it’s moved on from there quite a bit. Contributors can be seen in github: https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/g ... ntributors
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".