You lost to a cheater

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

You lost to a cheater

Post by AdminX »

I've been playing here for some time now, but this is the 1st time I've ever seen this on LiChess. Good to know they refund points however. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: You lost to a cheater

Post by M ANSARI »

That is pretty funny. Online cheating has made it so I only play 1 0 bullet chess. I think even at 2 1 or 3 0 , there is just too much cheating that it makes it very boring to play.
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Can you post the pgn?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Eduard wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 pm Can you post the pgn?
Unfortunately no, it did not give me the name of the cheater.
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

I have experienced cheaters a few times on Lichess, but generally it is very rare and the people I suspect are usually caught rather quickly and the points being refunded. Probably the bigger issue for me is that I tend to let it tilt me a bit too much and I used to keep playing after such games.

My favorite one was where my opponent very obviously cheated to the degree that I felt I could tell him after just one game that I didn't find what he was doing particularly funny. He acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. I proceeded to look for and then play a new opponent. I didn't manage to complete a single game before I got a message that I had faced a cheater and that my rating points had been refunded.

While it is possible that cheating is more rampant in lower rating brackets, I imagine it is more probable that it is harder for weaker players to judge whether someone is cheating.
-Jonathan
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

On Lichess no game is lost. All my games can be replayed by everyone. And I can also replay all games of each one!
komodoslash001
Full name: Jeremy Tyrania

Post by komodoslash001 »

did you play against a manual copy paste cheater, a manual copy paste/tab switch cheater, or a program/bot user cheater? :shock:
BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Post by BeyondCritics »

I see this regularily, maybe once in two or three weeks. My lichess rating flatters around 2250 currently, which is extremly bad considering that i am an FM.
Back in the days, when programs like Fritz or Shredder dominated, you could spot a cheater in an instant, because they would flood you with incredible dumb moves, but would never miss a tactical shot. But those days are gone for me. Nowadays I think that after two or three losses i might get suspicious and then i would check the profile of this guy. And if consider it as very lopsided, e.g. no tactics solved, and no variants(!) and very young, i would simply block him silently. I have seen cheaters which did some thirty tactics to cover them, but his ratings in variants would likely give him away.
Prof. Kenneth W. Regan did research on cheating in chess and there is some software from him online, which you can use to try to hunt down cheaters, although i never did that. I believe, his software is used within lichess, to spot cheaters.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

komodoslash001 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:14 am did you play against a manual copy paste cheater, a manual copy paste/tab switch cheater, or a program/bot user cheater? :shock:
Without the name I have no clue who it was. I play many blitz games a day. Don't have the time to check every game. I only look at the games I really enjoy. Sometimes I have my suspicions, but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

Post by reflectionofpower »

I have had the same thing happen to me on LiChess sometime back. LiChess is hands down the best chess site out there in my opinion.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie