Komodo 12.3 is out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

schack

Komodo 12.3 is out

Post by schack »

https://komodochess.com/Komodo12.htm

Quote from the webpage:

"Komodo mastermind GM Larry Kaufman introduces Komodo 12.3

December 17, 2018

We have just released Komodo 12.3. The normal version is about 5 elo stronger than Komodo 12.2.2 (plus any benefits you might get from using some seven piece Syzygy bases, which are supported starting with this version), while the MCTS version is about thirty elo stronger on one thread, over fifty elo stronger on four threads, and over seventy elo stronger on many threads at blitz time controls. While the MCTS version is not yet as strong as normal Komodo (unless you are using MultiPV), we believe it is among the top 5 engines. Komodo 12.3 MCTS is much better than all previous versions in its ability to utilize hardware with many cores. Elo gains in MCTS mode from version 12.1.1 are in the 200 to 250 range."

The emphasis on MCTS, which is admittedly of great interest for analytical tasks, does lead me to wonder whether we will see much more improvement for so-called 'normal Komodo.'
CositasBuenas

Re: Komodo 12.3 is out

Post by CositasBuenas »

Nice xmas present. Thanx!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

oh wow komodo 12.3 is out, how thrilling
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Yes, we released 12.3 this morning at Komodochess.com, which is free to subscribers and to purchasers of 12.2 since there were still some bugs unfixed by 12.2.2. It is virtually the same version now playing in division one of TCEC, and is an improved version of the one looking likely to qualify for the next stage of CCC. We have added support for seven man Syzygy Tablebases to both regular and MCTS Komodo 12.3. Although the full set of seven man bases is too large for most people to download and store, a majority of the benefit can be had from just the two most common endings, which are easily downloaded and stored on SSD.
Normal Komodo has been improved by just a few elo (aside from 7 man Syzygy) by revised contempt, revised time management, and speedups. But Komodo MCTS has been improved quite a bit since 12.2.2, about thirty elo in blitz games on single thread, from improved time management (especially for repeating time controls) and improved move selection criteria. We have also fixed bugs and found improvements to MCTS MP, so the gains on four threads exceed fifty elo and on machines averaging about 15 threads exceed seventy elo! This is all on top of the enormous gains made between 12.1.1 and 12.2.2 MCTS. Also please note that although 12.3 MCTS is still nearly a hundred elo below normal 12.3, it can already defeat 12.3 if both are in MultiPV = 2 (or more) mode. For this reason, I have switched to using the MCTS version myself when analyzing games or openings.
In blitz matches on four threads Komodo 12.3 MCTS came out ahead against Ethereal 11.00, Stockfish 6, and Komodo 9.2, which average nearly 3400 on CCRL four cpu 40/4 list, while losing by about 15 elo to the higher-rated Fire 7.1, so we expect 12.3 MCTS to top 3400 on CCRL 40/4 and to earn whatever ratings are equivalent on other lists. There are no known bugs in 12.3 so we encourage rating lists to test the MCTS version at least, especially on multiple threads.
Regarding the future, given that Komodo MCTS has been progressing at about ten times the rate of normal Komodo, it does not take a computer scientist to predict that it will become our flagship version in 2019, although this is not guaranteed. Version 12.3 will probably be the last one that combines regular and MCTS Komodo, they will soon become distinct programs, although subscribers will still get both. My personal view is that the future looks very bright for Komodo MCTS, as it is still in its infancy or perhaps early childhood.
Komodo rules!
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

That's awesome Larry (and Mark) . Keep up the great work! :)
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Unfortunately MCTS version of Komodo 12.3 is buggy. The engine will not respond sometimes during 12-13 moves, and will stop ponder, when it is its turn to move. Infinity Chess server. The picture I will show you is where Komodo was thinking for almost 5 min ( no ponder) on its move and it still have not moved, in a simple position.

Here it is: http://www.solidfiles.com/v/nGDaGANWKwBLx
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

shrapnel wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm oh wow komodo 12.3 is out, how thrilling
(Ecclesiastes 5:10)  A lover of silver will never be satisfied with silver, nor a lover of wealth with income. This too is futility.

I too, am thrilled. But like you, I shall also wait with baited breath for 12.4,5,6,7,8...

We are never satisfied.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Don't mind him Dann. I have never seen more negative person than Shrapnel. He always keeps whinning how Komodo is bad engine, but would like to get it for free if he could.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Damir wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 pm Unfortunately MCTS version of Komodo 12.3 is buggy. The engine will not respond sometimes during 12-13 moves, and will stop ponder, when it is its turn to move. Infinity Chess server. The picture I will show you is where Komodo was thinking for almost 5 min ( no ponder) on its move and it still have not moved, in a simple position.

I cannot immediately reproduce this so I asked Damir to send me more information. A direct email to me will reach me fastest.

Mark
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Damir wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 pm Unfortunately MCTS version of Komodo 12.3 is buggy. The engine will not respond sometimes during 12-13 moves, and will stop ponder, when it is its turn to move. Infinity Chess server. The picture I will show you is where Komodo was thinking for almost 5 min ( no ponder) on its move and it still have not moved, in a simple position.

We don't normally test with Ponder and Sudden Death (no increment) at the same time, but I'm running some fast games that way on Fritz GUI between 12.3 and 12.2.2 (both MCTS mode, two threads) and so far 12.3 is up 5 to 1 with no obvious long thinks or other problems. For games played over the internet the default Overhead ms = 50 is not enough, should be at least 100, so if you are not already using at least 100 try this to see if it solves the problems. Whatever the issue is, it is probably related to online playing, especially on 18 threads, together with Ponder and no increment. If Overhead is not the issue, perhaps try playing with one second increment to see if the problem persists. MCTS is not really intended for games with less than half a second increment (or per move time), although it should still work properly.
Komodo rules!