Komodo 12.2 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tpoppins

Re: Komodo 12.2 Announcement

Post by tpoppins »

Jouni wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 am Additional testing: crashes also with one core in Fritz GUI. And log file don't say anything helpful :( ..
You should at least copy the WER report from Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application log. It should contain the exception number and address in hex.

The Event Log can be accessed quickly via Win+R -> eventvwr.msc.

Another place to look is C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER. Typically there will be a subfolder named after the crashing program, sometimes that will contain a core dump in addition to the .txt WER report.
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Here's log:

komodo-12.2-64bit-bmi2.exe
5bdf6a26
komodo-12.2-64bit-bmi2.exe
5bdf6a26
c0000005 = exception code
00000000000351ed
29a8
01d476c5fb6cf512
C:\Komodo\komodo-12.2-64bit-bmi2.exe
C:\Komodo\komodo-12.2-64bit-bmi2.exe
5d0120d8-dc5c-46b3-880d-9005fae872a3

Hope this helps.
Jouni
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

i am owner of Komodo 12.1.1 what is allready updated from version 12.0

how i can now update from 12.1.1 to 12.2 ?? the Fritz GUI doesnt update ...?!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Did you buy from ChessBase or from KomodoChess? You only get 12.2 for free if you are a subscriber, and ChessBase doesn't sell subscriptions.
Komodo rules!
cma6

Adding 7-man Syzygy support

Post by cma6 »

"we do not yet have support for 7-piece Syzygy, but it is on the list."

Mark, when doing this, how would you access 7-piece Syzygy?

As far as I know, in Aquarium SF or its variant asmFish also don't directly access 7-man Syzygy TBs, but rather access 6-man Syzygy on disk.

However, Aquarium GUI does give "TB7 online" access. Can you work out something with Chess OK to do this directly in Komodo? If so, Komodo would then have superior TB access and would be the must-use engine when approaching 7-man positions.
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm Did you buy from ChessBase or from KomodoChess? You only get 12.2 for free if you are a subscriber, and ChessBase doesn't sell subscriptions.
yes from Chessbase, first i had an update from 12 to 12.1.1 automaticly, now there is no updates to 12.2
mjlef

Re: Adding 7-man Syzygy support

Post by mjlef »

cma6 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 pm "we do not yet have support for 7-piece Syzygy, but it is on the list."

Mark, when doing this, how would you access 7-piece Syzygy?

As far as I know, in Aquarium SF or its variant asmFish also don't directly access 7-man Syzygy TBs, but rather access 6-man Syzygy on disk.

However, Aquarium GUI does give "TB7 online" access. Can you work out something with Chess OK to do this directly in Komodo? If so, Komodo would then have superior TB access and would be the must-use engine when approaching 7-man positions.
So, both chess GUI and a chess engine can access Syzygy. SOme chess GUIs can just play the rest of the game once they reach a tablebase position. I do not think the CHessbase GUIs have 7 piece Syzygy access yet. And we have not added it to Komodo, but it is on the list. Our Syzygy guy has a new kid and has been very busy this summer, but I am sure he will get to it when he has time. It is actually more complicated to do than you might think, or I would have done it myself.

The hard part for most people is how can they afford to download the huge files. If I go over 1 TB a month, I get charged by the GB by the lovely COmcast company. I literally cannot afford to download them. Hopefully that changes in the future.

Mark
cma6

Post by cma6 »

Mark:
My idea was that very few people download full 7-man TBs--just too big to get or store on disk; maybe too big to access quickly on disk. Therefore, what your TB guy should think about is having Komodo access 6-man TB on disk, as it always has; and access 7-man TB from an online repository, e.g., the one maintained by Chess OK, vendor of Aquarium.
If your team can do that, then Komodo becomes a must-have product for correspondence players.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Downloading all 7 men Syzygy is needless. Someone posted the most common 7 men endgames here a while ago, listing both the top in human and computer games. It's very top heavy. Most configurations just don't occur in practice.

You can fit the most common ones in WDL format on a 500G or 1TB SSD.

But I would be interested in Komodo's support for probing them from a HDD. Stockfish is pretty terrible at this because it probes much too frequently, or if you tone it down, it doesn't probe the 6 men as much as it should. I understood Komodo has an option specifically to deal with this.

I'd rather buy Komodo than have to implement smart probing in Stockfish, but if It doesn't even support 7 men, well...
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 am Downloading all 7 men Syzygy is needless. Someone posted the most common 7 men endgames here a while ago, listing both the top in human and computer games. It's very top heavy. Most configurations just don't occur in practice.

You can fit the most common ones in WDL format on a 500G or 1TB SSD.

But I would be interested in Komodo's support for probing them from a HDD. Stockfish is pretty terrible at this because it probes much too frequently, or if you tone it down, it doesn't probe the 6 men as much as it should. I understood Komodo has an option specifically to deal with this.

I'd rather buy Komodo than have to implement smart probing in Stockfish, but if It doesn't even support 7 men, well...
Hi, do you have a link to the post of the most common 7 man suggestions
"May your next game be your best"